Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so 3 hours from home yesterday on my way to the Summit some unearthly grinding started from my passenger front wheel. I found the nearest truck stop in the middle of a thunderstorm. I took off the wheel and when the rotor was rotated by hand it sounded like rocks grinding and rolling around on metal.

...not sure if it is the cv joint, wheel bearing or something else.

When I put the wheel back on it was undrivable.
I called the nearest Toyota dealer in Springfiled, IL and they were just closing.

I called Geico and hooked up with a tow to Toyota. While waiting on the tow truck to arrive, I talked with Bruce Beams in service at Green Toyota. He said they would work on it first thing in the morning.

The tow truck dropped my FJ off there and gave me a ride to a hotel.

Now, Green Toyota would not be able to order parts until Monday, getting them in on Tuesday, putting me in Ouray late Wednesday or Thursday, but Bruce talked to the GM (Mylas Copeland) and they decided to take care of some things to get me back on the road today. I'm waiting for a taxi now to take me over there. They are working on it now.

....more to come, as I'm not out of the woods yet; but when I am, I will have a story to tell about this dealer :)

...and about how life is an adventure :)

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Damn that sux. Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
if you have anymore trouble along the way Bill give me a jingle I have lots of friends and family in that area..

·
Registered
835 Posts
Tough luck there. I hope they know who they are dealing with and take care of you. The FJ Nation is watching!

·
Registered
534 Posts
:sick:

:umbrella: <------(for thunderstorm)

(i'd leave some interesting passing the time emoticons......but irking off an admin with a broken fj isn't the smartest thing to do.) :ack:

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
...and thanks to Matt07FJ for holding my hand on the phone while I was laying under my rig in a thunderstorm :)
no problem...I'm just glad I could halfway help ya out :)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Bummer...I hate to hear that about anybody...Git-R-Fixed!

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the taxi took me over to Green Toyota, and here's the deal:

The wheel bearings are shot. Not sure how that happens at 62,000 miles, but in my mind it's better that it happens 9 miles north of Springfield, IL than 3 miles into The Alpine Loop.

They are going to take the bearings off of an FJ on the lot to hook me up, and then reinstall them when the parts arrive back to them on Tuesday. That will get me out of here and back on the road by late afternoon today. :)
I have not received the bill yet (past warranty mileage) but I can't tell you enough about how this dealer stepped up to help out a wayward traveller.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
just to jump in, you are at the dealer i bought my 89 pu from and they are the best dealer in the area you are in, so luck is on your side.. Glad to hear you are on your way to getting out of there and back on the road....:bigthumb:

they stepped up fro me in 89 when the first pu i drove home kept popping out of 3rd gear so i took it back and they gave me another new one on the spot.. way to go Todd Green Toyota....rep points your way....:rocker:

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:sick:

:umbrella: <------(for thunderstorm)

(i'd leave some interesting passing the time emoticons......but irking off an admin with a broken fj isn't the smartest thing to do.) :ack:
The thunderstorm was refreshing (except for how heavy it makes your clothes. If I had been naked it would have been ok :worried: )
...but when the sun came out and started to melt me ..... ugh!

And for those who have been trying to call to check up on me, my phone is DEAD with both chargers in the FJ and on the lift. Thanks to all the people who care. The people on this site are better than family.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
so maybe wheel bearings should be on the list to have repacked at 50,000?

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked them to do it when I had my breaks put on a couple of weeks ago up in my neck of the woods.. They either said they did the back and the front were sealed, or they did the front and the rear were sealed. I'll need to look back at my documentation as that was two weeks ago. It does deserve some investigation, though.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Dragon, it is very fortunate that you ended up at a dealership that will go the extra mile for you to make sure you make the Summit.
Many dealerships would tell you to bad, ya gotta wait.

Props to that dealer!

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dragon, it is very fortunate that you ended up at a dealership that will go the extra mile for you to make sure you make the Summit.
Many dealerships would tell you to bad, ya gotta wait.

Props to that dealer!
x2. I just met Mylas Copeland, the GM of Green Toyota. He seems to be genuinely concerned about the customer service end and how people are treated. I intend to insure that Toyota Corporate is made aware of this man and this dealer and how they dealt with one individual on a road trip. He was unaware of the Summit before his decision to go the extra mile. Forgive me if I sound like I'm gushing, but knowing what I know about dealerships, I was expecting to be here until Wednesday. It's not out of the question for me to start using this dealer that is 3 hours away from my home over the one I have been going to, and then recommending them to any and all that I know.

People expect to get taken advantage of all too often at a dealership. In the best case scenarios, they expect to be treated like everybody else. I'm undone by what has transpired here.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sounds like this dealer is taking good care of you, Dragon. Good luck, drive safely, and enjoy the Summit! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Sorry Bill for the initial misfortune, but glad to hear that you are being taken care of. Safe travels and have a blast at Summit!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dragon,

Glad to hear this is going to work out for you! It is good to hear that not all dealers are out to rape and pillage customers! Good luck the rest of the way.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts