Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As I live in Germany i would like you to excuse wrong english.

I bought the tuffy security drawer for my 07 FJC. This was Not so easy as there is no dealer here in germany. I had to organize the shipping, toll and taxes myself. But the guys at Tuffy were very helpful.

In the end with shipping and the Rest i nearly payed twice the price you do in the US.

The drawer is nice and working good .... BUT:

We used it in our 3 weeks trip to morokko. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/en-route-completed-expeditions/166495-africa-my-fjc-morocco.html

After this Short Time the drawer surface looked like this:

The coating is ruined. There was just normal stuff on it. Like empty water cans, sleeping bags and so on.

In my Option something produced as being "tough" should Not be scratched so easily. In fact I can scratch the surface with my fingernails! The quality of the powder coating is just not sturdy enough.

When I contacted Tuffy they just referred to their warranty:

"Thanks for the pictures.

The Tuffy warranty as published is: " Tuffy steel products are fully warranted against defects in material and workmanship, excluding the coating, under normal use during the time that the original owner possesses the vehicle in which the part is installed and used."

The structural integrity of the Tuffy Product is still intact, the coating however has been diminished. The pictures show how the paint has been scratched off from constant abrasion. The powder coating is exponentially better than traditional paints, but it still will not hold up to continuous exposure to abrasive surfaces. It is recommended that you re-coat the top of the unit with a rust-proof paint (i.e. Rustoleum) and then apply some type of adhesive matting to protect the top of the product to prevent this from happening in the future.

I am sorry, but we are unable to comply with either of your requests (refund or new parts) due to the nature of the damage when compared with our published warranty. "
Really great their customer care! I just had asked for a pair of new side flaps.
Obviousely already too much for Tuffy. ... And I am far away in germay. Does not help very much that I am a lawyer over here. :boohoo:

Just for you Out there considering to buy it to know. Good product. But could do better!

Philipp

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Philipp,
Thanks for the heads up. Was just in the market for a drawer system as well.
Will need to do more home work on alternative drawer systems after reviewing your pictures and the customer support you received. Sorry for your issues.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If I were you, I would coat the exterior in Line-X or Rhino Liner. Since you paid so much for it already, it wouldn't cost much more to have that done!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had problems when I first installed the drawer with the slides not lining up and working. They quickly sent me two new ones but one of those broke as well. At least I had two out of four working slides. It seems that if you don't line up the slides just right it bends the track and the bearing come out. I have wanted to do some other mods to the back of the FJ but I'm afraid that if I take the drawer out it will happen again. They were very quick to send me the replacements but the slide design while putting it together is not very good. They have been working great while in place though and I constantly load mine up to the 300 lb max. The finish has worked well too but I also have the FJ cargo mat on top of mine.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
As a producer of a powdercoated product....I don't think that Tuffys response was really inappropriate.

From the pictures that you posted on the Morroco thread....I see many pictures of rough roads, sand (and sand storms), camping with the rear door open and some fairly significant appearing cargo piled ontop of the drawer unit. I am sure that sand worked its way underneath those boxes and the shifting while driving did the damage to the coating.

Abrasives are the arch enemy of powdercoating (as far as asthetics are concerned anyway)....essentially, you went to the Hades of painted products. Consider it "collateral damage" from an excellent trip.

Personally, I would rattle can it with Rustolium and throw a rubber mat over the top.

Doc

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply and the suggestions.

From the pictures that you posted on the Morroco thread....I see many pictures of rough roads, sand (and sand storms), camping with the rear door open and some fairly significant appearing cargo piled ontop of the drawer unit. I am sure that sand worked its way underneath those boxes and the shifting while driving did the damage to the coating.
Not much cargo on top. No open rear door when camping. Just while cooking.

Anyways you may be right. But I still ask myself what is this product constructed for? To put it in a VW Jetta? Or to use it offroad (e.g. Sand in most places) in a 4 by 4?? For the constructing guys it should have been obvious:

- the product will be used in sand and dirt
- people will put things on the flat and strong surface
- it is designed for a real 4by4 on the base of a Toyota landcruiser

Call me a stupid german but is it wise to use (such a) powder coating if abrasives are their arch enemy?? Possible cover up materials have been named. AND: If this is State of the Art powder coating in the US I loose my best beliefs. Over here you can powdercoat your rims and it is strong and will Not get any scratches so fast. The coating at "Tuffy" :jester: is thin like paper and you merely touch it and See a scratch.

I am disappointed. About the product. ... And their reaction.
It is short sighted too. There is a FJ community here. We meet and have a Forum. Buschtaxi.net • FJ Cruiser

I was the first One to buy. Others might have followed. ... Not after what I have to report now. :simmadown:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,834 Posts
I've had mine in since the end of '08 and it's been great with no problems. There is a little scuffing and wear on the top from stuff sitting on it and the dirt/dust being abrasive. That hasn't affected how it's performed at holding my stuff I have in it. I'd still recommend it.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I have some other Tuffy powder coated products (Center console, Conceal Carry box) and my experience is their powder coating is some of the best I've seen. Looking at the pictures, I would have to agree with the above post that the environment it was exposed to likely was way more extreme than the average, although the OP wasn't necessarily abusing the unit. I personally would have those surfaces Linexed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... not necessarily abusing????

Wtf?? I was using that "tough" box the way it was designed for! It was in the back of a FJC. I used it in a sandy region (Most offroad areas are). I put light gear on the flat surface of the box. This is intended to be. In the end it is now the higher ground of the trunk.

Perhaps the coating on my box was specially bad. But the coating is just horrible.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have some other Tuffy powder coated products (Center console, Conceal Carry box) and my experience is their powder coating is some of the best I've seen. Looking at the pictures, I would have to agree with the above post that the environment it was exposed to likely was way more extreme than the average, although the OP wasn't necessarily abusing the unit. I personally would have those surfaces Linexed.
I think that linexing would be a perfect solution.

As far as Tuffys choice of powder coating as a protective material....I personally have owned their products and have found the powder coat to be as good as any others and that it has stood up to everything I have thrown at it (and I have evaluated more than a few powdercoated products). Tuffys approach is that the product will structurally withstand the rigors that it would be expected to face within certain parameters....nowhere do they claim that the product will be pretty when you get done with it.

The reality is that any finish is only going to hold up to how well you treat it...even Linex has its faults/weaknesses. It is sad that the OP does not feel that he got a decent product or an acceptable response from Tuffy. However, his argument about how the product should hold up does not really carry much weight....if it did, GMC would have repainted my pickup truck bed a few times by now, after all...I have used it for exactly the purpose it was designed for.....

(or I could take the advice above and linex it :))

All in all, It looks like it was an epic trip....well worth a little wear and tear :bigthumb:

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts