Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I'm having problems driving on the sand in Hawaii (Oahu west side).
I own a 2007 Toyota fj cruiser auto 4wd with a 6in lift.
I installed a 60lb winch on a fabricated bumper(another 60lbs). I removed my spare tire to lessened the weight but I also have about 120lbs of equipment (air compressor, hi lift...). Also a roof rack with awning, 2 bar lights. I aired down to 10psi, but I still get bogged down. Is my rig a bit heavy???
Any advice or suggestions? Thanks..

Btw, I have the Goodyear wrangler m/t 305x70x16, mt wheels.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
5,659 Posts
It seems that I'm having problems driving on the sand in Hawaii (Oahu west side).
I own a 2007 Toyota fj cruiser auto 4wd with a 6in lift.
I installed a 60lb winch on a fabricated bumper(another 60lbs). I removed my spare tire to lessened the weight but I also have about 120lbs of equipment (air compressor, hi lift...). Also a roof rack with awning, 2 bar lights. I aired down to 10psi, but I still get bogged down. Is my rig a bit heavy???
Any advice or suggestions? Thanks..

Btw, I have the Goodyear wrangler m/t 305x70x16, mt wheels.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
All sand is not created equal.
I started a thread on driving FJs in sand because I've done it once or twice.

My observations from what you've written:

1) Tire pressure is fine
2) MTs suck in sand - they're too stiff. AT are far, far better and P rated (not LT rated) ATs are best. Yoko Geolandar and Cooper AT3 (P rated) are the undisputed champions of sand.
3) Less weight is better, but your load doesn't seem extreme.
4) Make sure that your traction control is truly off. Hold the TRC button down for 5 seconds or so until both the VSC & TRC lights illuminate on the dash.
5) Do the no nannies & difflock anytime mods in my signature
6) Momentum is your friend, and gravity will always win.
7) 4L is only for when you're in recovery mode - too much torque otherwise.

Some sand is just nasty spiteful stuff. If it is coarse and sugary (which I suspect is the case), then you need every bit of help you can get, and experience is key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts