Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm heart sick. Opened my door on my brand new TT SE into a pole wi
hile at the pumps at the gas station. So choked - steel poles were protecting, of all things, a plastic garbage can. The pole was low enough, I had no idea it was there when I opened the door, but nevertheless I have to suck it up

So ok, I've a small dent on the driver's side door. The paint seems intact. The vehicles is so new and pristine, I feel compelled to fix it, and of course it's the only thing I'm looking at on the vehicle now. Should I a) go to my bodyshop, or B) try one of these quick-fix techniques, namely aluminum foil, lighter, then liquid air to re-expand the sheet metal. Don't want to hurt anything, and don't want to pay a fortune either

appreciate any adivice. Thanks in advance

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
hile at the pumps at the gas station. So choked - steel poles were protecting, of all things, a plastic garbage can. The pole was low enough, I had no idea it was there when I opened the door, but nevertheless I have to suck it up

So ok, I've a small dent on the driver's side door. The paint seems intact. The vehicles is so new and pristine, I feel compelled to fix it, and of course it's the only thing I'm looking at on the vehicle now. Should I a) go to my bodyshop, or B) try one of these quick-fix techniques, namely aluminum foil, lighter, then liquid air to re-expand the sheet metal. Don't want to hurt anything, and don't want to pay a fortune either

Buddy, I really hear your pain. My advice though is just to suck it up and get over it. After the first dent, it will be OK. I have to tell you, I am pretty anal and I look at a dent every time I wash my rig. It is on my hood and it is not that big.... BUT I put it there myself. I thought..Hey, let's wash the roof of the FJ and I am not Huge at all but hey weight is weight. so I put dents on the hood and on the roof.

Well. That rant went on.... Just suck it up. It will not be a big deal at all in a few weeks. I kind of focus on the stuff like that too and truthfully, I am OK now with mine. I have done alot of the mods myself and am proud that I can paint my bumpers and mirrors anytime I want to so.... It makes up for the fact that I screwed up my own truck.

Hope this rant helps.

Kim:bigthumb:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Congratulations!! :lol: Now you're ready for some serious pinstripes. Look at it this way, this is a blessing in disguise. The first time I saw people scratching up their FJ's on this forum, I thought they were nuts! Then, I got my first trail pinstripes, and it's like it kinda made me fearless in a way. (Or at least less fearful!:lol:) So now you're ready to take on anything, and you won't be so worried when a big 'ol tree branch reaches out and tries to getcha. Now go climb something!!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
You could try this

YouTube - Car Dent Removal with Hair Dryer and Compressed Air

I tried that on my ARB fridge, as it has a nice dent, but the metal is much different than the FJ, so it did not work.

You could go to Dent Wizards, and for $100 or less they will fix it, if the paint is not damaged.

If the paint if flaked and lifted, it will have to be pulled and painted from a body shop.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Don't even sweat it. I picked up a door ding the first month that I had my FJ.

And just wait until you get off-road and earn your first off-road stripes. It shows character. :)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
thanks guys....feel much better
I prefer the Dry Ice method, after my uncle went threw a hail storm outside Kansas City to Missouri his new car had a hundred dimples. I have never seen such unbelievable results after he used the dry ice method!!! All the damage was removed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so dent in the door two days ago (my fault). Get up this am and notice another one - someone must have opened their door on it last night when I was at the races.

So I'm contemplating sitting in a bath-tub and holding a toaster:mecry::boohoo:

On a positive note, it's at least the same door:bigthumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Find a paintless dent repair tech in your area...DO NOT TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF and don't go to a body shop until you have a PDR guy look at it. I'm a PDR guy...if you try to work it out yourself you can cause more damage than is already there, a single impact is much easier to remove than multiples or one that someone else has already "started on".

Usually the price is around $100.00 in the states.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ok, so dent in the door two days ago (my fault). Get up this am and notice another one - someone must have opened their door on it last night when I was at the races.

So I'm contemplating sitting in a bath-tub and holding a toaster:mecry::boohoo:

On a positive note, it's at least the same door:bigthumb:
No don't it is not worth it It is only truck man!!!:)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I feel your pain. I got a volleyball sized dent in my rear fender bulge when I slid off the tail at Harlan and hit a tree. I was praying to hit that tree! Although it is ugly still I got the bulk of it out with a suction cup. THink I will try the hair dryer, canned air method to see how much more I can pull out.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i never heard of the dry ice method before? how does that work?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) is great! They fixed a dent on my door not too long ago. I don't see any evidence that anything was ever there. Mine was referred through the dealership I got my FJ from. It was about $100 for a "post-it" sized dent. Since I have the trail pinstripes I did not want to get the body work and have one "clean" door. It worked out just fine.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You could try this

YouTube - Car Dent Removal with Hair Dryer and Compressed Air

I tried that on my ARB fridge, as it has a nice dent, but the metal is much different than the FJ, so it did not work.

You could go to Dent Wizards, and for $100 or less they will fix it, if the paint is not damaged.

If the paint if flaked and lifted, it will have to be pulled and painted from a body shop.
That is awesome we have a work truck here that has a large dent on the rear quarter panel its a 2 wheel drive taco I will try this technique when we get some compressed air... thanks for this info:rocker:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Find a paintless dent repair tech in your area...DO NOT TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF and don't go to a body shop until you have a PDR guy look at it. I'm a PDR guy...if you try to work it out yourself you can cause more damage than is already there, a single impact is much easier to remove than multiples or one that someone else has already "started on".

Usually the price is around $100.00 in the states.
Yep, this is exactly what I'm going to do. I'd only make things worse if I tried to do it myself

Thanks

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
paintless dent repair.

call your toyota dealer and ask them when the 'dent guy' comes in and to set up an appointment.

i had a big dent (driver's door) and a smaller one (passenger rear door) taken out for about 100 bucks. they drill a hole into the door and pop it out with a thingy (very technical).

the paint and scratches buff out for the most part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts