Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many others here I have the driveline thunk at low speeds on excel and decel. I followed what everyone says and greased all the zurks. I fully flushed out the old gross grease with fresh stuff and did the 3-4 pumps into the driveline shaft. Unfortunately I am still getting the clunks, this is a new car to me and the first time I have done the greasing. The car has 110k on it and the grease was brown so prob hasn't been done.

I have seen some videos and people suggest that you pump grease into the driveline until it starts to extend, I also read that you don't want to over pump it either or it will hydrolock. So I went on the safe side and just did the 3-4 pumps. But I never noticed it move at all. Would it help to keep pumping until I see movement? Also if I do pump until extension in the shaft does it matter or help more if the rear suspension is jacked up off the ground with no load or sitting on the ground with full load?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
For what its worth I pumped in almost an entire tube until I saw the driveshaft move. It still has the clunk. Its had the clunk its entire 13 1/2 year life. I don`t worry about it anymore just pump some grease in every now and then :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the clunk in my 2012. I don't recall exactly how many pumps into the drive shaft I used the first time but I think it was 10-15. I added 4-5 every few weeks until the clunk gradually lessened/disappeared. I add 4-5 pumps at every oil change. I can see a light coating of grease at the slide joint now.

The grease worked for me, however, mine only had 22K miles when I bought it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Rear shaft was recalled for the clunk. Had mine replaced, no more feeling like I've been rear ended while sitting at a light.
The only recall I ever heard of was the seatbelt recall....which I did. I would have got this one done if I knew of it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet thanks for the replies, I jumped under and did about 15+ more pumps but still saw no movement. I think I'll do what Adrift did and keep adding grease if I still feel the clunk since its pretty easy to crawl under and add a few. Ill report back any findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Drove a round a bit and never noticed the clunk so it looks like adding more lube did the trick. Ill prob continue to add a few pumps ever oil change until I see some movement.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts