Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find any related posts on this. 2013 4wd auto w/40k. Has anyone seen a small drip onto the floorboard directly under the steering column or brake pedal. It is a very slow tiny drip, about one every week. It seems to be clear and oily like brake fluid but not sure. Any clues?:confused:

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Never heard of it but I believe brake fluid id the only fluid close to that area. Did you look around your master cylinder for leaks :)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
You can definitely tell by smell if its brake fluid. (unless there is something new I don't know about :grin)

·
Desert Moderator
6,022 Posts
well It's probably not from the clutch...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,899 Posts
Could be water that has flowed through and picked up a bit of oil or grease...maybe check under the headliner for signs of leaky roof, especially if you brake fluid level is ok? I had water dripping down onto the dead pedal once, and was my first sign of leaking roof.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its such a small amount, its hard to tell. There is not much smell but there might be a slight brake fluid smell, just not sure. It looks like water but has a slightly oily feel and smears. Did your roof leak drip onto floor from under the pedals? It only a couple inches from the firewall. I will get my fat butt down in there and look up to see if I can get a better location.

Is it possible for brake fluid to come back thru the firewall to the inside?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,899 Posts
The roof leak came down through the A Pillar, and came out under the dash. Maybe you can lay some clean white paper towels down in the footwell to capture location and get a sample? And is your brake fluid level ok?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get your hand up under the dash and see if you come up with any fluid on it from where the push rod/clevis comes through the bellows from the master cylinder through the firewall. The master may be leaking through the back and running into the cabin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it is brake fluid it will not evaporate. Pull the mat and put it in a warm place. I suspect it is brake fluid. Check the reservoir but if it's only a drop now and them you may not see much of a drop. Also check the firewall for fluid in the engine compartment under the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After watching it for a while now, the drip is very slow like a drop every couple days. The drip is coming from the brake plunger area going thru the firewall. I am having a hard time understanding how brake fluid could make it from the master cyl all the way thru the booster onto the pushrod into the cabin. Anyone have some insight or experience. Google has some cases of clutch leaks but nothing on toyota leak like this that I could find. I wonder what the fix would be if it is leaking all thru like that.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
discussed with the dealership today. Hold on to your butt- $3828, to replace the whole assembly. He said there is no rebuild kit and the only way fluid can get back there is for the master cyl to be leaking into the booster and coming thru the firewall with the push rod.
Anyone ever changed our one of these babies?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
discussed with the dealership today. Hold on to your butt- $3828, to replace the whole assembly. He said there is no rebuild kit and the only way fluid can get back there is for the master cyl to be leaking into the booster and coming thru the firewall with the push rod.
Anyone ever changed our one of these babies?
https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com/v-2013-toyota-fj-cruiser--base--4-0l-v6-gas/brakes--hydraulic-system

Take a look at the parts schematic here. Looks like you can purchase item 3 which is the entire master cylinder assembly for $965 for OEM Toyota or the entire powerbooster assembly including the master cylinder for $1754. Not that these are cheap....but good god...$3800. How much of that is labor and how much is parts?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The part was $2800, rest was labor which included installation and bleeding lines etc. Thats a much better price. I wonder how difficult it is to change. Mainly brake lines and connections outside, 4 bolts holds it thru the firewall. Not sure how hard it is to disconnect and reconnect the plunger rod, its kinds hidden. Thanks

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The part was $2800, rest was labor which included installation and bleeding lines etc. Thats a much better price. I wonder how difficult it is to change. Mainly brake lines and connections outside, 4 bolts holds it thru the firewall. Not sure how hard it is to disconnect and reconnect the plunger rod, its kinds hidden. Thanks
Well, if that dealer said that they cant change the master cylinder and wanted also $2800 for an $800 part and $1000 for labor....I would say they are fleecing you. Why not find a local mechanic or brake shop that can do the work and allow you to provide an OEM part?

As far as removing, look under the dash and see how the plunger is attached to the pedal...probably just a press fit or plastic cage that fits over a nub/stud on the brake pedal. I suspect removing the master cylinder and plunger are easy...harder work might be reinstalling things, bleeding brake system etc. I would probably want a brake shop with some expertise doing that. Plus if you only replace the master cylinder piece (#3), the may have to take apart and reinstall some of the powerbooster items to that master cylinder as you can see from the parts schematic.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, thats it. Exactly what I've got going on. I about to say if it doesnt get any worse to just live with it. I talked to reputable shop today and he was shocked at the cost of the part from the dealer. He could do it with new part for $3400. I'm going to call that Cool Springs Toyota and check that $1750 price.
How long have you been leaking, you know?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahh, the $1750 is the brake master cyl and booster, but not the pump assembly part which is another $720. All this is included in the complete assembly from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts