Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know.....you cant tell until you try it.....but, just for fun, just give me your guess as to whether you think I will rub. I dont care if I have to cut the body mounts....but dont want to cut them if I dont have to. Anyway, here is the set-up. New tires, wheels, and 1.25" spidertrax. Hopefully all being done at the same time/same day. Oh...and I do already have a 3'" RC lift installed.

Wheels--- 17x9 with +10 offset (5.4" backspacing)
Tires----- 33x12.5x17 AT's
Spidertrax-1.25"

Personally....I think it will be close. Because, even though the wheel is 9 inches wide, it still only has a 5.4" backspace. Stock wheel is 7.5" wide with 4.5" backspacing. So just considering the wheels the new ones would stick out only about a half inch more than the stock. (the smaller the backspacing #, the more the wheel will stick out for those who dont know).

The tire is another story. 12.5" wide....hmmmm.......gonna be close? ....definately rub?.....I should be fine? what do you think?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would guess that you would be fine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It will Rub ... Sounds like a body mount chop to me.. ..

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Might not without the SpyderTrax spacers but with them it will definately rub. Will need to chop.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hard to tell since you're going to run a spacer.

For reference, I run BFG M/T 255/85/16 (33"x~10") and it's about 1/4" from the body mount at one spot while turning the wheel. 2.5" wider tires with a 1.25" spacer will probably still rub, now that I look at the numbers.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
It sounds to me that with this setup there is a big possibility that it will rub. But as I think about it and wonder which brand of parts you will be using as well as thinking about lunch break I beleive there is an equal chance that you wil not rub. so yeah, you will either rub, or not. that is final!:cowfrown:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you will either rub, or not. that is final!:cowfrown:
AWESOME!! Thats what I thought.....thanks!! haha.

The offset of the wheel is good (even with the spacer I dont think it would rub). But the width of the tire is what might cause problems.

So, either I eliminate the spacer (which I dont want to do since I want the wide stance and I already bought them). Or, option #2 is that I get a skinnier tire (I dont want to do that either). Option #3 is that I just do the chop and be done with it. (Option #4 is that, by some miracle, this set-up works without doing the chop)

The problem with the chop is that I dont weld. I dont mind getting out the sawzall and hacking the mounts off.....but is it ok to leave the mounts hacked without welding them back up with steel plates??

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
It will rub. Sorry.

Yes you MUST chop the body mounts. Take the truck to a welding shop and ask them to do the work for you. It won't cost that much.

Even after you've chopped the mounts I think that you have rubbing issues at full turning lock - and at full compression off-road.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Penrose, you have no choice but to get a spacer. Without the spacer, you'll be rubbing the UCA all day. The comment on rubbing is in regards to casual use. Hard offroading, you will definitely rub.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Penrose, you have no choice but to get a spacer. Without the spacer, you'll be rubbing the UCA all day. The comment on rubbing is in regards to casual use. Hard offroading, you will definitely rub.
I dont do any hard off-roading. Dont flame me, but I hardly do any off-roading period. That doesn't mean that I wont someday.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Do the chop add the spacers and your good to go!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I dont do any hard off-roading. Dont flame me, but I hardly do any off-roading period. That doesn't mean that I wont someday.
No, not flaming at all! I'm just clarifying my response. For street use, you may not hit the body mounts. For off roading you will surely need them chopped.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How bad is it to do the chop and leave them open?? You know.....not weld them back shut with steel plates? I can do the chop.....but I cant weld.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
How bad is it to do the chop and leave them open?? You know.....not weld them back shut with steel plates? I can do the chop.....but I cant weld.
Leave it open if you like, I cut mine back farther after wheelin hard and I rubbed again. I cut back more and filed the sharp edges and have no problems. The little peice of steel you weld back really makes no difference since all this area is a support for a gromet and is nothing to do with the structural integrity of the whole. There is still plenty of support to this area after the cut.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess what I did today?............

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chop chop. Did you weld it close?
Yepper....had Chop-Suey for lunch. I didn't weld it close. Not yet, anyway. I will have to have someone do that for me at a later time for two reasons. #1....I don't weld. And #2.....I am hopefully getting my new wheels/tires/spidertrax installed tomorrow and who knows......I may have to end up chopping more than I already chopped today. After a test fit and a test drive I will decide if that is necessary. But as for the chop itself.....took less than 30 min and I am relieved that its done and over with.:rocker:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts