Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out all my oil out today. The fj has 4,000 total on it and its time.
I have the severe gear and 5w30 amsoil in the back ready to go in but i want to be sure my very incomplete tool collection is complete enough for the task.
I apologise now if this has been asnswered before.
anybody know what the drain bolt size is for the oil pan, front and rear diffs, transfercase and Manual transmission?
I have a 8 quarts to do all drive train parts.. almost doesn't look like enough but then again this is not my old dodge...
the only thing i am lacking is good grease. I'll work on getting that next week.
Thank you for your help.... you guys are a wealth of information. Joe
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have an auto trans, but I'm going to guess the man trans plugs are the same as the TC and rear axle

The rear axle and transfer case take a 24 mm, or 15/16 inch. Front axle takes a 10 mm allen socket, same as front disk brakes on GM vehicles

You can either buy the 10 mm allen by itself, or as part of a kit for servicing brakes, etc

FAM10E, Socket Driver, Metric, Hex, Standard, 10 mm

Always use a 6 point socket on the fill and drain plugs for the TC, trans, and rear axle. A 6 point socket is less likely to bugger up the head. I find a 15/16 fits the rear axle plugs a bit tighter, YMMV

Always, always, *always* remove the fill plug BEFORE you try to remove the drain plug. If for any reason the fill plug is cross threaded from the factory, or seized, you sure don't want to find out after all the gear oil drains out. Then the entire vehicle is Tango Uniform until you can figure out how to remove the fill plug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts