Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering either FormulaOne or Huber Optik ceramic tint, has anyone compared the way either of these looks to the back window tint?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I had ceramic on my Acura TL and it was awesome. I spoke with an installer and I think I am going to have the factory light tint removed and put the ceramic tint in its place. To answer your question it should match up just fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to have the factory light tint removed and put the ceramic tint in its place.
Wow, thats serious. I prefer colored glass more than a coated tinting.

To answer your question it should match up just fine.
Which one are you using? And what VLT%? I think 25% would match the back stock tint but I don't think they make it in that.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What are they advantages of non-metallic versus metallic?
Metallic interferes with GPS, Cell, AM/FM, Radar reception.

But most non-metallic (dyed) are cheap and fade to purple.

The best ones are ceramic if you are going to get the whole car done, but too reflective to match the factory windows which are neutral non reflective. So I found two that are dyed, high-quality with lifetime warranty not to fade.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use ceramic tint on my FJ side windows......matches the rear well, keeps the inside of the FJ MUCH cooler and does not interfere with my GPS/cell phone at all as far as I can tell......a bit more expensive but I give it two thumbs up!

·
Registered
820 Posts
We put the huber optik on the front windows of the FJ and I don't like the way it looks at all. Josh had always wanted to try it so we did and I'm really not impressed with the look...the front two windows look like they are silver not black...almost like mirrors or something. Anywho, I'll see how they do this summer in Phoenix, which is the real reason for getting ceramic over metallic tint anyway.

Here is an example of what I am talking about...granted this is on a partly cloudy day:

Here is one more recent, bright as day:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Huper will not match the factory tint, as seen in another members post. That said, I have had several cars tinted with HUPER OPTIK. It is by far the best tint I have ever used/seen...etc. It actually does do what tint was designed for KEEPING HEAT OUT!!! It is unreal. Surpasses traditional dyed tints by milestones!

That said, when it came time for my rig, I got 30% huper (Darkest they make) over the factory tinted areas and then I got 20% solarguard (Traditional dyed tint) over the front door windows. The match is great. The huper gives the privacy of darker tinted glass without being so dark (Due in part I believe by the reflection it creates).

I prefer dark windows but definitely wanted to keep the heat out which is why i did as much HUPER as possible. The 2 front doors got solarguard so everything will match perfectly....and it does!

Huper is way more expensive than traditional tint, much thicker and takes longer to cure. It is supposedly a bigger PITA to install as well.

The place I went to had a cool display of a heat lamp in a rotating box with 4 panels of glass on it. 1 pane had no tint, 1 had traditional, 1 had 30% Huper , and the other had (I forgot the name but it is basically clear Huper Optik). You can easily feel the heat from all the panes without Huper. I mean alot of heat where you couldn't hold your hand in front for too long. The panes with Huper you felt only the slightest temp change. It truly cuts down on the heat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got 30% huper (Darkest they make) over the factory tinted areas and then I got 20% solarguard (Traditional dyed tint) over the front door windows.
Which Solarguard? Does it look slightly green, and is it color stable / lifetime warranty?

I prefer dark windows but definitely wanted to keep the heat out which is why i did as much HUPER as possible. The 2 front doors got solarguard so everything will match perfectly....and it does!
So when you add Huper to the factory tint, it loses its reflectivity? It must be a lot darker then the 20% fronts, since its adding 30% tint to rear 20%.

The place I went to had a cool display of a heat lamp in a rotating box with 4 panels of glass on it..
Which shop did it? I'm looking for a place in the area.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Huper will not match the factory tint, as seen in another members post. That said, I have had several cars tinted with HUPER OPTIK. It is by far the best tint I have ever used/seen...etc. It actually does do what tint was designed for KEEPING HEAT OUT!!! It is unreal. Surpasses traditional dyed tints by milestones!

That said, when it came time for my rig, I got 30% huper (Darkest they make) over the factory tinted areas and then I got 20% solarguard (Traditional dyed tint) over the front door windows. The match is great. The huper gives the privacy of darker tinted glass without being so dark (Due in part I believe by the reflection it creates).

Huper is way more expensive than traditional tint, much thicker and takes longer to cure. It is supposedly a bigger PITA to install as well.

The place I went to had a cool display of a heat lamp in a rotating box with 4 panels of glass on it. 1 pane had no tint, 1 had traditional, 1 had 30% Huper , and the other had (I forgot the name but it is basically clear Huper Optik). You can easily feel the heat from all the panes without Huper. I mean alot of heat where you couldn't hold your hand in front for too long. The panes with Huper you felt only the slightest temp change. It truly cuts down on the heat.
What shop was this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Most of you will think I am crazy but I went upstate a bit to get the tint done. I have gotten about 6 vehicles done there so he hooks me up. There are only about 2 shops that do Huper in our area. I believe one is in Great Neck and the other is in Manhattan. Both I heard great things from, but they are $$$.

I go to Jamestint in Middletown NY. It takes me about an hour and a half to 2hrs to get there but his prices are the best, especially for Huper. If you have a garage and a big enough space for him to work....and a few cars for him to do, he would be willing to come down to you.

In regards to the Solarguard, mine matches the rear+ Huper perfectly. The rear factory tint eliminates the reflectiveness from the Huper. Everything looks phenomenal!

You can look up James' site at Why squint when you can tint? James Window Tint

If you go there, tell James that Drew aka Diesel 1 sent ya and he will hook you up. I won't post prices here, but if you PM me, I can guesstimate what the cost would be. It is fairly close to what guys down here charge for regular tint.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
In my earlier post I was talking about just doing the front two windows. The front windows are tinted by Gulf State Toyota, the inporting company, when they arrive at the port. The tint they use is almost useless and the guy at the shop I use said he would strip that tint and add ceramic for $125. I dont know if its Huber Optic or not but it did not have that reflective look when it was on my Acura. He said it would match up nicely. The box with a hot light is a big seller, stick your hand in it, spin it aroud and feel the difference.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
how does that hold up against a blaring tropical climate?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In regards to the Solarguard, mine matches the rear+ Huper perfectly. The rear factory tint eliminates the reflectiveness from the Huper. Everything looks phenomenal!
Pics?

Do you know which Solar Gard? Their high quality tint with lifetime warranty is metallic. The non-metallic is lower quality, not color stable, and only has 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pics?

Do you know which Solar Gard? Their high quality tint with lifetime warranty is metallic. The non-metallic is lower quality, not color stable, and only has 5 year warranty.
Not sure to be honest with you. Here are some pics. Keep in mind that depending on where the sun is at will vary how the tint looks. When it comes in directly from windshield, it makes the front doors lighter.

LIght coming in from windshield makes the front doors look lighter.

B

·
0 Posts
My tint guy said that the regular metallic tint didn't affect FM or cell phone reception all that much. He also mentioned that the ceramic tint is still unstable and will basically leave crack lines in a few years.

Moreover, he mentioned that ceramic tint on curved windows is much more difficult to install, the heat gun leaves marks on the tint.

-B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts