Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels like my slip yolk "sticks" a little when starting from a dead stop. Or the rear brakes stick a bit...

QUESTION: Do you really have to use two kinds of grease (one for the yolk, the other for the U-joints)?

I assume it's a pretty straight forward design. Also, shouldn't the shaft have a "bellows" type of boot to keep dirt from getting in the seal??

· Premium Member
9,303 Posts
It feels like my slip yolk "sticks" a little when starting from a dead stop. Or the rear brakes stick a bit...
My money would be on the brakes; not sure how you would feel (or tell if it was) the slip yoke.

QUESTION: Do you really have to use two kinds of grease (one for the yolk, the other for the U-joints)?
No, not if you use a high-quality NLGI #2 grease, for example a good synthetic NLGI #2 grease.

I assume it's a pretty straight forward design. Also, shouldn't the shaft have a "bellows" type of boot to keep dirt from getting in the seal??
Never seen one on any other Toyota drive shaft. Dirt near/in the seal not a big issue in my experience - the tight clearance between the shaft and the slip yoke keeps everything out as far as I can tell.

· Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 1911-
I've seen other posts relating to this "thump/sticking" when letting off the brakes from a dead stop and accelerating (NOT the A/C/ compressor issue when at a full stop). Most agreed it was likely the slip yolk needing grease and simply sticking a little before "breaking free". My initial theory was one of the dual pistons not releasing at the exact same moment...

I figured I'd try lubing it up before looking further into it. I need a new grease gun, so I guess I'll lube 'er up this weekend. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS JOLT AT TAKE OF (I've got a TRD Auto)??

Thanks

PS 1911- Are you really OLD, or do you have an affinity for a particular firearm?!

· Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man-I never could get used to the 1911-I know there's a HUGE following, but I grew up with German & Italian models and prefer Glocks, Sigs & the new XD models these daze.

Always found it to be a little akward for my hands and keeping that hammer ****ed went against my intuition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.