Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw this out there, don't drink and use firearms….Don't have guns out when you crack open a beer. You would think this was common sense but I have come across more then one group of shooters who thought because they were on BLM Land and out in the middle of no where they could crack open a brew and go at it.

I have spent considerable time in the Hungry Valley BLM area in the Reno, NV area over the last year, with the most recent trek in 6-8 inches of snow. I know the area, I pushed my limits more than once but only the only thing that is going to pay is my rig or my life.

A group of shooters, wearing camo…Paint ball vests, ton of army stickers and booze. I did not see the alcohol before approaching, this is when I got a Glock 17 pointed at my face as he waved it around to show it off to his buddy. I quickly asked him to stop, and look where he was pointing his weapon; obviously these guys were wannabes of the service and no real training.

You meet all types on BLM land, hopefully the few will not be the impression others think of when they view off roaders, hikers, shooters or just explorers.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there, don't drink and use firearms….Don't have guns out when you crack open a beer. You would think this was common sense but I have come across more then one group of shooters who thought because they were on BLM Land and out in the middle of no where they could crack open a brew and go at it.

I have spent considerable time in the Hungry Valley BLM area in the Reno, NV area over the last year, with the most recent trek in 6-8 inches of snow. I know the area, I pushed my limits more than once but only the only thing that is going to pay is my rig or my life.

A group of shooters, wearing camo…Paint ball vests, ton of army stickers and booze. I did not see the alcohol before approaching, this is when I got a Glock 17 pointed at my face as he waved it around to show it off to his buddy. I quickly asked him to stop, and look where he was pointing his weapon; obviously these guys were wannabes of the service and no real training.

You meet all types on BLM land, hopefully the few will not be the impression others think of when they view off roaders, hikers, shooters or just explorers.
I agree with you, sadly I see people drinking while doing all kinds things. The one that gets me the most and I see frequently is people drinking and wheeling.
Just because you're not on a paved road, doesn't mean its time to get wasted and go driving.:stickpoke:

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Had sort of a similar thing happen last wheeling trip. Went on a trail that essentially goes to the top of a mountain/hill/whatever where there is a huge clearing at the top. Drove through the clearing as the trail continued down another way.
On our way back up we heard tons of gunfire. Sounded like it was towards us based on the clear loudness of it. We get back to the top where the clearing is and it is just a big ol yee-haw redneck gun fest. Old lifted Boncos and F150s galore. A guy actually had some target ON the trail we were coming up.
They wouldn't even move their truck out of the way so we drove around the clearing through a field to get back to the trail.

People are just stupid.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I have never understood the fun or entertainment in mixing drinking with outdoor activities the two don't mix well to make Fun, half the time fights break out between friends or accidents happen which are really incidents of stupidity not accidents. I have seen it so often... One part nice guy, two parts alcohol , instant a$$hole.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
LOL yall sound like a bunch of Baptists! I enjoy mixing alcohol with outdoor activities (i.e. tailgates, camping, watersports, etc), but I'm at least responsible when I bring my guns... shoot them first, then crack open a brewsky. Don't like that? Go complain on the internet. :alfdance:

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
But if you should not drink, and plink, where does one get empty beer cans to shoot at? JUST KIDDING!!

This is right up there with smoking a cigarette while pumping gas. Yes, I have seen it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
But if you should not drink, and plink, where does one get empty beer cans to shoot at? JUST KIDDING!!

This is right up there with smoking a cigarette while pumping gas. Yes, I have seen it.
I saw a guy smoking a cigar while filling gas cans in the bed of his truck the other day.:lol:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I go out shooting my firearms while drinking all of the time here. It gets hot in the summer here and I have yet to shoot anyone or have a problem with my drinking of an iced tea while shooting.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I learned that one the hard way back in the early 70s (dumb kids)!
Late at night watching a James Bond marathon while the wife was sleeping. Only shot out my TV though when I forgot there was "one in the chamber" :-/

Told my wife "the TV just "blew up" and promptly put it on the curb after removing the piece of lead (hit just below the screen...no broken glass, just circuit board shattered with a mysterious hole near the speaker)!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I learned that one the hard way back in the early 70s (dumb kids)!
Late at night watching a James Bond marathon while the wife was sleeping. Only shot out my TV though when I forgot there was "one in the chamber" :-/

Told my wife "the TV just "blew up" and promptly put it on the curb after removing the piece of lead (hit just below the screen...no broken glass, just circuit board shattered with a mysterious hole near the speaker)!
Dude. I hope I am never within a mile of you!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
LOL yall sound like a bunch of Baptists! I enjoy mixing alcohol with outdoor activities (i.e. tailgates, camping, watersports, etc), but I'm at least responsible when I bring my guns... shoot them first, then crack open a brewsky. Don't like that? Go complain on the internet. :alfdance:
I think it's safe to assume most people do as you suggest... Pretty sure there is a difference between having one or two drinks and drinking, drinking, shooting, drinking, and shooting drinks and drinking and shooting all day long with liquored up buds. You have to admit the extremes are bad. What's a Baptist.:lol:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dude. I hope I am never within a mile of you!
Dude! That was many years ago...when I was a lot more -- uh -- careless.
I have almost 40 years of continuous firearms experience, and shoot a lot better, and safer than I ever have.

That was my first semi-auto pistol and probably had only fired 100 rnds through it....I was just a dumb-a$$ kid playing around...and learned one of the basic safety tenants of a semi-autos the "medium way" (the hard way really sux).

:wave:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts