Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've been diligently searching for rear headrests since I bought my FJ in December. Googling every day. Toyota wants $840 for OEM replacements, and the lowest price I found was at a salvage yard and they wanted $285 shipped.

So I went to the local salvage "U-pull it" yard about 1.7 miles from my house, and set about sampling from the Toyota and Lexus vehicles they have there. Most of them are compatible with the FJ!! So I plucked a set from a 2006 Toyota TC. They match the Fj lumbar material perfectly, are like factory new, and set me back $22. That's right, $22. Aaaand the seats fold down with them installed.

The more you know!

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Looks like Scion tC to me.

But from the looks of it a Tacoma would work as well if you can find the right color (i.e.- not grey)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like Scion tC to me.

But from the looks of it a Tacoma would work as well if you can find the right color (i.e.- not grey)

Yup. The whole reason I stopped looking for FJ specific headrests is that a buddy of mine with a Tacoma was over visiting and I asked him to try his on my FJ. They worked. Almost every Toyota vehicle has compatible headrests. You just gotta find the material, shape, and color you like. I'm amazed that the Tc rests are the EXACT same material as the lumbar wings on the FJ. Even a better choice if you ask me, because the original FJ ones are a cheesy feeling vinyl. And do not match the seats at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't see why anyone would want the headrests.
Basically, there are two categories of people who want headrests. First, there are those who just want something to rest their heads on. And then there are people who want to keep their necks intact in case of a rear-end collision. Oh, there's also a small chance that there are people who want both of those things.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't see why anyone would want the headrests.
I'm a full time musician. I stow my gear back there and the headrests offer a few more inches of protection for ME, the driver. Last October I was rear ended at a very high speed by a drunk driver and a 40lb piece of gear flew forward and ruptured the discs in my neck.

That's why. At least for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm a full time musician. I stow my gear back there and the headrests offer a few more inches of protection for ME, the driver. Last October I was rear ended at a very high speed by a drunk driver and a 40lb piece of gear flew forward and ruptured the discs in my neck.

That's why. At least for me.
Well, in that case, it's not headrests you're looking for. It's something like this:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Basically, there are two categories of people who want headrests. First, there are those who just want something to rest their heads on. And then there are people who want to keep their necks intact in case of a rear-end collision. Oh, there's also a small chance that there are people who want both of those things.
I would never subject a grown human to the torture of riding in the back. Car seats have their own headrests.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts