Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some more torque specs:

Drive shaft flange bolts: 65 ft lbs.

You're suppose to check them every time you hit a u-joint or slip yoke zerk....

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
weird to me , my drain plug does not have a gasket under the bolt>

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
What's size are the wheel lugs? Looking to get a socket so I can torque them properly.

Also, my '07 repair manual says the wheel lugs for 82 ft/lbs. Where did 85 come from? Not that 82 and 85 are a big difference :cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
The wheel lugs are 21mm. Not sure about the 82ft/lbs. I thought my manual said 85ft/lbs. I'll have to go and double-check.

Wilkie

*Edit: Just went out and checked my owners manual and definitely states that 85ft/lbs is correct. My FJ is an '07 so maybe things got changed along the way. I don't know.

*Also, I went back to the original post and added the following: Drive flange bolt torque and tools needed for each area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am getting ready to do both Diff's and the Xfer case. Can anyone tell me if they are different on the 2012 model? I found how much fluid they held in the owners manual but not anything else like torque weight.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
This is the info I use

I copied it off this site a couple of months back when I was doing the fluids on mine

In answer to your original question, I just assumed it was thesame for 2nd gen FJs 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own an '07 6mt and I just swapped out the front & rear diffs, the transfer case and the tranny to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90. I also switched the engine to Mobil 1 5W-30.

I've been trying to compile a list of torque specs and gaskets needed for all the various fill and drain plugs and so far, this is what I have:

Rear Diff:
Fill & Drain Plugs: 36 ft/lbs
Fill & Drain Plug Gaskets: 12157-10010
Tools needed: 24mm Socket

Front Diff:
Fill Plug: 29 ft/lbs.
Drain Plug: 48 ft/lbs.
Fill Plug Gasket: 12157-10010
Drain Plug Gasket: 90430-24003
Tools Needed: 10mm Hex Socket

Transfer Case:
Fill & Drain Plugs: 27 ft/lbs
Fill & Drain Plug Gaskets: 90430-18008
Tools Needed: 24mm Socket

Manual Tranny:

Engine Oil:
Drain Plug: 30 ft/lbs. (according to my local Toyota service department)
Drain Plug Gasket: 90430-12028 or 90430-12031
Tools needed: 14mm Socket with small extension, A flat screwdriver to remove the plastic oval from the stock skid plate.

Edit: I sent an e-mail to my local Toyota service department and they informed me that the torque spec for the oil drain plug is 30 ft/lbs, although this seems a bit high to me.

And thanks to Steve (sonof40) for providing the following torque specs:

Spark Plugs: 14 ft/lbs

Ignition coils: 7.4 ft/lbs

Wheel Lugs: 85 ft/lbs
Tools Needed: 21mm Deep Well Socket

And thanks to Mwhv for providing the following:

Drive Shaft Flange Bolts: 65ft/lbs.

Hopefully this info will be useful to someone. If any corrections need to be made, please let me know.

Wilkie
I haves 2007 Toyota FJ. I changed the transmission fluid and filter yesterday, butI cannot find the torque spec for the drain plug (Automatic transmission and 4 wheel drive)?? I know the fill plug is 27 torque, but can’t find anything on how hard to fasten the drain plug or the pan itself, Any help would be appreciated! Also, how can you tell if the transmission fluid is full? Unfortunately, I did not measure what ai took out, but with the car running, I kept adding fluid until it dripped out of the check valve then I closed that and tightened the drain bolt enough to not drip

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own an '07 6mt and I just swapped out the front & rear diffs, the transfer case and the tranny to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90. I also switched the engine to Mobil 1 5W-30.

I've been trying to compile a list of torque specs and gaskets needed for all the various fill and drain plugs and so far, this is what I have:

Rear Diff:
Fill & Drain Plugs: 36 ft/lbs
Fill & Drain Plug Gaskets: 12157-10010
Tools needed: 24mm Socket

Front Diff:
Fill Plug: 29 ft/lbs.
Drain Plug: 48 ft/lbs.
Fill Plug Gasket: 12157-10010
Drain Plug Gasket: 90430-24003
Tools Needed: 10mm Hex Socket

Transfer Case:

Manual Tranny:

Engine Oil:
Drain Plug: 30 ft/lbs. (according to my local Toyota service department)
Drain Plug Gasket: 90430-12028 or 90430-12031
Tools needed: 14mm Socket with small extension, A flat screwdriver to remove the plastic oval from the stock skid plate.

Edit: I sent an e-mail to my local Toyota service department and they informed me that the torque spec for the oil drain plug is 30 ft/lbs, although this seems a bit high to me.

And thanks to Steve (sonof40) for providing the following torque specs:

Spark Plugs: 14 ft/lbs

Ignition coils: 7.4 ft/lbs

Wheel Lugs: 85 ft/lbs
Tools Needed: 21mm Deep Well Socket

And thanks to Mwhv for providing the following:

Drive Shaft Flange Bolts: 65ft/lbs.

Hopefully this info will be useful to someone. If any corrections need to be made, please let me know.

Wilkie
This was very useful, and well outlined!(y)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts