Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading through the threads on the door speakers and haven't seen what I'm wondering about come up. Hopefully it's a non-issue and that's why.

I bought some 6x9's to replace the stock speakers with. I haven't taken the door panels off and I've only seen pictures and videos but I'm wondering if the window goes down in the door far enough that it might hit the speaker/magnet? The speakers I bought have huge magnets on them, but no one else seems to have mentioned any problem with this. Also, what keeps water (rain, etc.) from going down inside the door and damaging the speakers? Is it necessary to do something preventative to keep that from happening? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Window won’t hit it , never a problem rain getting inside the doors or the doors would rust , it’s a good idea to use sound deadening too

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Window won’t hit it , never a problem rain getting inside the doors or the doors would rust , it’s a good idea to use sound deadening too
Thanks Zoso. The weather here ended up being nice enough that I could go ahead and work on the FJ today. This morning I hadn't gotten any replies so I just went ahead and swapped the speakers out. I didn't see any sign of water having gotten in the door so I figured it'd be ok. Tried the window out after installing and it doesn't hit, just like you said. Wow, those stock 6 x 9's are a joke! Everything is working now so at this point I've added a sub, put super tweeters in the dash, changed out the door speakers, and put a set of Infinity 3.5" in the C Pillars. I've already got an aftermarket double din head unit so I've done everything I'm going to do with the sound system now. It sounds pretty good considering I did it on a small budget. Thanks again for replying!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
... Everything is working now so at this point I've added a sub, put super tweeters in the dash, changed out the door speakers, and put a set of Infinity 3.5" in the C Pillars...
Would you mind listing the speakers you got? I've replaced the head unit, arms in looking at doing the speakers next.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Would you mind listing the speakers you got? I've replaced the head unit, arms in looking at doing the speakers next.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Any 6x9 works , set a budget and go from there , Keep in mind the 6x9s with the soft or silk dome tweeters are going to sound better/smoother like the JL Audio or Alpine, Kicker has one also

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_52300/6-x9-Speakers.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts