Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all!

I am in my first 24 hours of owning an FJ, and I am pretty excited to be part of the crew.

One of the big reasons for the purchase was to take my three Labrador Retrievers around (as seen in the photo). The oldest is almost seven, and I get the feeling she is not a big fan of jumping out/down from a vehicle anymore.

My questions...

* Does anyone use a ramp for their pets? If so, can you tell me what you have?
* What accommodations have you made to haul your pups around? I'm thinking about getting some foam padding and a cargo liner (machine-washable) so the dogs don't scratch the plastic and don't slide around in the back.

Any thoughts/suggestions/insights are appreciated!

Jim in Indiana

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Congrats on the FJ :cheers:

You'll almost certainly want to lay the rear seats down to fit those 3 pups back there. I don't have anything special in the cargo area for mine to lay on besides the factory rubber all-weather mat. He's never complained :bigthumb:

These come in handy too, so you can pop your rear glass for ventilation and still be able to lock the doors and/or kill the interior lights like normal. (I bought the smallest one and it works great)
Ventlock Tailgate Lock

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the FJ :cheers:

You'll almost certainly want to lay the rear seats down to fit those 3 pups back there. I don't have anything special in the cargo area for mine to lay on besides the factory rubber all-weather mat. He's never complained :bigthumb:
That was the first thing I did last night - lay the seats down and got the pups in for a quick cruise. They seemed to have a tough time getting their bearings, and we weren't going fast or on curves.

They go with me a LOT, so I want to make sure their spot is comfortable.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,109 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My lab is 13, she can jump down if she is feeling spunky, but can't jump up...I just lift her in. Not so fun when she is wet, which is about half the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My lab is 13, she can jump down if she is feeling spunky, but can't jump up...I just lift her in. Not so fun when she is wet, which is about half the time.
I can't tell if mine is a joint issue (pain) or an eye issue. For the last few weeks when I have pulled into my garage and opened the hatch for the dogs, the two young pups bolt out - but mama Georgie looks at me, the floor, then me, then the floor... it's almost like she can't tell how far away it is.

However, she can spot treats in the air and catch them no problem... so I'm wondering if it's the impact from the jump that bothers her.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have 1 dog, 1 dog only. He has a bad paw, so I lift him by hand in and out as needed.
Inhabe a full length deck in the rear ofmfj with his bed on he deck. So he gets to see where heading.
He, rides there when offroading as well. He relly liked engineer pass.:)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I can't tell if mine is a joint issue (pain) or an eye issue. For the last few weeks when I have pulled into my garage and opened the hatch for the dogs, the two young pups bolt out - but mama Georgie looks at me, the floor, then me, then the floor... it's almost like she can't tell how far away it is.

However, she can spot treats in the air and catch them no problem... so I'm wondering if it's the impact from the jump that bothers her.
I would suspect joint pain. My lab is basically blind in one eye and doesn't catch treats very well anymore, but is generally willing to jump down. And when I say jump down I mean from the back seat to the door sill then the ground, not all the way from the cargo floor to the ground, she won't do that unless really excited. She is on Rimadyl which helps with soreness, but if she is tired or sore she doesn't want to jump down anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking pups!

The Freedom Windows look good. I need to investigate that option. Did you put those in yourself?

G'day and welcome from Down Under.

Great pups,... spoil them a little..... build a back seat platform, add Freedom windows ... and they will be happy as ...
and easier to get in and out... just use a towel over the door sill to stop scratches ...

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
Great looking pups!

The Freedom Windows look good. I need to investigate that option. Did you put those in yourself?
G'Day Mate,
Thanks, yes they are sweet pups..... and spoilt rotten ...:lol:

Yes fitted the Freedom Windows myself...not hard to do if you are handy, comes complete as a kit with templates etc... hardest part is removing the OE windows.
I paid a glass company $50 to remove them intact, better than using a hammer like some do... haha,
but watching them do it, I know I could have done the same thing, with piano wire etc.....

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
417 Posts
A man that loves his dogs that much has got to be a very good man. As a matter of fact I'm typing through the tears thinking about the most loyal friends I have lost over the years.

If nothing else I might suggest you ask your regular doctor. They manufacture ramps that enable people on wheelchairs to get into vehicles.

That might not be the best solution for your problem but I thought I might suggest it anyway.

Good luck and don't leave your dogs home when you're out trucking around. There's nothing they like better than trucking around with you!:smile:smile

I might also suggest moving your seats up as far as you can and opening your windows when you are dog trucking because next to a new tennis ball there is nothing a dog loves more than sticking their head out the window when you are trucking around:smile

·
Desert Moderator
5,683 Posts
My Lab is 11 and jumps up just fine, but I usually help her down. She rides shotgun - always has since she was a pup.
Funny thing when we moved from the UK to Dubai she would jump into the driver's seat, and the first few times around a roundabout she would lean the wrong way, but she figured that one out within a day.

*UK drives on the left, UAE on the right.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,109 Posts
My Lab is 11 and jumps up just fine, but I usually help her down. She rides shotgun - always has since she was a pup.
Funny thing when we moved from the UK to Dubai she would jump into the driver's seat, and the first few times around a roundabout she would lean the wrong way, but she figured that one out within a day.

*UK drives on the left, UAE on the right.
Mine will sit on the seat over from the door I open. (Not that he gets to ride shotgun except 'on patrol' on private land). So if I open the driver's door he will always cross to the passenger seat regardless of which side the wheel is (FJ is left, Hilux for patrol was right)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have two labs and they have been over from Louisiana to nova scotia and back sitting in the back seat. One lab is 10 years and 90 lbs i pick him up and lift him out. The other is 9 years he jumps in and out on his own.

I have found on road trips cargo space i crucial in the back and it stays hotter in the rear as well.

I have the following:

This net keeps them from jumping up front and has kept them safe during fast breaking

Raingler Nets & Grips, Dog Barrier Nets

This pet hammock went in the back seat and has worked great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RAO41E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then on the back seat i have the spring tail pet barrier

FJ Cruiser Pet and Cargo Barrier Gen 2

For short trips when i want them in the back I have the rugged ridge rubber mat and rear window screen

FJ Cruiser Rear Window Screen System [GUNFLINT-SCREEN] - $109.99 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser

I know my post does not answer exactly what your looking for about the ramp. All I am saying is the lifting in and out method has worked well for me.

Happy travels with the pups.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mine will sit on the seat over from the door I open. (Not that he gets to ride shotgun except 'on patrol' on private land). So if I open the driver's door he will always cross to the passenger seat regardless of which side the wheel is (FJ is left, Hilux for patrol was right)
I reckon I'm too fond of dogs but this has to be one of the best posts I've ever read on fjcruiserforums.com:smile:smile:smile:smile:smile'

My mom always used to tell me that childrens' behavior reflects on their parents.

Likewise with dogs. You find a cool dog, his/her owner is somebody who you want as a friend!

·
Desert Moderator
5,683 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just get yourself an Australian Shepherd amaclach.:thinkerg:

You can use the money you save on the seat covers to buy 1/3 of one of the 2 coolest hats on the planet (OK tied with the best of Stetson): Akubra.

Y'all just get yourself a "Snowy River" and a "Banjo Patterson" and you won't have to have 15 hats like an idiot such as myself:smile:smile

PS Both the dog and hats are made in Australia. As much as I love the USA not a day passes that I wish I wasn't made in Australia too. I guess back in the day even Irish criminals were not welcome there. I still have pictures taken by my ancestors of signs posted in Philadelphia shops that say "No Negroes or Irish."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts