Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Is the 10 lb tank a decent enough size to air up 3 times plus run an impact to change a tire. Or should I be looking at a 15 lb tank.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Yes it is.
I have aired up my rig plus others a few times and used the impact wrench.
Thanks just saved me a few bucks. I love this forum!

·
Registered
309 Posts
when i filled up my 10# tank the guy told me the co2 expands with heat. So i am wondering?? If i air up my tires from 15 to say 35 PSI with my co2 tank then drive for a while will the pressure in the tires go too high? Someone said 5 psi? Thats not a big deal, but has anyone checked the expansion after a fill?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I like Co2 in my tires...and in my beer. thankyouverymuch.
For the record, My tank has been in the FJ in 10 degree F and now around 100 (outside my black truck..it's definitely hotter inside). No problems whatsoever.
A great solution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you play paintball you should know the difference between CO2 and N2. try use CO2 powered guns in the winter in Chicago, you ain't gonna hit nobody. but nitrogen powered guns still kick a$$. the pressure of CO2 gas is greatly effected by tempture, at 0F degree, CO2 becomes liquid at 306psi, at 80F degrees, CO2 becomes liquid at 969psi. i don't have the exact numbers, imagen this, if you fill your tires with CO2 to 35psi at 60F, when you start to drive, the friction between tire and pavement generate a great amount of heat, for sure when the internal tempture reaches 100F degrees, the pressure is not gonna be at 35psi, only to be A LOT higher. on the other hand, Nitrogen does NOT expand much from 0F to 150F, that's why race cars such as F1 and Nascar are filled with pure N2, so the pressure they filled when tires off the car and when tires are running at 200 miles an hour are pretty much the same.

"Air" contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% N2, 20.95% O2, 0.93% Ag, 0.038% CO2. that's a big differece than 100% CO2.

so my conclusion is NO, except for emergency.

·
Registered
567 Posts
And see how many tires you can fill with a nitorgen tank vs a CO2 tank of equal size or how long you can run a air ratchet on that nitrogen tank.

I have checked on cold days to find 5 psi less in my tires than when I filled up and on hot days after driving to find about the same less then when I filled. I run an E rated BFG AT, max PSI of 88, normally run them at 60 psi on the highway, plus or minus 5 psi isn't that big of deal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CO2 is cheap because it's stored as liquid gas in a vessle with 65% liquid 35% gas(volume), thats why it's measured by weight, 5lbs, 10lbs, etc. Nitrogen is stored as compressed gas, it's mseasured by Cubic Feet, 88cf, 150cf, etc. another thing for N2 is dry, there's no moisture in it.

CO2 is ideal for trail use, but it's better to release(most of) it and replace it with Air, air is free. it may take few minutes of your time, hey it's your $30,000 FJC.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
yours can be even cheaper if you ditch the HP gauge and just plug it. you don't need HP gauge on CO2, it's liquid, you'd know it's running low if the tank feels light. i have a similar setup which i got all the parts from craigslist over the years for less than $100

61 - 72 of 72 Posts