Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I've seen a few threads and posts on this but I wondered if I can get VERY specific here. I'm wanting to have a 2" or 2-1/2" front end leveling kit installed. Here are my questions: (1) Is the 2" just right or is the 2-1/2" just right as far as level with the back? (2) Does the polyurethane coil over spacer really reduce road noise and last as long as the aluminum? (3) Does leveling the front end turn the handling and ride into crap? I love the way the stock suspension rides, but I HATE the stock front end rake! Why, oh why didn't Toyota level these from the factory? Keep in mind, I don't have much to spend, I just want to even it up without sacrificing the handling, and smooth road ride.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
2" is the most you'll need, unless you've added a bumper/winch to the front end. 1.75" was perfect to level for me and I did so with the adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks set on the 3rd level. The ride actually improved over stock. Mine need replacing now(~80k miles). Just bought another pair for the front for $200.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Ok. I've seen a few threads and posts on this but I wondered if I can get VERY specific here. I'm wanting to have a 2" or 2-1/2" front end leveling kit installed. Here are my questions: (1) Is the 2" just right or is the 2-1/2" just right as far as level with the back? (2) Does the polyurethane coil over spacer really reduce road noise and last as long as the aluminum? (3) Does leveling the front end turn the handling and ride into crap? I love the way the stock suspension rides, but I HATE the stock front end rake! Why, oh why didn't Toyota level these from the factory? Keep in mind, I don't have much to spend, I just want to even it up without sacrificing the handling, and smooth road ride.
Tony

The DayStar Kit (inexpensive) I purchased for my 2013 TT was perfect.
It allowed me to run 285's with no issues and I was happy with the ride quality on the highway. Speed bumps were a be'Otch tho. If you just want to level the front the 2" kit will be fine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Guys, was looking for a thread like this and thanks for posts! Have now paid off other car, so time for some mods on my 11 TT which is getting Baja rack and lights, so ARB bumper and winch next. So Daystar 2" be a good solution, at least until what front suspension changes needed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2" is the most you'll need, unless you've added a bumper/winch to the front end. 1.75" was perfect to level for me and I did so with the adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks set on the 3rd level. The ride actually improved over stock. Mine need replacing now(~80k miles). Just bought another pair for the front for $200.
Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks, and nothingn else? cool. How is the install?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony

It allowed me to run 285's with no issues and I was happy with the ride quality on the highway. Speed bumps were a be'Otch tho. If you just want to level the front the 2" kit will be fine.
I've been definitely looking at the Daystar 2" polyurethane front level kit. Would 2-1/2" be too much? I was quoted $140 for the kit, $180 to install, plus alignment (maybe around $80).

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I've been definitely looking at the Daystar 2" polyurethane front level kit. Would 2-1/2" be too much? I was quoted $140 for the kit, $180 to install, plus alignment (maybe around $80).
PAY THE $180 for install !!!! I can't be more serious.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PAY THE $180 for install !!!! I can't be more serious.....
LOL! I hear you. There was a time when I enjoyed wrenching on my ride, but I can turn a two hour project into a weekender quite easily. And the price quote is right. Now if I can just convince the wife that the FJ is in desperate need of leveling, haha!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ez-Lift I purchased the 2 inch level spacer. spacer is like 1 inch but will lift to 2 inches. very easy install with a buddy and air tools. rides just as good as it did before just without the front brake dive and front rake.. you can see red lights better and if just seems to ride better being level. no noises /squeaks. very happy with being level. Just remember to get an alignment afterwards

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tony

What is the issue with speed bumps? I am also looking at a basic leveling kit for the front. Thanks!

NZDZRT

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
What is the issue with speed bumps? NZDZRT
^

My issue is that the bottom seems to drop out if you don't creep over them....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am running 2" supreme suspension leveler on my 11' TT. Cornering seems to be improved, and I can see stop lights now :) More clearance off-road is also a good thing. I think it sits a hair high in the front, but I dig the look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am running 2" supreme suspension leveler on my 11' TT. Cornering seems to be improved, and I can see stop lights now :) More clearance off-road is also a good thing. I think it sits a hair high in the front, but I dig the look.

Very nice stance!! Ok, here's an update with another question: On our local Toyota lot, there are a few pre-owned FJ's for sale. One of them has definitely got a front end level kit installed. The stance, plus the tire size looks PERFECT. I measured and wrote down a few dimensions. Front hub to fender is 22-1/2". Back hub to fender is 22", so it sits ever so slightly higher in the front. Tire size is P285,70 R17 117S and they are mounted on stock 19" Toyota wheels. Thing is, I looked under the front fender and I didn't see a coilover spacer that looked much different than stock. The shock was blue, not factory. Possibly a Bilstein?
Anyway, the thing sat perfect. Looked great, and it convinced me that is the lift I'm going for (eventually). Nothing radical, but just right. Does anyone have $1400 I can borrow? Ha-ha! :smile

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed the Supreme Suspensions 2" kit on my 2007. With a full tank of gas, my front is 1/8" lower than the rear. Ride is the same as stock. I feel handling is better. I don't miss the feeling of driving down hill all the time. Eliminating the braking nose dive is a big plus.

I felt the install was fairly easy. It took me about 2-1/2 hours by myself, in my garage with a floor jack, jack stands and no power/air tools.

I was the best mod I have made so far. And... the kit is fairly inexpensive at supreme suspensions.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Guys, was looking for a thread like this and thanks for posts! Have now paid off other car, so time for some mods on my 11 TT which is getting Baja rack and lights, so ARB bumper and winch next. So Daystar 2" be a good solution, at least until what front suspension changes needed?

Thanks!
I'm also running a Daystar spacer lift, and I'm far from an expert, but I wanted to comment on this real quick.
The spacer uses the existing stock front coils, so you need to be careful about hanging a lot of weight on the front end. By doing so you may be causing yourself problems. For example, it's going to negate any lift you added by pulling down the front, and it may actually give you a bit of a funky ride and exaggerated nose dip when breaking. Its probably a better idea to start looking at a true lift kit with heavier coil-overs and shocks if you want to start aggressively modding.

As far as the ride goes, my ride didn't change when I added the Daystar. If anything it actually got a little better. I'm not sure what the comment about speed bumps was about, I haven't had any issues. I'm not a real aggressive off-roader, so the Daystar was a really economical way for me to add larger tires for hunting and hiking.

Last thing I wanted to say was about doing it yourself versus having it done. It isn't that hard to do. A buddy and I took about 4 hours to do it while splitting a 6 pack. Not only was there a great sense of accomplishment but it was also a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. That being said, it really helps to have a little bit of basic mechanical skill and the right tools. Floor jacks, jack stands, impact wrenches, etc. Its not impossible without them, but it definitely makes it easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm also running a Daystar spacer lift, and I'm far from an expert, but I wanted to comment on this real quick.
The spacer uses the existing stock front coils, so you need to be careful about hanging a lot of weight on the front end. By doing so you may be causing yourself problems. For example, it's going to negate any lift you added by pulling down the front, and it may actually give you a bit of a funky ride and exaggerated nose dip when breaking. Its probably a better idea to start looking at a true lift kit with heavier coil-overs and shocks if you want to start aggressively modding.

As far as the ride goes, my ride didn't change when I added the Daystar. If anything it actually got a little better. I'm not sure what the comment about speed bumps was about, I haven't had any issues. I'm not a real aggressive off-roader, so the Daystar was a really economical way for me to add larger tires for hunting and hiking.

Last thing I wanted to say was about doing it yourself versus having it done. It isn't that hard to do. A buddy and I took about 4 hours to do it while splitting a 6 pack. Not only was there a great sense of accomplishment but it was also a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. That being said, it really helps to have a little bit of basic mechanical skill and the right tools. Floor jacks, jack stands, impact wrenches, etc. Its not impossible without them, but it definitely makes it easier.
Hey Tulsa isn't that far from New Mexico. Make the drive to help and I'll spring for a whole TWELVE pack. And not that domestic stuff, either. :) Thanks for the post. I like the Daystar kit for what I'm looking to do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts