Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a thread on replacing door pins, so here's mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New pins, part number as shown, purchased at my local parts retailer. I couldn't find an actual listing for the FJ Cruiser, but these pins are for Toyota and they look very similar. Gave it a shot.

One long pin for the bottom hinge, one short pin for the top. And 4 new bushings. Enough for one door.

Tools shown is what I used. Sockets are 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm. I had to use a 1/4" ratchet because of space issues between the door and frame. Check out my new grinder/cutting wheel....had to give it a try. I used it to cut off my rusty running boards. Love that tool!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hung the door with some ratchet straps to the garage door, couldn't think of another way to do this alone. Hope it holds! :surprise

Remove the bolts from the hinges and let the door hang.

Unbolt the door stopper.

Cut the pins with a cutting tool. Be careful not to cut into the hinge (oops, looks like I need to get my welder out)....

Pound out the pins with a long punch, seems to be 1/4" or 3/16".

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang why are these photos sideways? Sorry guys!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Install bushings, tap into place with a hammer. Be careful these things are ultra thin!

Install the pins. I installed both from the top. I used lots of anti seize compound (cause I'm a freak about this stuff! lol)

Bolt up the hinges.

Bolt on the door stop.

Check for proper operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Door is fixed, no more droop!

This project took less than 1 hour, including clean up. Well worth the $12 I paid for the pins. It was relatively easy, probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10 in skill level.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mods, how can I fix the sideways photos? Is there a rotate photo option somewhere? I hate making more work for you guys!

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
WOW.

Well done, Slonomo.

I'd not seen a sagging Toyota door before this. Has anyone else had that happen to them, and needed to do this kind of repair?

Replacing the bushings is a much simpler solution that replacing the entire Hinges (because it avoids having to re-align the doors afterwards). It is nice that someone makes custom pins with which to do this with (the original factory pins were spin riveted, so these new ones which are treaded to accept a nut would be definitely necessary, to be able to change the bushings).

Luckily, Toyota has had standardized Hinge sizes for decades, helping to make the pins fit as many vehicles as possible (note the fronts use 5mm dia, and the rears use 4mm dia pins, but the wear on rears is probably so low that no one ever needs to re-bush them).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I know someone will likely see this if they do a search on door pins, and hopefully it will help them get the repair done. After all, sharing information is what these kinds of forums are for!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts