Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I can't remember at the moment (long day). Doesn't the oil pan plug have a magnet? If so, no need for the expensive filter mag IMO.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I used them on my jeeps, but don't see one listed for the stock FJ filter. They are super strong... It's tough to get them off the old filter.. I've read many reports and seen photos of filters cut apart and they do catch metal. Ron

If you guys don't know what it is here is the link:

FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

I saw one of my buddies using a filtermag (ss300) on his taco, do any of you guys run these? I'm interested in getting one, and just wanted to get any input from the crowd over here.

Any input is welcomed!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have to agree with Toledo.
I have been running some old disk drive magnets on my oil filter and a magnetic drain plug since new. To be honest, I haven't seen much in the way of particles on the plug. But I think that it's cheap insurance.
HTH.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Save yourself a few dollars and pick up two sets of these.
NSN0635 - Rare Earth Magnet - Block - 2.000 x 0.500 x 0.125 - Package of 4 - Detail
These are the same magnets they use. These are the strongest natural magnets you can get. Two sets will give you eight magnets. I have them on my FJ and they work great. I use little Silicone to make sure they don't vibrate from the position I put the in. I like to save money where I can, so why should I pay someone else money to do something I can obviously do myself. Good luck. If the link does not work the magnets you want o get are the 2"x.5" they come four to a package.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Save yourself a few dollars and pick up two sets of these.
NSN0635 - Rare Earth Magnet - Block - 2.000 x 0.500 x 0.125 - Package of 4 - Detail
These are the same magnets they use. These are the strongest natural magnets you can get. Two sets will give you eight magnets. I have them on my FJ and they work great. I use little Silicone to make sure they don't vibrate from the position I put the in. I like to save money where I can, so why should I pay someone else money to do something I can obviously do myself. Good luck. If the link does not work the magnets you want o get are the 2"x.5" they come four to a package.
I've been doing this for years. I picked up some small powerful ceramic magnets and simply slap one on the top of the oil filter. Logic tells me it can't hurt and might actually provide some positive benefits even though any significant particulates would not pass the filter anyway. Particles small enough to make it through the filter probably don't do any harm. I also thought the oil pan drain plug was magnetic. I just put that on my to do maintenance list. Very cheap insurance IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts