Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...

So I went out last night and got some new 6X9's for the door. I took off the door panel (easy enough) and pulled out the stock speakers. With the plastic casing it's almost impossible to get another set in there. I have messed around with the speakers, thought about cutting the plastic frame arount the stock ones somehow but can't come up with a good solution (besides making a fiberglass mount). Has anyone actually done this themseleves?

The factory speakers are the absolute worst I have ever heard/seen. The magnet on the back is the size of a quarter or smaller. I have to get these out ASAP!

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to break the old speaker free if the spacer and mount your new speaker into it. Be creative on how you do it, but make sure it's mounted securely into the spacer with self tapping screws. Mount the spacer / speaker unit back into the door and trim some of the inside of the door panel speaker grill away for clearance. It will look COMPLETELY stock from the outside. Nobody will know you changed them out unless they listen to it ;)

It's not as easy as the dash speaker upgrade, but worth every minute of work.

Adam

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I agree the stock system leaves a lot to be desired. My old VW had a great stock sound system, and this is definitely a downgrade..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
funky_junk said:
ok...

So I went out last night and got some new 6X9's for the door. I took off the door panel (easy enough) and pulled out the stock speakers. With the plastic casing it's almost impossible to get another set in there. I have messed around with the speakers, thought about cutting the plastic frame arount the stock ones somehow but can't come up with a good solution (besides making a fiberglass mount). Has anyone actually done this themseleves?

The factory speakers are the absolute worst I have ever heard/seen. The magnet on the back is the size of a quarter or smaller. I have to get these out ASAP!
I must have really unrefined hearing, bc I think the stock speaker sounds just fine. I don't even have the upgraded stereo. Anyhow, if you search the post, you'll find detail instructions and pics on how to install new 6x9 speakers. You definitely don't need to make fiberglass mounts. You'd think if you had the know how to make fiberglass mounts that you wouldn't have any trouble installing the speakers. From the previous post, it seems like a simple install, but I haven't done it myself. Probably won't cuz they sound just fine to me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The stock speakers are the cheapest I've seen. Very little in the way of highs and muffled bass. If you are ok with the sound, that's great... saves you some money! But once you've heard 'good' speakers in the FJ you'll understand!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is it better to go with some 6x9's or swap them out for a set of components (6.5" prob)?

I've been hearing conflicting info from the various installers I speak to. Some say to keep the 6x9 since that's the size of the enclosure while others say that the best sound quality is going to come from a set of components. Any thoughts here?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Any thoughts here?
I swapped out all the front speakers in my FJ with Diamond Audio 6 ½" rounds in the doors and 2" tweeters in the dash (as well as 3 ½" rounds in the rear) and the sound is light years better than with the stock speakers. I also installed an amplifier to run the front 4 speakers.

Jim

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for the info- do the rear speaker swap do much to the sound? I've been told to concentrate on the front pair of speakers and just use the stock for the rear. You think differently?

I've heard excellent things about the Diamond Audio speakers. Were they an easy fit in the 6x9 hole? How's the bass? I'm concerned that by swapping out the larger 6x9's the bass might suffer.

Vik

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Does the rear speaker swap do much to the sound?
Tough question to answer. The rear speakers don't seem to add a great deal to the overall listening experience in either of the front seats, but they do add something. The sound emanating from the replacement speakers is far cleaner, so for anybody sitting in the back seats the experience will be enhanced more-so than for those in the front seats. Considering the modest cost of the 3 ½" speakers, I'd say they're worth it.

Were the rounds an easy fit in the 6x9 hole?
According to my installation guy they were, so I'll have to add that caveat to my response since I didn't actually do the installation.

How's the bass response from the rounds?
Very respectable, but I emphasized to my install guy that I wanted the crossovers set so the rounds weren't attempting to reproduce any deep bass. That's what the sub-woofer is for. Even with that, there was no discernible loss of bass response in front (and as I mentioned, the sound quality is far superior).

While I'm on the subject of the sub-woofer, it is my intention to have the speaker replaced in the factory sub, assuming it can be done without a great deal of trouble. To my ears, the factory sub is extremely muddy in it's response.

Jim

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i think the only speakers im going to change at the moment are the dash speakers. they just seem real crappy sounding, not very centered - i dunno - im not an audio kinda guy. plus it's purty cheap too and there's a thread on here with pictures :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah I agree. At first the bass in impressive, but the speed of the bass (if bass can even have speed) is atrocious. The boom lingers for far too long.

Who knows if the enclosure, driver, or amp are to blame. I suspect all of the above but the sub upgrade will be something for the future. The JL audio 8w3v2 looks like a good fit though so that's an option.

Where did you end up mounting the amp? Most 4 channel amps I've seen are pretty large.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Round speakers sound better than 6x9s. Notice how you never see 6x9 speakers in home audio applications? Round speakers reproduce sound more accurately.

I'd swap them out with components speakers or a nice set of coax speakers, eferably one witha surface mounted high quality tweeter.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Where did you end up mounting the amp? Most 4 channel amps I've seen are pretty large
The amp was installed under the front passenger seat. I used a 2 channel Alpine amp which a buddy of mine in the business sold me at his cost, which was $85.00 (and it didn't take up much space). There simply wasn't any need for a 4 channel amp. My install guy hooked the 4 front replacement speakers to the new amp and kept the overhead speakers, the sub-woofer and the new 3 ½" rounds in the rear connected to the stock head unit. I still have fade capability with that set-up and the new speakers in the rear don't require much power (nor can they handle much, according to the install guy).

Jim

·
Registered
961 Posts
Someone on this thread mentioned a previously published breakdown on the door speakers and replacement. I have searched and cannot find it. Can you provide a link??

Thanks..

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the Sound system (Regular stock one, non-6-disc) Sucks big time! Thats my only complain about the FJC. Other than that the car Rocks!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
adam12hicks said:
You need to break the old speaker free if the spacer and mount your new speaker into it. Be creative on how you do it, but make sure it's mounted securely into the spacer with self tapping screws. Mount the spacer / speaker unit back into the door and trim some of the inside of the door panel speaker grill away for clearance. It will look COMPLETELY stock from the outside. Nobody will know you changed them out unless they listen to it ;)

It's not as easy as the dash speaker upgrade, but worth every minute of work.

Adam
Yes that's what I did too.
It works!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for the link, I guess I wasn't clear.
What I am looking for is a set of pictures or a description of the process for removing the door panels and replacing the speakers. Since the panels are hard plastic, I don't want to scar them up or break them in the process.
Can anyone provide this information?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts