Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously those are the extremes I saw on ebay, but it's bad. I just wanted to vent and hope someone could possibly direct me to where I'm not getting rapped.

My armrest is all broke down so I was looking to replace it and basically everything I can find on google is a passenger side armrest. The few driver side ones you can find are outrageous. At least doubled. Biggest stupid price gouge I've seen.

My passenger armrest is mint, barely used. I've started reaching over and using it from my driver side as my armrest is broke down to a 1/2 inch sized piece of metal I think. No way that flimsy thing should cost hundreds of dollars to replace.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
You didn't state what model year your FJ is, but the armrest is available from some of the overseas Toyota parts distributors for around $245 + shipping. Still outrageous, but much better than $492.

·
17,825 Posts
I bought a $14 OEM cloth upholstery covering and some new padding. Glued, shaped with an electric bread knife and recovered it. The OEM cover is velcro'd on, not stitched. Then placed a Wet Okole neoprene cover over that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't state what model year your FJ is, but the armrest is available from some of the overseas Toyota parts distributors for around $245 + shipping. Still outrageous, but much better than $492.

Good god, I thought 190 bucks was outrageous too. I think I found one for that. Why are the passenger ones so cheap?

·
Admin
9,891 Posts
You could also look at a padded center console... which would take place of both armrests.

Tuffy makes one that many people have used and seemed to like.

Reactions: SilvFx

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,375 Posts
All FJs came with the drivers side armrest as far as I know but the passenger side was always offered as an optional component. Due to this, that is why the passenger side is much cheaper and more readily available, they simply made more for the passenger side.

Do keep in mind the 2007-2012 FJs had a different mounting peg than the 2013+ FJs so their armrests are specific for those years.

My driver's armrest was getting worn out and after calling around I was able to find a salvage yard that was willing to sell just the armrest, so maybe you can try that. Though they usually don't like to do that since they sell the seat as an entire unit and having the armrest with it makes it complete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All FJs came with the drivers side armrest as far as I know but the passenger side was always offered as an optional component. Due to this, that is why the passenger side is much cheaper and more readily available, they simply made more for the passenger side.

Do keep in mind the 2007-2012 FJs had a different mounting peg than the 2013+ FJs so their armrests are specific for those years.

My driver's armrest was getting worn out and after calling around I was able to find a salvage yard that was willing to sell just the armrest, so maybe you can try that. Though they usually don't like to do that since they sell the seat as an entire unit and having the armrest with it makes it complete.
I appreciate the info. Even the one I found for $190 has to come from Japan and cost another 100 something in shipping I noticed when I looked back.

What is a fair price for an entire seat with reasonable wear from a junkyard? Obviously I'm clueless on this stuff and I'm scared to even ask how much the whole seat cost.

My seat has the common hole on the left side where you get in and out about a dime size I patched and a little scuffing. I'd be more interested in replacing the whole thing with a better used one than paying $300 whatever dollars for a freaking armrest if it was reasonable.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
All FJs came with the drivers side armrest as far as I know but the passenger side was always offered as an optional component. Due to this, that is why the passenger side is much cheaper and more readily available, they simply made more for the passenger side. (snip)
Why would Toyota make "more" of the passenger side armrests than driver's side armrests?

Seems to me that the absolute maximum number of passenger armrests that Toyota would produce would be approximately equal to the total number of driver's armrests. And since only a limited number of FJ owners actually bought the 'accessory' passenger armrest, the total number produced would likely be far less than driver's side.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,375 Posts
Why would Toyota make "more" of the passenger side armrests than driver's side armrests?

Seems to me that the absolute maximum number of passenger armrests that Toyota would produce would be approximately equal to the total number of driver's armrests. And since only a limited number of FJ owners actually bought the 'accessory' passenger armrest, the total number produced would likely be far less than driver's side.
You're probably right hahaha

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I`ve had my FJ for 15 1/2 years now and I still have never used the armrests drivers side or passenger. :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I appreciate the info. Even the one I found for $190 has to come from Japan and cost another 100 something in shipping I noticed when I looked back.

What is a fair price for an entire seat with reasonable wear from a junkyard? Obviously I'm clueless on this stuff and I'm scared to even ask how much the whole seat cost.

My seat has the common hole on the left side where you get in and out about a dime size I patched and a little scuffing. I'd be more interested in replacing the whole thing with a better used one than paying $300 whatever dollars for a freaking armrest if it was reasonable.
FYI...another alternative to consider for longer term is a Katzkin leather upholstery kit. Will certainly cost more, but a DIY leather kit for both fronts and rear seats is about $950. It comes with replacement covers for both armrests. I went that route because I had the same hole in the drivers side seat cover....and no local upholstery shops were interested in nor could find replacement fabric for FJ cloth interior. I bought my custom kit here:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI...another alternative to consider for longer term is a Katzkin leather upholstery kit. Will certainly cost more, but a DIY leather kit for both fronts and rear seats is about $950. It comes with replacement covers for both armrests. I went that route because I had the same hole in the drivers side seat cover....and no local upholstery shops were interested in nor could find replacement fabric for FJ cloth interior. I bought my custom kit here:

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Car

I bought a 5 dollar patch.

I had yellow foam showing and it covered that at least. The middle part is scuffed. If I could find a whole seat that would be great but not sure how the airbag would work. That's important to me that it does.

If I get anything I think I'd go for the MW brothers Leather seat covers that are about $600.The rest of my seats have basically never been sat on and look great. I'd like the option if I sold it to still have the stock seats as good as the rest are and give any other owner the option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy a Tuffy Security center console! Had them in two previous FJ's and were great. Added storage & arm rest. Wide shoulders don't work with the Toyota armrest. I always kept them up & Tuffy box was good for passenger & driver. Just my preference...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Good god, I thought 190 bucks was outrageous too. I think I found one for that. Why are the passenger ones so cheap?
Because the passenger side is a low demand part. I pulled two driver seats out of wrecks to build one complete and functional seat. The cost to replace the driver seat is high because it takes all the abuse and wear. The same reason the driver seat eventually rips on the left side seat seam.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts