Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver arm rest, the front of it, I feel the foam isn't all there. Just at the tip. My pass arm rest is new (never used).

1) Can the arm rest be replaced?

2) Should I take to upholstery shop to fix?

Any ideas?

I can post some pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I ponied up the money and replaced mine. Here is a photo of what mine looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ponied up the money and replaced mine. Here is a photo of what mine looked like.
thank you

Mine is probably missing the foam at the forward most point

1) where did you order?

2) how difficult to remove and install?

3)$$

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
It's a Toyota only part. Easy to find on any dealer part search. Having it repaired would cost more than a new one. removing it takes just a few minutes but they changed the application in 2012. Look for a round or square fitment on the seat.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Toyota only part. Easy to find on any dealer part search. Having it repaired would cost more than a new one. removing it takes just a few minutes but they changed the application in 2012. Look for a round or square fitment on the seat.
thank you

I will search the cost and figure out how to take it off

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
As @BadWolf indicates, you just need to go to any online OEM Toyota parts supplier and purchase a replacement. Toyota of Cool Springs is a forum sponsor and has pretty good discount from list price and inexpensive shipping (at least in my experience). But there are plenty of other online OEM parts dealers too such as Sparks Toyota, Camelback Toyota, Olathe Toyota, Toyota of Dallas etc. Once you get the part # you can google that part number and do some shopping.

Here is the parts schematic from Cool Springs. Item 9 is the armrest. What I cant figure out is which is the correct one to replace the armrest on the driver's seat. Does right refer to the right or passenger seat? Or, does the left or right designation in the parts list refer to the side of the seat where the armrest is attached? (e.g. does "right" mean the armrest attached on the right hand side of the driver's seat or does right refer to the armrest that is attached on the left hand side of the right or passenger seat). Maybe @[email protected] can clarify.

https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com/v-2012-toyota-fj-cruiser--base--4-0l-v6-gas/body--front-seat-components

Unfortunately for you, the armrest for the driver's seat is pricey. Strange thing is that the armrest for the passenger seat did not originally come on the FJ and was sold separately as an accessory and priced at approximately $75-$95 depending on where you buy it. See here:

accessory part # 08471-35801-B0 (for 07-12 FJs with the square peg style)

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~armrest~kit~08471-35801-b0.html

accessory part # 08471-35810-B0 (for 13-14 FJs with round peg style)

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~armrest~kit~08471-35810-b0.html

As far as removing the armrest, there is a plastic cover that goes over the attaching bolt. just pop or pry this off to reveal the bolt. I believe you will need a 14mm thin wall socket to remove it. Easy peasy.

·
Vendor
34 Posts
As @BadWolf indicates, you just need to go to any online OEM Toyota parts supplier and purchase a replacement. Toyota of Cool Springs is a forum sponsor and has pretty good discount from list price and inexpensive shipping (at least in my experience). But there are plenty of other online OEM parts dealers too such as Sparks Toyota, Camelback Toyota, Olathe Toyota, Toyota of Dallas etc. Once you get the part # you can google that part number and do some shopping.

Here is the parts schematic from Cool Springs. Item 9 is the armrest. What I cant figure out is which is the correct one to replace the armrest on the driver's seat. Does right refer to the right or passenger seat? Or, does the left or right designation in the parts list refer to the side of the seat where the armrest is attached? (e.g. does "right" mean the armrest attached on the right hand side of the driver's seat or does right refer to the armrest that is attached on the left hand side of the right or passenger seat). Maybe @[email protected] can clarify.

https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com/v-2012-toyota-fj-cruiser--base--4-0l-v6-gas/body--front-seat-components

Unfortunately for you, the armrest for the driver's seat is pricey. Strange thing is that the armrest for the passenger seat did not originally come on the FJ and was sold separately as an accessory and priced at approximately $75-$95 depending on where you buy it. See here:

As far as removing the armrest, there is a plastic cover that goes over the attaching bolt. just pop or pry this off to reveal the bolt. I believe you will need a 14mm thin wall socket to remove it. Easy peasy.
For this particular case, and most cases, left is referring to the driver's side seat and right is refering to the passenger's side seat.

As far as pricing goes, any time a part is available as an accessory, it will be cheaper. For example, OEM aluminum wheels usually retail for ~$500 each, like the 17" FJ 8 holes. The accessory aluminum wheels, like the 16" 6 spoke FJ wheels, retail for $170 each. Another example is retractable tonneau covers in certain Toyotas. They retail for $5-700 depending on the vehicle, but now that they aren't available as an OEM part and only as an accessory, they are around $200.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
For this particular case, and most cases, left is referring to the driver's side seat and right is refering to the passenger's side seat.

As far as pricing goes, any time a part is available as an accessory, it will be cheaper. For example, OEM aluminum wheels usually retail for ~$500 each, like the 17" FJ 8 holes. The accessory aluminum wheels, like the 16" 6 spoke FJ wheels, retail for $170 each. Another example is retractable tonneau covers in certain Toyotas. They retail for $5-700 depending on the vehicle, but now that they aren't available as an OEM part and only as an accessory, they are around $200.
Thanks @[email protected] for the information on which armrest to order for 2012 drivers side seat (e.g. the one described as left in the parts diagram part # 72890-35013-B1) and for the additional explanation on accessory pricing.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the help

Funny how driver is pricier than passenger

My pass is perfect:)

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
um... wondering if the passenger side has the same shape (but mirrored) than the driver side? mine has both and looks different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts