Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why I give money to people for any sort of mechanical work. Just a torx screw, yet I managed to not be able to fit the door handles, and lose the screw inside the door. And now no matter how I line it up, the door handle doesn't mate up properly. Lol.

I had to take it to the shop for a free oil change, may as well have them fix my mistake as well....

Has anyone ever heard of someone actually messing up a door handle swap? Because I sure haven't. Although since it was me working on my FJ, I'm amazed I didn't somehow also break something else.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh this was me breaking into wrenching. Never underestimate the lack of skill I have in this regard. Mechanical work is just not in my wheelhouse.

It's a 5 min swap right?

I decided to throw in the towel after 3 hours on one door handle with three lost screws and no fitment. :rofl:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel your pain man, I did the same thing. I had to walk away for a bit, then came back determined to conquer it. I pulled the inner panel, was able to get the torx screw and give it another go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I will be taking off the door panel and going in for round two. Local shop quoted me at $126 to swap the door handles!!!! And to reattach the white snap things on the cargo hatch door was $320!!

Me thinks I will not be going back there again....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I am by no means a mechanic, to the point I don't even know the nomenclature. But those clips, white, that snap into the holes in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,424 Posts
We all start somewhere.

I dropped 3.....3 nuts when removing the outside A pillar trim. 3 nuts that in there for life.

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya. I guess I can only go up from here. Guess I'm just blown away they were going to charge me $126 to do that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Realize this is an old thread but wanted to share some observations as I too had problems with what was suppose to be an easy swap. Ordered black door handles from Amazon that said they would fit and reviewers concurred. The handles that arrived were for a Tacoma but seemed to match. Tried driver side first but could not get the screw back in to matter what I tried. Just would not line up. Finally noticed that the lock mechanism had gotten pushed back a little into the door panel. There are four small tabs that must extend out of the door panel. If these are not visible the screw will never line up. I needed to reach inside the hole where the lock is inserted and pull the mechanism out toward the exterior to reveal the four tabs. Only then was I able to get the screw lined up.

My other problem, that I have not found a solution too, is that I cannot get the passenger side handle to catch where is will spring back. Everything seems to fit and slides in but when I pull on it the handle stays out. After multiple tries I gave up and tried to reinstall the original one but cannot get it to catch and spring back either. Does anyone have an idea on what I'm am doing wrong or what I might knocked out of alignment? It seems that as many of these swaps that have been done hardly anyone has complained about having any issues.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
If the grip will not spring back in, perhaps it is not engaged with the spring loaded crank arm correctly?

Either that, or the grip is bound up somewhere. The pivot at the front might not have been fully seated when you put the grip in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks norm356. I could not see where the spring loaded crank arm was. I inspected the driver's side more closely and saw the latch that the handle catches on. When checking the passenger side the spring loaded crank arm/latch was up inside the door so far that there was no way the handle could engage it. The handle was simply sliding underneath it. I had to use my finger to pull it down and out enough to loop some dental floss around it which allowed me to hold it out far enough to slide the handle in and catch it. Finally. Thanks again.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thanks norm356. I could not see where the spring loaded crank arm was. I inspected the driver's side more closely and saw the latch that the handle catches on. When checking the passenger side the spring loaded crank arm/latch was up inside the door so far that there was no way the handle could engage it. The handle was simply sliding underneath it. I had to use my finger to pull it down and out enough to loop some dental floss around it which allowed me to hold it out far enough to slide the handle in and catch it. Finally. Thanks again.
Please post some pics if possible. 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is the same problem I am having right now with both door handles. Will have to try looking closer to the latch that you mentioned. This is super helpful to know....will look into this tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts