Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a DT y-pipe and have issues with smog? I know they now include resonators that look like it could take the place of the secondary cat converters visually. I'd like to work on tucking the skids so I'd like to confirm there are any issues or just modify the OE y-pipe. Also, I haven't been to a smog test for a couple years. For our obd2, no more sniffer test correct? Only visual/electronic check?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
He replied to me on brown room. I wonder if he has a used set taking up space :grin:
I have a used set taking up space between my manifolds and muffler. :lol: Rattles a little bit like my last set did. Thinking about swapping to URD Y pipe and BA muffler/resonator to drown out the URD rasp. Would also open up area to install an Atlas...

·
Premium Member
10,890 Posts
@Iconic_ sell me all your DT y-pipez lol. I thought the rattling was pipes against your skid. What is touching this time? The slip fit? I'd like to get rid of my skid spacers (rci style) and cat protector tubes eventually.
G'Day JP,
Might be worth a chat with Keith at BAM, ... he knows heaps about FJ exhausts....
and local ( CA ) to you
There is also a bloke DU, now making skids from 4mm SS, that do away with the Cat protectors, using wings on the skid...
Designed to tuck up high and increase clearance... shipping would be a killer tho'.
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
@Iconic_ sell me all your DT y-pipez lol. I thought the rattling was pipes against your skid. What is touching this time? The slip fit? I'd like to get rid of my skid spacers (rci style) and cat protector tubes eventually.
It was touching there when flexing offroad, but I cut that area back a bit and it doesn't hit anymore that I'm aware of. I can bop it with my hand and I can hear a rattle coming from inside the resonators, like little pieces of metal ringing around. I shipped my previous Y back to DT for replacement and the new one again, slightly rattles occasionally when shifting from low to high idle. Shipping to so-cal is $60 IIRC otherwise you could have it for cheap if you wanna try it out.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bazross Still planning to stick with aluminium skids for now. If it gets that mangled beyond repair, I can always switch back to steel but I like the weight shedding program. I don't hit rocks enough and when I do, it leaves cool marks :grin

And thanks for the heads up about BAM. I don't need much special. Fairly happy with the AFE high tuck and just wanted a confirmation the smog law doesn't get me for swapping the y-pipe. After that, i can remove the clearance spacers and cat protectors which may give me 20mm clearance. But ricochet gas tank skid still hangs about where the transfer case member is so I don't know. Still some more planning and execution to go...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it. Well let me know if/when you decide to go with the URD/BA setup. I'll take your DT gladly. Just let me know final number to PayPal for the pipe and shipping when you're ready. Thanksssss!

It was touching there when flexing offroad, but I cut that area back a bit and it doesn't hit anymore that I'm aware of. I can bop it with my hand and I can hear a rattle coming from inside the resonators, like little pieces of metal ringing around. I shipped my previous Y back to DT for replacement and the new one again, slightly rattles occasionally when shifting from low to high idle. Shipping to so-cal is $60 IIRC otherwise you could have it for cheap if you wanna try it out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a used set taking up space between my manifolds and muffler. Rattles a little bit like my last set did. Thinking about swapping to URD Y pipe and BA muffler/resonator to drown out the URD rasp. Would also open up area to install an Atlas...
If u swap, go the URD U spec exhaust (equal lenght y pipe & cat back) that's what I'm currently running with the Magnuson Supercharger.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
As I am sure you know, in California if it doesn't have a CARB sticker its illegal.
The smog stations are getting picky now days cause they don't want to fined or lose the license.
I think once a station sees the illegal device it gets noted and no matter where you go, it can not be passed. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
As I am sure you know, in California if it doesn't have a CARB sticker its illegal.
The smog stations are getting picky now days cause they don't want to fined or lose the license.
I think once a station sees the illegal device it gets noted and no matter where you go, it can not be passed. Just a heads up.
Yeah I passed smog with them. The resonators look as the secondary cats thus passes visual. As for throwing any code or diff reading once hooked up to the obd port. The scanner reads everything as it would be with the factory y pipe. This has also been tested to be true when doing tunning with Magnuson Superchargers. Factory O2 sensors still get used in the same location as on the OEM y pipe. But that's correct it doesn't have a CARB number.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
...Thinking about swapping to URD Y pipe and BA muffler/resonator to drown out the URD rasp.
Can you clarify what you're referring to here? I've got URD MT parts and am getting a "chirping noise" from the replacement throw-out bearding assembly I bought with the Stage II clutch assembly...

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
Can you clarify what you're referring to here? I've got URD MT parts and am getting a "chirping noise" from the replacement throw-out bearding assembly I bought with the Stage II clutch assembly...
I'm just talking exhaust. The URD offroad Y pipe removes the factory cats and replaces them with straight pipe. This will create quite the raspy noise with our V6's. (V8's still sounds alright) The full URD exhaust setup usually includes an additional resonator in the tailpipe to stop the rasp sound.

The Doug Thorley Y pipe also removes the cats but replaces them with resonators.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just talking exhaust. The URD offroad Y pipe removes the factory cats and replaces them with straight pipe. This will create quite the raspy noise with our V6's.
Finally installed mine. The DT has a slight roar/ rasp on acceleration. Can an exhaust leak be confused as raspy-ness?

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
Finally installed mine. The DT has a slight roar/ rasp on acceleration. Can an exhaust leak be confused as raspy-ness?
I always thought an exhaust leak sounds similar to a cylinder is missing. With the DT Y pipe I noticed the exhaust gets a little more "untamed" louder and raspy. Not much but slightly noticeable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts