Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Phoenix woke me at 4 AM. Her ear was bleeding. It took a while to immobilize it with tape, and wrapping more tape around her head. What a mess, I had to clean the walls and floor, and do laundry as my clothes in the closet got spattered when she would shake her head.

Things are stable now, she was running and playing at the park. Not fun, but this is my best friend. It will stay wrapped for a few days till the ear heals.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
The results came in today. Vasculitis, an autoimmune disorder that may be caused by a prolonged infection. I don't think that is the case with Phoenix. This causes a thickening of the vessels which can reduce blood flow to the organs.

We have an appointment on Monday afternoon to discuss treatment. Steroids, but these cause bladder control issues, so perhaps another type, or another med to counter that. My last dog was on a med for years. They were tiny pills the same as people took. Then 2/100,000 lab rats got cancer and they were pulled. Then a vet only pill came out, and it was a horse pill.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Update. (y)

We are back from the veterinarian. We discussed what is going on with Phoenix. This is a rare disorder and not easy to treat. Meaning that there are several treatments and they may or may not work. Or require a combination of them. The vet office doesn’t stock any of them. The cheapest one was over $100 and may not do anything or could be a negative.

She said that Phoenix isn’t in a life threatening condition. We would know if she was. So for now we are going to monitor it. We go back in two weeks.

Kona needed monitoring when she got older. Bloodwork came back once and she had a biopsy on her liver. It showed evidence that she had hepatitis before and some damage was done. Supplements was all it took. She was close to 14 when she died.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts