Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a week up at my cabin which included at least 3 or 4 hours of daily trail bombing. Mostly Sand, Mud, and loose dirt. I was washing my truck yesterday, paying extra attention to the underside of the rig because I'm doing a bunch of work under there this coming week. I was amazed to see that the entire length of my BudBuilt skids were holding about and inch and a half deep layer of dried mud and sand. I went to wash it out and ended up with Mud, sand, and water sitting in there. They really don't drain out well at all. So, has anyone drilled out some drain holes in your skids? I know they didn't put big holes in it like Man-A-Fre to minimize the chance of getting it snagged on something, but I'm thinking a series of SMALL drain holes, placed strategically would go a long way in helping solve this problem. Not only is it a pain in the butt to clean all that crap out, but I was driving around with like fifty pounds of crap stuck in my skids.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 1/2" holes for the drains....and very few at that. Putting large holes in plate steel significantly weakens it (exception being dimple dies).

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go any bigger than 1/2" holes for the drains....and very few at that. Putting large holes in plate steel significantly weakens it (exception being dimple dies).

Sean
X2 I wouldn't drill holes.

BUT - Call Bud and see what's his take on it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
There are actually formulas for figuring how much % of an area you can drill without affecting strength, but I have NO idea what they are. I would think a few small holes, especially near corner wouldn't have an affect.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
X2 I wouldn't drill holes.

BUT - Call Bud and see what's his take on it.
He could always call Man-A-Fre when he needs to upgrade the skids, tho :rofl:

Been dying to say that for ever.

Sorry, not a serious comment. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts