Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
It has been leaking for some time, probably a year or more. It has gotten much worse the last few months. I do not drive my FJ much, only 30k miles on it, so it tends to sit. I think this has actually made it worse. Had a friend of mine look at it today that specializes in Toyota repairs look at it. He hasn't given me an estimate yet.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes please keep me posted on your repair plan. Mine is a white 2013 with 42k.
I could live with this if I felt comfortable it was not going to get worse or have some sort of catastrophic failure. According to my research, this is quite rare.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So it appears that there are several seals that are replaceable that could be the issue. My mechanic is looking into the availability of said parts. He is also checking to see if the pump unit has been upgraded with a newer version. If it has he will likely recommend replacing the entire unit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Went my mechanics today, parts are in. He is very confident that this repair will fix the issue. I have attached the parts diagram showing the parts.

Yes please keep me posted on your repair plan. Mine is a white 2013 with 42k.
I could live with this if I felt comfortable it was not going to get worse or have some sort of catastrophic failure. According to my research, this is quite rare.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey, thanks for the follow up. Now thats an old fashioned repair we're missing these days. Appreciate that. I will find me a mechanic (other than the dealer).
Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
Parts are installed with no issues. Time will tell if the leak is repaired. My mechanic says I should be good to go. Total cost was $400.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Parts are installed with no issues. Time will tell if the leak is repaired. My mechanic says I should be good to go. Total cost was $400.
since these individual parts arent available from Toyota OEM according to the parts diagram, do you know where your mechanic sourced these individual parts (e.g. do you know the aftermarket manufacturer and part numbers that he did use)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe they were Toyota parts. I will check tomorrow when I pick up my FJ.

since these individual parts arent available from Toyota OEM according to the parts diagram, do you know where your mechanic sourced these individual parts (e.g. do you know the aftermarket manufacturer and part numbers that he did use)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
OEM Toyota parts:
Master cylinder sub-assembly plug 47027-60090
Sub-assembly snap ring 90520-32012
Master cylinder boot 90029-70001

These are the tree parts circled in the Toyota parts diagram in my earlier post..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Ice. Do you know if he had to tear down the unit to repair? It kinda looks like these parts could be replaced after just removing the unit from firewall. It seems they fit onto the rod that goes thru the firewall. The mechanic I talked to yesterday was hesitant about tearing down the assembly for some reason.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The ABS unit was removed from my FJ and the defective parts were removed and replaced. The issue is the seal keeps pressure in the master cylinder, if the repair fails you have no brakes. This is why Toyota replaces the entire unit versus repairing it. If a Toyota mechanic rebuilds the unit and it fails he is at fault. If he replaces the unit and it fails Toyota is at fault. My mechanic explained this to me today while I was at his shop. It is why almost all dealers replace instead of rebuild things like this. Find yourself a competent mechanic and have it repaired. FYI, the parts are not stocked at the dealership and will likely need to be sent from California.

Thanks Ice. Do you know if he had to tear down the unit to repair? It kinda looks like these parts could be replaced after just removing the unit from firewall. It seems they fit onto the rod that goes thru the firewall. The mechanic I talked to yesterday was hesitant about tearing down the assembly for some reason.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The ABS unit was removed from my FJ and the defective parts were removed and replaced. The issue is the seal keeps pressure in the master cylinder, if the repair fails you have no brakes. This is why Toyota replaces the entire unit versus repairing it. If a Toyota mechanic rebuilds the unit and it fails he is at fault. If he replaces the unit and it fails Toyota is at fault. My mechanic explained this to me today while I was at his shop. It is why almost all dealers replace instead of rebuild things like this. Find yourself a competent mechanic and have it repaired. FYI, the parts are not stocked at the dealership and will likely need to be sent from California.
Was the repair successful and the leak stopped.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
$325 is somewhat better than the $3800 dealer quote. Fingers crossed as the mechanic does not think the fluid should be even getting to these new parts in the first place. FYI - Brann's in Lufkin, Tx did a great job.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts