Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the FJ? I havent seen any..

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
What's a stubby front bumper?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^dito.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
So much potential for this thread to go awry... :lol:

By stubby do you just mean very close to the body? The only bumpers I've seen that I might call stubby are the various tube bumpers... Metal Tech, Toy Outfitters...

Otherwise the stock bumper without wings might be considered rather stubby. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
he said "stubby" uh hu hu hu ;)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^reminds me of a certain mod...what was her name??? ;)

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
All-Pro is the closest to the body form bumper that I have seen, only sticking frontward 4-5" or so...

I prefer a flat-top bumper like the demello one, form fitting plus has a flattop to allow standing room when needed...

Like others said, not really sure what 'stubby' means to you tho... ;)

Go here and have a looksee... lots' of bumpers, not sure when the last update was, but it's a good start !...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/8738-complete-front-bumper-comparison.html

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is an example of a stubby. Its a bumper that does not come past the width of the grille and usually leaves the wheel wells open to view. Great for approach angle.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I guess I am looking for something kinda like what I had on my Jeep to give it that bull dog stance. Bare bones, with just a hoop and some d rings..

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
yeaa, 'Stubby' would need to be a custom made thing for sure....

Most bumpers are built to cover outside the frame rails where all the fender crap is on the outside... it's going to be hard to do something that's real 'stubby' and covers the garbage to the sides too.... Plus the height from the frame to the bottom of the bezzel/lights is a pretty far area to cover too... I like the way demello has a small face up high, and the rest of the area below is more like a skid plate to cover the gap, making the bumper look a lot smaller !

Here's the plastic inner fender before i trimed and secured it on the body mount bolt...

The demello bumper is on the tighter fit side as far as width and such IMO... here's a head-on view...

·
Registered
591 Posts
There probably isn't any because in most areas the front bumper needs to be as wide as the track width to make it legal. Track width is the distance between the middle of both wheels. ;)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I don't have a stubby. But even at my age I do get a chubber now and then. There this thread has gone awry. :jester:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There probably isn't any because in most areas the front bumper needs to be as wide as the track width to make it legal. Track width is the distance between the middle of both wheels. ;)
Nah that can't be it cause they make plenty of them for Jeeps.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just because they make'em does not mean they are legal
Right but you were stating that as if it were a reason no one makes them. Since a lot of aftermarket companies make stuff for both jeeps and FJ that's not the case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Id love a smaller bumper similar to what people do on jeeps, mainly because my thinking goes, smaller means less material, less material means less money, it dosnt always work that way obviously but it would be nice, just 2 shackle mounts and alot of approach angle, although that demello bandi has is sexxxaaayyyy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts