Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this here.

As I add circuits to my FJ the wiring seems to get exponentially more and although I've done my utmost to ensure every wire is labelled I am sure that anyone else taking over my vehicle will have heart failure and think it is an incomprehensible jumble of wires. When I've done anything a little more complicated I've scribbled a schematic on a sheet of paper but now I've found an on line site where you can draw schematics - neatly-

So you get something like this...

Then you click download and save it to your 'puter. I'm Mac so I thought it would be easier to do it on the iPad with a stylus... but it doesn't work properly, (or I couldn't figure it) you need a cursor to drag stuff around.

I then put the diagram into Pages and added the relevant info.

Hopefully this will help if I can't recall what I did, or if someone else is trying to trace stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,919 Posts
Nice! I used engineering paper, ruler and a pen....this probably would have been neater.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup, I use a site like that, too - might be that exact one; I've lost the link...

The other thing I do is maintain a "Aftermarket Owner's & Maintenance Manual" that covers the maintenance & configuration for all the stuff I've added, in the way that an owner's manual & maintenance manual would. New circuits get their diagrams added in there along with a "what" and a "why," printed out and kept in physical form, too.

I also - when possible - (at least for connectors), label the connector in sharpie and then add a piece of clear scotch tape over the top of the label - this will preserve the label for a very long time, and then when you see the circuit you don't have to wonder; the connector says things like "DRL Power" or "CB Memory" or "Aux Battery Power," etc.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Thought I'd share this here.

As I add circuits to my FJ the wiring seems to get exponentially more and although I've done my utmost to ensure every wire is labelled I am sure that anyone else taking over my vehicle will have heart failure and think it is an incomprehensible jumble of wires. When I've done anything a little more complicated I've scribbled a schematic on a sheet of paper but now I've found an on line site where you can draw schematics - neatly-

So you get something like this...
View attachment 1121672

Then you click download and save it to your 'puter. I'm Mac so I thought it would be easier to do it on the iPad with a stylus... but it doesn't work properly, (or I couldn't figure it) you need a cursor to drag stuff around.

I then put the diagram into Pages and added the relevant info.

View attachment 1121673

Hopefully this will help if I can't recall what I did, or if someone else is trying to trace stuff.
Very nice! Bookmarked to save the link (y)

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@101Firedog I’m not quite as organised as you but do have a folder with all aftermarket part manuals and info and invoices in it and my maintenance is logged on a spreadsheet. I have a label printer so I tag wires and label relays, fuse boxes etc I don’t have many connectors, all joints are soldered. When I sold my old Land Cruiser it went with a ‘manual’ folder about 6” thick!

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Great documentation for you and the next owner if you ever sell it.

Something to consider if you’re using different colored wires is to add that to your prints. Labels are excellent at the term points but colors give you a quick validation if a low light half blind situation.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
You couldn't have posted this at a better time! I've been using DraftSight (free version of 2D CAD) to document my aux circuits for a long time. They just decided to discontinue their free version so I've been looking around for something as a replacement. The tools and symbol libraries this has will make it easy to keep the scaling and layout consistent. I also like that it has a downloadable version so you can still use it off line. The only thing I don't like besides the colors that Bar3K mentioned is that it doesn't appear to have the ability to export files to .dxf or some other portable format. Can't have everything for free I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts