Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi FJ Team! Well, I did the Flush. But I’m not confident I put things back together correctly :( by that I mean I accidentally loosened this bolt (see pics) and this flat metal thing, which is actually 2 pieces of metal and I’m not sure if I put it together right. Also, another mistake is that I checked the ATF without turning on the car and now not sure if I got enough in the tranny. Now my tranny is starting to slip and not sounding good as if struggling to change gears at around 40 mph. Please Help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
This would be a good question for FJtest. It's a manual adjusting rod for something. Doing a search didn't help either. If like to know myself.

As far as the transmission servicing, see my method below.

So I would recommend if you have never removed your pan, do it to clean the magnets and change the filter screen.

As far as flushing, I really don't think it's necessary unless your doing it because you already have a problem. Just the simple dump and fill works great as long as it actually gets done.

I do it every 50k miles. If you tow a bunch. Do it more often.

Here is the procedure I've been using for awhile and don't have any problem.

Ok, the transmission has to be operating while servicing. Only way to get the fluid level correct.

So you basically do what you already did which is to drain the pan.

Measure how much came out and put that much new fluid back in.

Operate the transmission through all the gears just in your driveway, I usually remain in each gear selection for a few seconds. Usually cycle through a few times.

This is where people choose different paths to get to the end....

1. Now you can warm up the transmission to, and I forget the actual range, think it's 104-113 degrees F. Use a temp gun on the transmission pan or scan tool and monitor the transmission temp.
Open the check level drain and see what comes out. If it is draining wait for it to be a small trickle and close the drain and your done. If nothing comes out then you need to add fluid, you can do this while it's running. Wait for a small trickle and close the drain and your done.

Or you can choose this path...

2. After adding new fluid and cycling the gears, drain the pan again. Repeat this process until you feel you have changed out enough fluid to make yourself feel good...lol. then get it up to temp and do the final level check I described above.

Me personally I dump it twice and I change the screen filter every other service at 50K miles. But the operating temp at the final level check while it's running is important.

Just make sure the engine and transmission is operating for everything described except when your actually draining the pan.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This would be a good question for FJtest. It's a manual adjusting rod for something. Doing a search didn't help either. If like to know myself.

As far as the transmission servicing, see my method below.

So I would recommend if you have never removed your pan, do it to clean the magnets and change the filter screen.

As far as flushing, I really don't think it's necessary unless your doing it because you already have a problem. Just the simple dump and fill works great as long as it actually gets done.

I do it every 50k miles. If you tow a bunch. Do it more often.

Here is the procedure I've been using for awhile and don't have any problem.

Ok, the transmission has to be operating while servicing. Only way to get the fluid level correct.

So you basically do what you already did which is to drain the pan.

Measure how much came out and put that much new fluid back in.

Operate the transmission through all the gears just in your driveway, I usually remain in each gear selection for a few seconds. Usually cycle through a few times.

This is where people choose different paths to get to the end....

1. Now you can warm up the transmission to, and I forget the actual range, think it's 104-113 degrees F. Use a temp gun on the transmission pan or scan tool and monitor the transmission temp.
Open the check level drain and see what comes out. If it is draining wait for it to be a small trickle and close the drain and your done. If nothing comes out then you need to add fluid, you can do this while it's running. Wait for a small trickle and close the drain and your done.

Or you can choose this path...

2. After adding new fluid and cycling the gears, drain the pan again. Repeat this process until you feel you have changed out enough fluid to make yourself feel good...lol. then get it up to temp and do the final level check I described above.

Me personally I dump it twice and I change the screen filter every other service at 50K miles. But the operating temp at the final level check while it's running is important.

Just make sure the engine and transmission is operating for everything described except when your actually draining the pan.

Ok! Yeah I couldn’t find it anywhere either, I’ll repost on the FJtest. Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
You don't have to repost. He is a member on here, goes by the name FJtest. You could look him up and ask him.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Hi FJ Team! Well, I did the Flush. But I’m not confident I put things back together correctly :( by that I mean I accidentally loosened this bolt (see pics) and this flat metal thing, which is actually 2 pieces of metal and I’m not sure if I put it together right. Also, another mistake is that I checked the ATF without turning on the car and now not sure if I got enough in the tranny. Now my tranny is starting to slip and not sounding good as if struggling to change gears at around 40 mph. Please Help
This is called the detent roller spring. It holds the manual valve in the correct detent position in each gear. It looks like you have it bolted on correctly. Sounds like your fluid level is low which will cause a slip.

Reactions: ZerosFJ

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
See if we can still tag someone on here.

@ FJTest ;

edit: maybe not. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is called the detent roller spring. It holds the manual valve in the correct detent position in each gear. It looks like you have it bolted on correctly. Sounds like your fluid level is low which will cause a slip.
Just saw this, it’s actually not my pic, it’s the only thing I found on web. I think I did mine correctly, I have to drop and re-check. I will do the fluid check correctly this time with temp check as well, thank you!! 👍🏽

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

attached is a great video for those who are brave enough to work on the valve body. The spring that we all identified is clear as day as to how it’s installed ( just in case someone else screws it up like I did). Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts