Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so heres the real question. I want to get my 3" OME lift and 33" tires before driving back. Reason, craigslist out here (SF) is 100x what it is in NC and I have two buyers at $600 for my stock rims and tires. It would be nice to re-coop that $$.
So my question is, how bad would it be to drive 2700 miles, most of which will be on hwy 40 at 80mph with no traffic, on tires similar in tread to the ones I am posting here? Also, how will the ride be effected, and will I be driven nuts by the sound of these tires for 4 days?
Thanks in advance guys, this is new ground for me,
Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Those will probably be louder but you can always turn up the radio. :)

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Well Mickeys will wear out fast on the road so just know that first. Second if the trip bothers you, remember you will be driving on them everyday so either you get used to them or like he said^^^ turn up the radio.

Used to drive over 200-500 miles a day some times on my KM2's and can say that with now 35,500 miles on my 2010, they only get louder with wear, so again if its looks like your doing alot of highway mileage, you may want an A/T instead.

Im now rolling on Yokohama Geolandar M/T which are softer than hot butter but reveiws have them wearing well, so well see. They are very loud now but not as bad as a Nitto Mud Grappler.

Nive color choice!:rocker:

Just my .02

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Definitely a little louder than stock but as mentioned already just turn up the radio. You will also lose a couple MPG's....bigger, heavier tires with an aggressive tread pattern will do that. Have a fun ride home. :roller:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I have to disagree with the mickeys wearing fast. I'm on my second set since 2006 and as offroad tires go I think these are some of the longest lasting.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I drive about 2500 miles round trip 2wce a year to visit family on what's listed in signature...

As far as how bad the wear on the tread will be, that all depends on your balancing and alignment after the lift and mounting! And compared to stock tires, YES, you will hear that wonderful hum that most of us are well used to hearing now from our tires!

Me personally, I keep a 2nd set of rims and tires for "highway driving" to keep the most tread on my MTs as possible. A set of used street tires will usually cost only as much as one new MT! I run a sizes or 2 smaller than my MTs as well to save on gas and wear and tear on the truck (brakes, bushings, ball joints, ect.) as the larger thicker tires can shake pretty bad at +65mph, no matter how well balanced! And my used tires will last about 2 years... or 100,000 miles (not bad for $200)

So if I were you I would go for it! Make sure you get a good alignment but wait on your ATs till after you get back home, and spend $200 now on a set of tires you can trash when you get home, especially at those speeds! and don't forget to get some Dyna Beads for those new tires too ;)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Get the lift and do the tires. I'm not a fan of Mickey's, but that's just me. The volume should not be too bad, but I've run nothing but MTs for the past 10 years. Take lots of Pixs and enjoy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
you got that right about craigslist here! it sucks! and welcome back to NC :bigthumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Mickeys will wear out fast on the road so just know that first. Second if the trip bothers you, remember you will be driving on them everyday so either you get used to them or like he said^^^ turn up the radio.

Used to drive over 200-500 miles a day some times on my KM2's and can say that with now 35,500 miles on my 2010, they only get louder with wear, so again if its looks like your doing alot of highway mileage, you may want an A/T instead.

Im now rolling on Yokohama Geolandar M/T which are softer than hot butter but reveiws have them wearing well, so well see. They are very loud now but not as bad as a Nitto Mud Grappler.

Nive color choice!:rocker:

Just my .02

:cheers:
I'm thinking about getting 33" Nitto Trails. I'm hoping a little less aggressive than the muds, but not as 'road' as the Terra's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome all. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be getting the alignment done. If I go with the Rockstar rims, I am also considering 1.25 Wheel Spacers since they are a 5" offset. Thoughts on that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts