Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Friday I will be driving from Burlington VT (where I go to college) to Denver Colorado for winter break I'm splitting the drive up into 3 days, the first night will be in Toledo Ohio and the second in Omaha Nebraska. I will be taking I-80 most of the way, it seems to be the most direct route to go. I am driving this by myself, does anyone find 13 hour of driving a day in the FJ to be crazy? I only am planning on about 15mpg so I know I will have to stop for fuel frequently
My FJ has:
3" ome heavy duty all the way around
Camburg UCA
285/70/17 duratracks
6mt with new clutch less than 1K ago (on a 2011 with 23K... but thats another story )
flowmaster 50
more tools than I will ever need ( about 150lbs )
Winch and straps and chains
chains for the front if i need them.

I plan on bringing:
lots of winter clothing (carhartt overalls and jackets)
case of water
plenty of snacks
good first aid kit

Can anyone offer any tips for the drive? or anything else I should bring?

Thanks!
-Matt

on another note, I will be traveling with my handgun in a locked container in the back of the truck. The gun will be unloaded. Any states I need to worry about other than NY?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Red bull.... Lots of red bull!!!

But if you do find your self getting sleep just pull over and sleep for a few hours then get back on the road! I went offroading one time and I was behind the wheel for 14 hours that day and on my way home I got pulled over for suspected DUI cause I was so tired I was "bouncing around in my lane". So I say go for it but if you get tired pull over and sleep!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Good playlist of tunes
Good sunglasses
Charger for cell phone (511 in most states gets you road and travel)
Remember to take a break and stretch, walk around etc (easy when you fill up)
Try to find things along the way to see and learn about

You should have no problems with the time and distance you've described. Enjoy and have fun.

Illinois, I think it has to be disassembled.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ All great tips. If you get tired pull over it is not worth the risk of falling asleep. I prefer to wake up early so that you can drive in as much daylight as possible. Personally I only stop when necessary for gas and take a bathroom break then, but you may be wise to take a few more breaks if that is not your style. I have a ten hour drive back from school and I normally only stop once.

Not sure if you have bluetooth in your car but a hands free headset might be a good investment. If you get bored you can call and talk to friends and family and it is way more mentally engaging than listening to music. Also plan to put as much gas in during your drive through Iowa as possible because it will be the cheapest of your whole drive. Also pay attention as their midgrade gas is cheaper than the regular.

·
Admin
14,281 Posts
X2 on sleeping when you need it.... know your limits and don't push them. If you're rubber-necking it, pull over and sleep.
Emergency candles are always a handy thing to have in a vehicle. They burn slow and don't give off much smoke. A single candle can give you enough warmth to keep you alive.
A blanket is good too even though you have winter clothes.
Have fun, enjoy the drive!
:cheers:

·
Registered
499 Posts
This past summer went down to Mexico, on the way back I decided I wasn't gonna stop, it was about 19 hours, and the only stops were for gas and about a 20 min lunch. I think I did average about 15 mpg, but the good thing about the FJ mpg is that you get to stop often, and for me it was more than enough to stretch and walk around a bit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips, Red bull will be a must! How is I-80 in the winter? any passes that get bad frequently? I will be spending a lot of time on I-70 in Colorado on my way to the mountains and I already know that can get quite nasty.

Any places near Denver to do some winter wheeling? before the big snow falls?

Planning on driving only during daylight to reduce the risk of getting too tired.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
2000 miles in 3 days is doable. This past summer, I had to drive my 1997 lifted 4runner 2000 miles in two days, which I did, but it was brutal...had to get there for a dying family member on short notice. She passed four days later.

I agree on good tunes, caffeine, and take breaks even if you feel like you don't need one. I stopped every 150 miles whether I needed to or not, even if only for 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am preparing for my sixth trip from Tucson to above Houston and back - 2400 miles in 5 days (one day of loading a truck and trailer). It has been a lot easier with this:

Seeing in the Dark: Timothy Ferris: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I am on my second listen.

My take-along list:
variety of music
at least one book on CD
gallon of drinking water
blanket (sleeping at Walmart)
extra reading glasses
sun glasses
change of clothes, including junk ones for tire changing, etc.
aspirin and basic toiletries
GPS
baby butt wipes
cell phone and charger
basic tools
good spare tire
two credit cards
wad of cash
handgun
sense of wonder for our great country

Matt B

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
Headlamp and satellite radio in addition to list above

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
That's a peice of cake! When I go on an epic road trip I make sure the basic stuff is dialed (oil, tire pressure + spare, cool cd's, clean air filter) On my "hella's 6-7k Cruises I have a massage thing plugged in the back that I can power up when the dreaded "FJ-Leg" shows up.
Also, when on the road I try to fill back up when I am at 1/2 tank.

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
hehe "FJ Leg" or "FJ dead leg syndrome" as I call it sucks. I've found that something soft across the seat such as a fleece blanket helps.

As mentioned above, if you start nodding off, get off the road. I often stop and take naps at rest areas.

I can get from here to Kanorado, KS (967 miles) in one day without getting too crazy.

I used to drink alot of soda on the road but now find that I prefer to just get coffee and not add alot of sugar to it. I stay away from energy drinks because they jack with my blood pressure.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good playlist of tunes
Good sunglasses
Charger for cell phone (511 in most states gets you road and travel)
Remember to take a break and stretch, walk around etc (easy when you fill up)
Try to find things along the way to see and learn about

You should have no problems with the time and distance you've described. Enjoy and have fun.

Illinois, I think it has to be disassembled.
X2.

I drove from Long Beach CA to Groton, CT in three days (3000+ miles).

Since it is winter... I would definitely mind your speeds on the winter roads especially if you are not familiar with the area. I used my phone as navigation as well as my Garmin GPS. Just in case it threw me off course. One thing I would recommend is check out some good eating places. I went looked up " Diners, Drive ins and dives" on my route and had some tasty food on my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
chewing tobacco.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble with I80, it does close in Nebraska but that is in blizzard conditions, not any forecasted for the next couple of weeks.

If you need chains with your FWD locked in, it is time to call it a day.

Good luck and remember to turn on I76 in Western NE to get to Denver the easiest.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
chewing tobacco.

regaurdless :rocker:

When I was shopping for an axe the salesman asked me why I needed it. I told him, "In case a bear got between me and my Copehagen supply".

Have a great Cruise OP :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all! Ill be using my garmin gps (mounted to left of gauges) and my Ipad mini (on ram mount ) for navigation. I also have pandora on my ipad and satellite radio so plenty of choice there :)

What tire pressure should I run with my Duratracs ? I have been running 50ish and it wanders a bit on the highway.

Also I wont be able to get my 25k service taken care of before I leave, what does 25k entail? I greased up my UBJ's and drive shafts last week. Checked oil and it looks great.

-Matt

·
Admin
14,281 Posts
50 psi? That's too high (I have duratracs too)
I don't go above 40 myself.... and typically closer to 36.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.