Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is everyone running the wires for lights when they install them up on the roof?:thinkerg:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Where is everyone running the wires for lights when they install them up on the roof?:thinkerg:

I'm using factory stuff. The switch, relay and fuse are installed. Just waiting for warmer weather so I can work outside when I pull the headliner down.

If you will be installing non factory lights up there I think you could just splice into the factory harness in the drivers windshield post. Yes you would be pulling the headliner down and drilling a hole.

Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm using factory stuff. The switch, relay and fuse are installed. Just waiting for warmer weather so I can work outside when I pull the headliner down.

If you will be installing non factory lights up ther I think you could just splice into the factory harness in the drivers windshield post. Yes you would be pulling the headliner down and drilling a hole.

Just my thoughts.
This is my method as well. The factory airdam and light bar does this as well. But if you are not using the Toyota stuff here is a nifty item I got from West Marine:

A hole is drilled in the roof and the item on the left dropped in place. It is sealed with a gasket to prevent water intrusion and a cap can be used to plug it when not in use. The recepticle sticks up less than 1/8'" above the roof line. The part on the right is attached to the lights and plugs in when the lightbar is mounted in place. The plug has an o-ring to keep water out of the electricals when in use.

I used this sytem because I planned on having my lightbar be quickly removable for times when I don't want them up top, like road trips and garage time.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I also went thru the roof and used a special plug that radio shack carries it adjusts around the wires and seals well. I used clear RTV and a wire loom to be sure. I used
12ga wire that can handle alot of watts.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I used this sytem because I planned on having my lightbar be quickly removable for times when I don't want them up top, like road trips and garage time.
The only problem I see with this system is you are limited to two independent circuits. If you are doing a more extensive roof light syste, side lights, rear lights, two sets of front lights, etc., this 3 wire plug will not be sufficient.

What is the current rating of that receptacle ??

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
It's true, you can only get two circuits on a three pin plug, but it works well for a simple forward facing offroad light system. The packaging does not give a current rating, but it was designed for use with large trolling motors and DOES say that you can use wire as large as 8 gauge, so that is substantial enough for a light bar in the front for sure.

One additional facet I should mention, it pushes in and twists to lock in place. Nice.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts