Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, as all of you know, the stock system sucks in the FJC. But I've read a lot of people upgrading their speakers and getting rid of the $hit speakers with sorry excuse for magnets. I just ordered 4" Infinity Kappas for the A and D pillars and 6x9 kappas for the Doors. I also have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfects 10.1 subs. Now I know that I will need an amp for the subs but do you guys think I'll need an amp for the A pillar and door speakers too or do you think the stock HU will have enough power to drive them? Was thinking of replacing the stock HU with something with Navi but in actuallity, the stock HU provides everything I need at the moment except navi. Not really sure what the wattages per channel are or how the stereo is wired either. Does anyone out there have a wiring schematics for the stereo system? :slant: Would really appreciate if anyone can help out! Thanks in advance guys/gals!!!! :roller:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link Bang Bang. That'll help out a lot! Did you noticed a big difference when you swapped out the speakers to the Infinitys?

Chris, is the FJammer is an amplified HU? According to the documentation, all the speakers run to the HU and not an amp. and looking at the output wattages, it doesn't look like its amplified. :slant:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would like to say I noticied a big difference but I also put a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat the same day I changed out the speakers. WOW!!! What a difference that made!! If you are going to amp off the FJammer, I would reccommend getting high quality line level to rca converters. The first ones I got were cheap and I got a good bit of white noise that you could hear even when the volume was turned down to zero. Then I got some better ones and they made the difference. Paid $15 each and I just gave them to FJAggie07 because I have since replaced the HU. Now it's really starting to sound like I want it. A few more tweaks and I'll be good to go. :roller:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at the pdf file for the speaker circuitry and noticed that it doesn't have the wire color schematics. Only shows how the speakers are hooked up. Obviously, I will be installing a decent line level converter on the speaker outputs so I can run it to the amp but that will require me to know what wire is which (via the wire color). Does anyone out there have the color chart that reference this?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the link Bang Bang. That'll help out a lot! Did you noticed a big difference when you swapped out the speakers to the Infinitys?

Chris, is the FJammer is an amplified HU? According to the documentation, all the speakers run to the HU and not an amp. and looking at the output wattages, it doesn't look like its amplified. :slant:
The FJammer has amps - they're just inside the head unit. Every stereo has to have amplification someplace, or you'd be singing along with the road noise!

You'll notice a huge difference if you add external amps. But you'll need to replace the speakers anyway, so if it was me, and I was wondering how much money I really needed to spend, I'd just upgrade the speakers and see what I thought. Speakers are easy to install, more amps - not so much.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
not enough for me, my truck that i just sold was flexing to roof before i ripped everything out. i have a stack of stuff that is going in the FJ sooner or later. i havent really decided on what i want to do yet though. i was thinking about maybe two 6" mids in the front doors, tweets in the stock location, dont know about the rears, and like two 12"s ported.

·
Registered
18 Posts
well heres the plan i got a pair of mb quart qsd 216's 6.5 component speaks for the door powered by a jl 300/2 amp and i have a box that fits perfectally with (2) jl 12'' w4 subs powered by a jl 500/1 sub amp and i plan to use the f jammer with some line converters i got some good ones from fosgate that im going to run to an old school style kenwood 5 band eq to enhance and control the sub more of course i didnt scrimp on the install stuff its the details that kill the eq i plan on putting it in the console by the atrac switches thats why i went with a small one and the amber lights mimic the oem ones im trying to go stealth and dont wanna atract too much attn but i dont want the eq in the glove box either im hidding the amps under the seats and dyna mat is gonna be everywhere i got the extreme bulk pack so to make this long post short and sence of it all i hope she doesnt skip to much or ill have to replace it :bandit: :rocker: almost got all the stuff collected and ill get some pics and maybe do a write up :jawdrop: i owe i owe so off to work i go:boohoo:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
i think i have it planned out. after talking to the stereo master today, we came up with three Digital Designs (DD) 8"s ported powered by my zapco reference DC 1100.1. Run the front Zapco Reference component speakers actively from my reference DC 650.6 with the mid in the door, and tweet in the factory location on the dash, and for the rears, ditch the stock location and fab up something on the rear for a 6.5" driver, maybe another reference component set. it doesnt really make a difference because the amps have time delay built into them, as well as a 10 band EQ per channel, and much more all controlled from a computer.

the nice thing is, i already have most of the gear from my truck. alpine 9855 deck, the components, amps, and all the symbilink wiring.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I was looking at the pdf file for the speaker circuitry and noticed that it doesn't have the wire color schematics. Only shows how the speakers are hooked up. Obviously, I will be installing a decent line level converter on the speaker outputs so I can run it to the amp but that will require me to know what wire is which (via the wire color). Does anyone out there have the color chart that reference this?
Dangeris -

Look at this thread if you haven't found it already (sorry it took so long to come back to this thread...I had to clean out the garage yesterday so I could park the FJ inside!!!).

Audio FAQ part 1

Check this one too...

Audio FAQ part 2

Hope this helps!! :roller:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts