Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2011TT and have been having an interesting problem. About a year ago now I took it in for service at the dealer and they told me the battery needed to be replaced as it was not holding a charge. I replaced it with a Optima Yellow Top shortly after and didn't have any issues.

About 4 months ago I went to start it up after it had been sitting for about 2 weeks and it had trouble starting. I took it to advanced and they did a complete test of the electrical system, no issues. Over the next few weeks the issues continued. I should add that I am very careful about turning everything off when I park her.

I purchased a battery tender and have been using it as a band-aid since. I also switched back to my original Panasonic battery but that did not solve any issues. However, before hooking up the battery tender my brother-in-law came over with his multimeter and was able to trace a drain to the dome light fuse in the engine compartment.

Nothing has been tapped into the dome light fuse, the only thing I have done to the dome lights was replace them with LED's.

Any idea where this drain could be coming from?

·
Premium Member
11,129 Posts
G'day,
Three things come to mind...
a. replace the fuse, it maybe just a bad fuse
b. turn off the dome lights, so they do not activate when the doors open.
c. swap out the leds in the dome lights to either original lamps, or new / different dome leds...

see if any of these make a difference...

as for what else could be causing it, no idea, but assuming you are the only owner, bought new, and no one else has played with it...
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Don't judge me... but...

My dome lights haven't worked for 7-8 years.

They just stopped one day.

I hit a bump in the road 3-4 years ago, and they started working for the day, then died again ever since.

BUT... I do have some nasty parasitic drain that has killed several Optimas too.

Might be time to fix this... LOL. Never thought there was a "connection." HAHA

Okay, time out for me now. K thanks bye.

·
Admin
9,093 Posts
There are known issues with the door sensors. They get corroded under the rubber cover and sometimes get confused as to whether the door is open or not.
Not saying that's the problem... just something to check off the list.
:cheers:

Reactions: bazross and FJoel

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,127 Posts
I had a similar issue just before Christmas. My battery dropped to 3V in two days. My truck sits for 2-3 weeks at a time but is wired to a solar panel. I recharged the battery, expecting it not to recover. I went through circuits, like you never leave anything on... I have about 200mA draw when everything is off. I have never found the issue, and it hasn't repeated. Lots of helpful advice from here but still a mystery. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts