Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm still pretty new to the forums here, and I've only had my FJ for almost a month now. Anyway, I installed a Kenwood DDX812 deck and just got a reverse camera for it too. How have people been able to drill through the steel that is holding on the receiver / hitch mount? I didn't want to start with just a normal bit and everyone at Ace, Sears & Checker all said I need a steel hole saw bit, but nobody had one.

The camera is about 1.125" wide, so it's a pretty substantial hole. I may just do it off center as there doesn't seem to be an easy way at this point. My bumper cover is off & I'm currently scratching my head before I go bore-ing in to my bebe.

Thoughts? my set up will look similar to this guy's when done:

Thanks!

~Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got back to the forums and from what I can see, I may be way off. I was expecting to drill out here:

But it appears that the other folks are going somewhere higher? Does this just cut into the foam? It doesn't appear I'll have enough room, but I could be way off here.

~Jason

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
From the looks of it on that example the camera is in the foam. Doesn't look like any steel had to be drilled into. I also think that that rear cross member that the hitch is attached to is fully boxed in so you would have a problem getting it in there and mounted unless you drill an excessively large hole. Best bet would be to drill above the cross member and into the plastic/foam. You'll have to judge just how much foam to remove and if it will be at the correct height, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I mounted mine just at the (right) side of the hitch and inline with the backup sensors. The body of the Eclipse BEC106 camera is rectangular and is tucked snuggly inside the foam.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just remember, if you put it down there and you ever use your tow hitch, even for something like a bike rack, it's most likely going to be obscured. Center cap for the spare also makes a good spot or off center around the license plate area.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Seem to remember seeing someone mounting it higher up inside the spare tire carrier.
Can't find the thread though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. In looking at it more, I guess just holding the bumper up with the foam in there isn't the best way to gauge the proper drilling height. Seems it sags a bit or something.

I was actually thinking about putting it right in the receiver plug that says "Toyota" and doing some quick disconnects for the very few times I'll be using the hitch. It'd at least be a simple no-drill option and would allow me to try it out & determine if it's work relocating. I'd even be able to throw some foam in the receiver to keep it stable.

~J

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. In looking at it more, I guess just holding the bumper up with the foam in there isn't the best way to gauge the proper drilling height. Seems it sags a bit or something.

I was actually thinking about putting it right in the receiver plug that says "Toyota" and doing some quick disconnects for the very few times I'll be using the hitch. It'd at least be a simple no-drill option and would allow me to try it out & determine if it's work relocating. I'd even be able to throw some foam in the receiver to keep it stable.

~J
You know, that's an excellent idea! Your own version of the "hitch cam" eh?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
have you thought about getting one that mounts on the rear license plate? I have one the design is very slim and it works great, seems to work especially well at night! here is what the view is from the head unit.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
One of the advantages of having a backup camera is to help you hitch and un-hitch the trailer; so disconnecting it to tow defeats one of it's major advantages.

Mine is located off to the side and at an slight angle under the bumper and I can see the hitch clearly.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I mounted mine just at the (right) side of the hitch and inline with the backup sensors. The body of the Eclipse BEC106 camera is rectangular and is tucked snuggly inside the foam.

Any more details you would like to share about your install? Were does the wire exit the vehicle and run though the hose to the back? Any special stuff you used in the hole drilled for the camera lens? Looks like like there might be a piece of rubber in the hole.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts