Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Dominican Republic?? Where? Why?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  tchdwn49rs 
#1 ·
I'm an American & a permanent resident of the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata; if you have a visit planned, please email me; I'd like to meet you. Somebody has to sacrifice.
Problem areas with the FJ Cruiser in the DR:
1. A 'new' FJ in the USA, 2007 - 08, is a $24K - 28K SUV. In the DR? $45K - 50K!! Why? Gov't taxes. I wish there were some way @ this. Suggestions.
2. Gas costs US $5 / gallon in the DR; diesel is @ $4.25 / gallon. Toyota should make a diesel FJ Cruiser. Why not?
3. I prefer a standard transmission; Dominicans won't drive standard transmission cars. Therefore, dealers, etc. won't import them! Unjust!
That's all the *****ing & moaning I can manage for 1 May day! Thanks for taking the time to read of my woes. Time to move to Florida?
Life is hard & death is not easy!

#3 ·
Hey! Dominican-American here living in new jersey I always visit DR though but I usually stay around the santo domingo area ive only been to puerto plata once.

And yeah the prices there are insane if I remember right a 4runner is about 60 grand right? hahaha my dad has a Prado there nice car.

And I never understood the whole "automatic is for women" mentality they had there.

#5 ·
Tigre, eso ta malo!

#6 ·
Welcome to the Forum DonCarlosDD. That is a pretty high price for an FJ.

Most of us wish we had diesel power in the FJ. It is one of the only reasons i am jealous of the jeep liberty. (There are two that have come out with us on the trail and both were the CRDiesel Liberty's)

#8 ·
Carlos; Yep! I go to the DR all the time, at least once or twice a year. My son's family is from there.
You're right. It is the the state taxes surcharge, way high!
Anyways, I have friends that go wheeling in the Bonao area. They take off around that area & go up to the mountains towards the west. There's an off road club there too, which they belong to.
I missed a big event they had the last time I was there...had to come back to the States the following day. Grrrrr.
Anyways, I hope you find a way to enjoy wheeling over there. I know you'll find places & events.

#9 ·
My daughter just returned from a semester in the Dominican Republic and she told me that she saw quite a few FJ's there. Not sure why the price is so high there maybe the distributor is greedy? As for the diesel option, the more people ask, the sooner one will likely be introduced!

Welcome to the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.