Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I e-mailed him about reviewing mine, but I'm in Denver and he's in SoCal. He doesn't get out here too often, guess he found one locally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Doug likes all the "quirks and features" of the FJ.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I watched that last night. His review really highlighted my obsession with the FJ. I got really mad when he slagged things like the knobs and how far away the windshield is. Moreover, if the rear wiper was any larger it'd be too big. And three wipers on the front is the perfect amount just like the MGB I had. Plus, who gripes about a rear view camera? Weirdo.

Here's my gripe with every review: gee, the FJ doesn't accelerate like a car or corner well. It drives like it's supposed to. It's an off-road vehicle so it's not going to be a sports car. Would you expect a quad to keep up with a sport bike? Then why expect a real 4x4 to keep pace with a sports car?

I did agree with the shift knob. I've never liked the shift knob. It looks like something you'd smack an insolent kid with.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did agree with the shift knob. I've never liked the shift knob. It looks like something you'd smack an insolent kid with.
I hacked mine down to a much more reasonable length.
Gotta cut the shaft down and either thread it or use a set screw in the shift knob.

Not my pic, but it's about the same.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he said " I noticed a rock chip in it and suspect broken windshields are a common symptom of the fj cruiser".

Understatement of the year.

^^^^ that cut down shift knob looks good.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I hacked mine down to a much more reasonable length.
Gotta cut the shaft down and either thread it or use a set screw in the shift knob.

Not my pic, but it's about the same.

Not bad! I was thinking about using a billiard ball or something similar.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I watched that last night. His review really highlighted my obsession with the FJ. I got really mad when he slagged things like the knobs and how far away the windshield is. Moreover, if the rear wiper was any larger it'd be too big. And three wipers on the front is the perfect amount just like the MGB I had. Plus, who gripes about a rear view camera? Weirdo.

Here's my gripe with every review: gee, the FJ doesn't accelerate like a car or corner well. It drives like it's supposed to. It's an off-road vehicle so it's not going to be a sports car. Would you expect a quad to keep up with a sport bike? Then why expect a real 4x4 to keep pace with a sports car?

Great comment here. I actually like the Shift knob as is, why? When I am leaning out the driver side window to see where my tire(s) are placed when on 'a line', I can still handle/move the shifter with my right hand at the same time. Me likey.

I had hoped at the end of the review that the score he gave the FJ would have been higher. I think it deserved better numbers than he gave it. At least get even or above some of the other Jeep scores he has given!! Amazing that the Gladiator topped his list-albeit a cool rig I must admit.

Mike

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I hadn't thought about the extended reach.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good review and he highlighted things that I never noticed about my FJ before.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
6,421 Posts
Well I don't expect our critique to make much sense because we all own at least one and are kind of like a cult of sorts, and quite biased. Normal people may not "get" the FJ and that's fine with me. Oh, TexasFJ, I kind of agree with you about the shifter, except it always reminded me of an early LED flashlight. I think the reviewer doesn't really understand the basis of the original 40, and his lack of correct history shows this. Grain of salt taken. :bandit:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I liked the review. It is quirky, so am I !:wink
I did notice something in the video that is bugging me about mine. The rear door catch (bottom) is rusting. Both of mine are also. Booo Toyota. Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.48.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.48.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.48.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.49.21 PM.png

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I did notice something in the video that is bugging me about mine. The rear door catch (bottom) is rusting. Both of mine are also. Booo Toyota.
Just last week I was vacuuming the Moab B4 Summit/FJ Summit dust out of the FJ, and I noticed mine is rusting on the drivers side. Trying to figure out what to do about it... would just hit it with Fluid Film but that would be messy. Maybe I'll paint it with Rust Reformer and top coat, can't look any worse.

·
トヨタ Master
6,421 Posts
I did notice something in the video that is bugging me about mine. The rear door catch (bottom) is rusting. Both of mine are also. Booo Toyota. View attachment 1090116

View attachment 1090118

View attachment 1090120

View attachment 1090122
Just last week I was vacuuming the Moab B4 Summit/FJ Summit dust out of the FJ, and I noticed mine is rusting on the drivers side. Trying to figure out what to do about it... would just hit it with Fluid Film but that would be messy. Maybe I'll paint it with Rust Reformer and top coat, can't look any worse.
Have 'em bead blasted and powder coated?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts