Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

I recently spoke with Mark Beech, production manager at Drifta Camping and 4WD (out of Australia), about the possibility sending one of their drawer units for the FJ Cruiser stateside, as I really like the low profile and the quality. Turns out that they'll be shipping 4-6 units over here around March.

While I don't have the cash to spring for one (Already spending that and much more on college!), I thought some others on here might be interested in these units, as they're well thought out and executed.

Currently, the units are going for around $920 US plus about $195 US for freight to a warehouse in Bend, Oregon, where the customer can either pick it up, or arrange collection through a freight company.

Additionally,the units can be had without the slide-out table for about $780 US (Plus freight). This gives two equally sized drawers rather than one taller and one shallower with a table.

Just Google Drifta 4wd for their site

Anyway, here are some pictures of the units:

The two drawers out:

Two pics of the slide-out (and freestanding) Table:

good interior fitment

Teflon runners for more room inside drawers and durability:

Jack access via driver's side drawer housing:

Room for a fridge and slide on top

Extensions to go over the seats (or replace them) to create more cargo space:

Thanks and have fun out there!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Looks well thought out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in! How do I signup and leave deposit?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Not bad at all. Cost me $400 to make my own but it also took 16 hours and isn't as nice. Back and forth to Home Depot got old and having Home Depot cut the wood required several trips. I'd recommend one at that price if you don't have a wood working shop.

Only downfall I see is it would interfere with a rear MPAC system or OEM nets while fully loaded. The bags and nets sag a bit when loaded. Also the fridge being flush with the back of the box would be a problem. I speak from experience unfortunately and my box isn't as far back as this one. Had to reconfigure it after it was completely together. The door jams closed and puts stress on the lock and latch. Sometimes the door wont open.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Just before anyone gets all worked up. Promoting GB for non supporting vendors is no-no go here on the forum.

The continued push to contact when the information is up top seems to suggest the OP has a stake in getting these cheaper (via GB).

This will be shut down if this continues

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys! Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... I'm in college right now and poking around to see what's out there, and I have no money to spend on one of these things (as much as I wish I did) so I don't have a horse in this race. Just thought I'd pass on some info, and figured that I might as well be thorough in my posting, cause if there's one thing I can't stand, it's the posting of cool stuff without adequate info on specs and pricing (the relevant stuff! haha). I realize I'm kinda skirting the edge here, but I thought these things were pretty cool, and I didn't see much info on here about them, so once I had the info, I figured I'd let others know. The push to contact the mfr. was because I didn't have the knowledge or the standing to answer queries further, and did not want to take any "shots in the dark" as to what may or may not be. I realize my mistake, and I will henceforth choose my words more carefully. Again, sorry for any violations on my part, as that was far from my intent. Feel free to lock/delete the thread if it is deemed necessary.

Sincerely,
Logan

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Sorry guys! Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... I'm in college right now and poking around to see what's out there, and I have no money to spend on one of these things (as much as I wish I did) so I don't have a horse in this race. Just thought I'd pass on some info, and figured that I might as well be thorough in my posting, cause if there's one thing I can't stand, it's the posting of cool stuff without adequate info on specs and pricing (the relevant stuff! haha). I realize I'm kinda skirting the edge here, but I thought these things were pretty cool, and I didn't see much info on here about them, so once I had the info, I figured I'd let others know. The push to contact the mfr. was because I didn't have the knowledge or the standing to answer queries further, and did not want to take any "shots in the dark" as to what may or may not be. I realize my mistake, and I will henceforth choose my words more carefully. Again, sorry for any violations on my part, as that was far from my intent. Feel free to lock/delete the thread if it is deemed necessary.

Sincerely,

Logan

I don't have any money as of next week... Lift, lights... Haha. Nice looking stuff though.

Even if it was pushing the envelope a bit, thanks for sharing. Haha I hope you aren't in any trouble.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope I'm not in any trouble either. That's the last thing I want to do, especially as a newb here, seeing as I'm going to be keeping the vehicle until it's too expensive to fix (hopefully that means a long time haha)!

Thanks,
Logan

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Hope I'm not in any trouble either. That's the last thing I want to do, especially as a newb here, seeing as I'm going to be keeping the vehicle until it's too expensive to fix (hopefully that means a long time haha)!

Thanks,
Logan

Haha, I'm guessing it's all okay.

I've never personally interacted with Old Cruiser, but he seems like a nice guy from seeing comments of his. The mods have to deal with a lot of crap in the forum, so he's just doing his job.
I have not been a member for super long, so I am still a bit of a newb, but welcome.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
No your fine.

It just started to look like one of these vendors who comes on as a regular guy and self promotes. Its always good to see new innovative items for these rigs since we are a small market. Just have to tow the line since its the supporting vendors on her that keep this place paid for.

Thanks for understanding

:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Old Cruiser, I completely understand that you were just doing your job, and I'm glad that you are, as this forum couldn't be what it is today if someone didn't deal with all the crap! haha And yes, the supporting vendors play a HUGE role as well, and I wouldn't want to undercut them! Just wanted to be sure that everyone knew that I had no ulterior motives behind my post. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Logan

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I used this forum section on rear storage & had a local cabinet maker make one like it for 500$ The unit here does look very nice. I am very happy with mine. Cheers

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts