Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else in Aus is suffering from this? I have taken it back to the dealership where I bought the car from once already without success (couldn't find the leak) It rained again after the inspection and it still leaks. Its booked in again next Wednesday for another check up. Ive read that this was a common problem back in 2006 in the States its now 2011. Whats up with that TOYOTA!!! I happen to forward the links to this problem to the service team at Toyota there answer was 'you do realise this is in America'.. Hello! its the same car, same problem.. Hopefully they will change the seal as thats the only cure from what I have read. cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'DAY,
Yes it has happened once, this week to me.
Extremely heavy rain and it leaked onto the drivers seatbelt.
Hasn't happened before to me, checked all the treads here, on early leaks...
But i decided to wait n see, thought maybe i had not closed the door strongly enough...
And can't be bothered fighting Toy... they will duck shove it around and around, like all dealers / car manufacturers.
My fix if it happens again, will be to get some plasti-dip and try to seal around the top bracket to the rear door... and plug the holes in the plastic shroud .....
Good luck.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had a leak from the same area on my FJ. This was caused by incorrect fitment of the factory roof rack. The "tradesman" crossthreaded one of the bolts on the roof rack mount, this caused a major leak.

Toyota replaced the roof lining due to water damage, and repaired the mounting. All good now.

If you guys have racks fitted may pay to check/inspect the bolt threads for a correct seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Shamwow, was your roof lining visibly wet?

this is a pic of the first time it leaked, drenched seat belt too.

this is the second time it leaked, but not as bad.

On my way home from a mates place tonight the car started to vibrate as though the wheel nuts have been loosened off. I pulled over and checked the wheels nuts to see if they were loose, nope. I hopped back into the FJ and drove away, the vibrating wasn't there this time.. weird. I think I've bought a lemon.:mercy:

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'day,
The pictures are the same as my leak, but it has not happened again.
I was driving in extremely heavy rain, slowly.. And the rain was sheeting across the roof and down into my seat belt.
Sorry to hear about the vibration, are you running stock tires / rims .
Some guys in the US have experienced the same thing... Do a search
I have not had any vibration.....
Hope you can sort it out
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spider man,
Vibration could be handbrake left on and after driving off the 2nd time you have released. Done this myself once with good vibes running through the beast.

Buzz

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'day
Well it leaked again, slightly...
Not heavy rain, so going to order some plasti dip tonight and see if I can fix it
I'll let you all know... How I go
Cheers Baz

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'day Gaz,
Thanks for the pixs. where was it leaking into the cabin ? at the top of the door or in the roof itself ?
Mine is leaking only at the top of the door...
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
158 Posts
I haven't had any problems but if you look where water might come from, there is a good chance it comes through the roof, into the door latch, then out the seat belt.

Otherwise it would have to be getting through the door seals which is more unlikely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I haven't had any problems but if you look where water might come from, there is a good chance it comes through the roof, into the door latch, then out the seat belt.

Otherwise it would have to be getting through the door seals which is more unlikely.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts

G'day Gaz,

Thanks for the message, hmmm ok I'll check it out, but I think it is coming in thru the door seal... There seems to be a gap between the doors where the seal is not overlapping.
Thanks
Cheers
Baz:cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Shamwow, was your roof lining visibly wet?

this is a pic of the first time it leaked, drenched seat belt too.

this is the second time it leaked, but not as bad.

On my way home from a mates place tonight the car started to vibrate as though the wheel nuts have been loosened off. I pulled over and checked the wheels nuts to see if they were loose, nope. I hopped back into the FJ and drove away, the vibrating wasn't there this time.. weird. I think I've bought a lemon.:mercy:
The roof lining was visable wet directly above the seat belt/B pillar (suicide door)
Also the water was coming in around the seat belt as per your pics. I would be removing the roof rack & sealing the bolts with a thread sealant - Loctite 55 or simillar.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'day,
Update,
Yesterday and today, driving and parked in heavy rain / light rain.. and NO leaks.
I've taken to closing the doors hard, one might say, slamming the doors, and it appears to be watertight.
I was a soft door closer.... until now.... i will keep monitoring it, and forcing the habit of hard closing .... so we will see.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
9 Posts
G'day guys ... Likewise had a leak, heavy shower and the head lining on the drivers side completely saturated from front to back. Toyota revealed the genuine roof rack an it's been ok since (2 months now)

Cheers Leigh

·
Registered
4 Posts
yES, i HAVE TAKEN MY CAR BACK TO TOYOTA NOW 4 TIMES AND MY CAR IS THERE CURRENTLY AND STILL THEY DONT KNOW WHERE THIS IS LEAKING FROM. hAS YOURS BEEN FIXED?? WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts