Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if any of you feel the cushion from the driver's seat feels loose. My seat cushion has excessive play by moving it up and down with your hands. I first felt that when I brake to a stop (while seated) and felt a "clunk" on the seat, then I started to check and noticed the excessive play on the cushion because of the mechanism. I went to the dealer and the manager told me that "its normal wear due to seating"..... We compared my seat with a new FJ (the TT) and the play is minimum but without the "clunk" noise like mine's does.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
mine clucks or makes a click sound like it shifts. It does this when i take a turn and my body weight is moving in that direction. I dunno ?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
exactly.
The manager said: "well, you still are under warranty; If the "problem" persists bring it to the dealer and if we determine that it need to be replaced, we'll do it"....

my mental thought was "dont do tomorrow what you can do today"....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep, mine does it and from what I've heard they all do it. Apparently it is a design flaw. If anyone ever comes up with a quick fix short of replacing the seat, please let the forum know!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Might want to pull your carpet and check the seat mounting bolts. I just had one RIP out of the sheetmetal floor in my 4Runner. The steel is extremely thin.

This could account for your clunk noise or, you may also just have a loose bolt.

Worth looking at least.

I'm fixing my sheetmetal floor as I type this....just took a break for some ice tea.

Sean

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might want to pull your carpet and check the seat mounting bolts. I just had one RIP out of the sheetmetal floor in my 4Runner. The steel is extremely thin.

This could account for your clunk noise or, you may also just have a loose bolt.

Worth looking at least.

I'm fixing my sheetmetal floor as I type this....just took a break for some ice tea.

Sean
Doesn't come from the seat base per-sé, just comes from the cushion and its mechanism.

I wonder that if everybody claim this we can get a recall from this.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yep, mine does it and from what I've heard they all do it. Apparently it is a design flaw. If anyone ever comes up with a quick fix short of replacing the seat, please let the forum know!
Mine doesn't do it, I'd say the bolts that hold the seat to the tracks is loose and need to be tighten.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Mine has a track problem. It's like the two seat tracks are not exactly lined up. If I get in and slide the seat up the right track locks, but the left does not. If I then rock the seat forward, the left track will lock. If I don't, the left side moves back and forth when stopping, etc.. Ron

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Mine has a track problem. It's like the two seat tracks are not exactly lined up. If I get in and slide the seat up the right track locks, but the left does not. If I then rock the seat forward, the left track will lock. If I don't, the left side moves back and forth when stopping, etc.. Ron
Thats exactly the way might acts also. I just have gotten used to making sure its locked up after I adjust it. Kinda a pain but not a huge deal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wonder if any of you feel the cushion from the driver's seat feels loose. My seat cushion has excessive play by moving it up and down with your hands. I first felt that when I brake to a stop (while seated) and felt a "clunk" on the seat, then I started to check and noticed the excessive play on the cushion because of the mechanism. I went to the dealer and the manager told me that "its normal wear due to seating"..... We compared my seat with a new FJ (the TT) and the play is minimum but without the "clunk" noise like mine's does.
I have it too...I got under my seat and found that there is some play in the front height adjustment mechanism. The teeth on the gears at each end of the metal rod don't line up snug enough to hold the seat cushion firmly in place. When you grab the front lip of the seat cushion and wiggle it a bit, you can see the plastic crank on the outside of your seat move with it.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I'm getting a noticeable clunk from my driver's seat as well, mostly when turning, going over bumps, and getting out of the seat. Looks like I'll be taking my seat out and doing some investigative work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i am on my 3rd compleate seat replacement
there is a design flaw in the seat hight adjustment and it breaks letting the seat move
it is covered under the seat sinking syndrome T. S. B.
if you are under warrentee take it to the dealer and tell them the seat hight adjustment keeps sinking to the bottom and they should replace it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts