Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just trying to get a quick summery on what you guys are all using and what you've heard about the two. And if you had to recommend one, which one?
I think its gonna be my next buy. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I don't own either but make sure you do a search for Doug Thorley on the board. There is a pretty interesting write up by a person who had some issues with a product on here. I think every business has a bad day, but it is not so much the complaint of the customer that bothered me it was the representative and the way he handled it that did...and more than one comment. I would link it for you but I am on the mobile app and I don't know how to do that ;) This is a great place to ask around though!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I did see another forum member had a write up about the DT headers rusting on him and he would have to send them back in order to get new ones, but If he threw out his stock manifold he'd be kinda screwed. But some customer service is better than none I guess..?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
jba is definitely better quality, if you have the money go with jbas

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ceramic headers!!! Shield heat better and protect against rust. 2 common enemies of headers?

I got JBA's hearders put on at a JBA performance shop here in San Diego. I felt comfortable knowing that this company had a professional history in performance and racing. Which might not be so intuitive as the name Doug Thorley.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have DT exhaust and yes they do have rust on them, but besides a little rust I like them a lot. The fact that I go wheeling so much and that the exhaust would be in mud and water all the time, I basically knew that it would rust for that reason so no surprise there. It was the first mod I did to my car and I was happy with the choice. From what I've learned is don't get the Long tube headers from DT.

Here is my Exhaust video I made a long time ago

·
Premium Member
16,935 Posts
I have had my DT headers on for quite some time and I really enjoy them. By the way, no rust on them to date!

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I will say that JBA has been very good to me. I put mine on about 4 years ago, they broke numerous times, about a year ago they replaced them and charge me 1/2 price. They also designed my exhaust system with magna flo muffler. I have great performance from my truck, run 35's and pull a trailer, due to the exhaust system I think. Plus it has a great sound.

Draw back though and all of the California people shoud be aware. They are not legal in California, they say they are, but they do not have a number stamped in them. I learned this last year when I was fighting with Toyota over my cats going bad.

I was told then that they were still working on getting them legal in California. Maybe by now, but if they do not have a number they are not legal and will fail smog.

Not good news for a lot of us I am afraid, I have to smog mine in November.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
I will say that JBA has been very good to me. I put mine on about 4 years ago, they broke numerous times, about a year ago they replaced them and charge me 1/2 price. They also designed my exhaust system with magna flo muffler. I have great performance from my truck, run 35's and pull a trailer, due to the exhaust system I think. Plus it has a great sound.

Draw back though and all of the California people shoud be aware. They are not legal in California, they say they are, but they do not have a number stamped in them. I learned this last year when I was fighting with Toyota over my cats going bad.

I was told then that they were still working on getting them legal in California. Maybe by now, but if they do not have a number they are not legal and will fail smog.

EO# D-57-26

NOW 50 STATE LEGAL!!!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-headers-long-headers-exhaust-group-buy.html

I also have them on sale... :p

This is why I pay the big bucks to advertise here... so excuse the shameless plug.

I also have the JBA on my FJ and still love them after years of abuse!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts

I also wanted to say the bad cats is not a new issue. Many Tacoma owners I know, that don't have JBA headers, have also had this issue. The most recent case of this I heard was from the body man I knew at Peace Arch Toyota. He was pretty non-chalant about it though, he got great prices from his dealership on the cats and labour... When he said "great" he had a huge grin!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have some DT ceramic coated headers on my 100s 4.7V8. Zero rust on them and they sound great.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I like the headers, and no they did not cause the cat failure, but they were the reason Toyota said no to replacing the cats, and I did not get a great price, I got screwed badly, did not have it done as Flow master says they will have CA approved cats before I have to have them. Trust is my only hope

Again for those that have them, no number stamped on them means they are not legal in California. If these new ones have a number they are good to go. I was told when I bought them they were CA approved, it is stamped on the headers, but they are not. Great to hear they got it done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the headers, and no they did not cause the cat failure, but they were the reason Toyota said no to replacing the cats, and I did not get a great price, I got screwed badly, did not have it done as Flow master says they will have CA approved cats before I have to have them. Trust is my only hope

Again for those that have them, no number stamped on them means they are not legal in California. If these new ones have a number they are good to go. I was told when I bought them they were CA approved, it is stamped on the headers, but they are not. Great to hear they got it done.
JBA has a CARB decal just like all other companies. I would call them and see if you could not get a decal for your JBA headers. The decal has the part number stamped on the flange of the headers and the CARB number.:cheers:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also wanted to say the bad cats is not a new issue. Many Tacoma owners I know, that don't have JBA headers, have also had this issue. The most recent case of this I heard was from the body man I knew at Peace Arch Toyota. He was pretty non-chalant about it though, he got great prices from his dealership on the cats and labour... When he said "great" he had a huge grin!
Yeah I am fighting Toyota right now about bad cats... and there are basically no rules where I live. No smog and no safety inspection might mean time for an upgrade in headers.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I guess in California it is a welded on tag with the number imprinted in the tag. I have the tag, just no numbers imprinted. Not going to worry about for awhile. I think I can have the guy that built the sytem get it fixed for me if Flo Master gets theirs done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts