Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’ve recently bought my fj at 94,000 miles and now at 110,000 and have been hearing an annoyingly loud clunking sound recently. I do my own maintenance but am having trouble figuring out what the exact sound is. My best guess is it is a bad bushing in either the rear upper or lower control arms. I have eliminated the possibilities of it coning from the rear shocks (replaced both), bottle jack, sway links or bar (removed), and muffler hitting the frame. Anyone with ideas I havent thought of please lmk, otherwise I will replace suspension one by one to figure it out. Thank you

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it's a pop kinda clunk when slow turning in a tight radius it's likely LCA bushings. Not sure when or what you are experiencing. So it's hard to say. It could simply be a loose skid plate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to be descriptive of when it happens. But it happens when i go over small bumps big bumps and same with holes going fast and slow. Recently, I packed up the fj with five people and clubs in the back and the clunk disappeared.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Broken spring?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found solution.
fairly obvious now that I am thinking about it. The rear side mounts were rusted off and the noise came from the frame hitting the body, metal on metal. To fix for now i shimmed in a block of 2x4. Next will be to weld in new mounts.
Brown Atmosphere Light World Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2012 FJ Cruiser 4Wd Auto, Quicksand
64 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Are these the mounts where the top part of the bolts are under the rear seats?

I ask because my bolts were almost rusted through when I did my body lift many years ago. This was in a rust-free, low-mileage truck otherwise, so I'm wondering if there's any relation and if this should be an area more people check on their rigs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these the mounts where the top part of the bolts are under the rear seats?

I ask because my bolts were almost rusted through when I did my body lift many years ago. This was in a rust-free, low-mileage truck otherwise, so I'm wondering if there's any relation and if this should be an area more people check on their rigs.
These are basically by the back bumper, behind the rear wheels. I would say this should be an area people should look at if the are in an area where rust is more of a problem. I am in the midwest and the owner before me was too so rust is the main issue with my rig.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts