Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're heading out in the Boulder area on Monday morning.

Eventually, we'll be in the area of Nat. Forest roads immediately South of the SouthWestern-most portion of the Switzerland Trail. We want to do something pretty easy, and I think this will give us what we're looking for.

As with any trail run I lead in the winter, if it's too much to get through for the group we're with, we'll just turn back. So, don't worry about getting stuck. At worst, only the first rig (mine) will get stuck and someone else will pull them (me) out ...and then we'll try again till we get through, unless we all decide it's too much and not worth going on in that direction.

We can always just sit and drink lattes together in Nederland and talk about the good times if it gets too deep ........but from being up in that area as recently as late this past week, I think it's still doable for this kind of trail run.

The part we haven't figured out yet is whether we're gonna take the Switzerland Trail all the way from Sugarloaf to the Peak to Peak, or just go up Boulder Canyon to Ned. and go North from there to get on the ST from that direction.

Either way, we will probably be hooking up with the Forest roads on that section of the ST around here, and working our way through those raods to come out here.

If we take the ST Westward from Sugarloaf, we'll probably enter this area of the Forest roads an hour to an hour and a half later (depending on how many of the non-thru offshoots we scout out along the way). If we take Boulder Canyon to get up there, we'll get there about 45 minutes after leaving Boulder.

The original thought on this one was just an easy ride. So, we won't be doing a real, long snow-bashing event this time....just something simple (hopefully ha ha ha).

Anyway, we'll be meeting up at the Boulder Home Depot at 9 o'clock, and (unless I hear from someone else before then) heading out from there shortly after that.

Anyone else want to join in on this snow run?

Meeting place: Boulder Home Depot
Meeting time: 9:00 AM
Rolling out: shortly after 9:00

Who's In
ROBPOLAK
OCR14a

Possibly
FJC Boulder (maybe hooking up in Ned. area)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Man I wish I lived closer. You guys seem to have a great, active group up there. Have fun!:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I wish I lived closer. You guys seem to have a great, active group up there. Have fun!:cheers:
Ya well, I suppose it probably gets a bit monotonous for some folks when we keep runnin the same trail (or small set of trails) all winter long, but oh well. You're right to miss this place when you leave it ;)

Again, it was good to get to meet you and hang out for a bit. Let us know whenever you're back in the area.

By the way, are you going to spend any extra time up here for the Summit, or just the official dates?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm scheduled to work this Mon up at Eldora. If I don't get any lessons to teach I could very easily come over and meet you guys. I would only be 15-20min away from the trailhead. Let's be in touch (we have each others #) and maybe I can make it. I have cell service up at Eldora, if you're not leaving till atleast 9 from Boulder by the time you get up to Nederland I would know if I'm getting a lesson or not. Timing wise I could meet about the time you're getting to the trailhead. 'L' would be with me, so it would be cool if things work out for us to meet up with you guys, let me know...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ya well, I suppose it probably gets a bit monotonous for some folks when we keep runnin the same trail (or small set of trails) all winter long, but oh well. You're right to miss this place when you leave it ;)

Again, it was good to get to meet you and hang out for a bit. Let us know whenever you're back in the area.

By the way, are you going to spend any extra time up here for the Summit, or just the official dates?
I'm hoping to spend about a week up there. I will probably be in the Denver/Boulder area for a few days after the Summit.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm scheduled to work this Mon up at Eldora. If I don't get any lessons to teach I could very easily come over and meet you guys. I would only be 15-20min away from the trailhead. Let's be in touch (we have each others #) and maybe I can make it. I have cell service up at Eldora, if you're not leaving till atleast 9 from Boulder by the time you get up to Nederland I would know if I'm getting a lesson or not. Timing wise I could meet about the time you're getting to the trailhead. 'L' would be with me, so it would be cool if things work out for us to meet up with you guys, let me know...
OK, cool. So, should I call you as we're heading out from Boulder, or what?

INTERJECTION/INTERVENTION - actually, knowing me, I could easily space it off....you should call me :thinkerg:

We haven't firmed it up yet, but we'll probably be meeting at Boulder Home Depot at 9:00 or so, and heading up shortly after that.

The part we haven't figured out yet is whether we're gonna take the Switzerland Trail all the way from Sugarloaf to the Peak to Peak, or just go up Boulder Canyon to Ned. and go North from there to get on the ST from that direction.

Either way, we will probably be hooking up with the Forest roads on that section of the ST around here, and working our way through those raods to come out here.

If we take the ST Westward from Sugarloaf, we'll probably enter this area of the Forest roads an hour to an hour and a half later (depending on how many of the non-thru offshoots we scout out along the way). If we take Boulder Canyon to get up there, we'll get there about 45 minutes after leaving Boulder.

The original thought on this one was just an easy ride. So, we won't be doing a real, long snow-bashing event this time....just something simple (hopefully ha ha ha).

I'm hoping to spend about a week up there. I will probably be in the Denver/Boulder area for a few days after the Summit.
Sweet! Hopefully we can do something (even just hang out for lunch or something if that's all) before you head out.

i'll be attending hahaha
:clap:

So, meet at 9:00 at Home Depot?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeup sounds like a deal.......so also I gotta be out and back in boulder around 12/1 :simmadown: because its my woman's birthday and that mean going to Denver :lol: but I'm pumped to finally get back out :cheers:
alrighty then.....that all works perfectly for us.....I told JammerGirl it would just be for a few hours. So, sounds like we're on.

For everyone else (FJC Boulder is special case)...
if you want to hook up for this run, we'll be meeting in the parking lot for the Home Depot in Boulder at 9:00 tomorrow morning, and since we don't have anyone else going yet, we'll probably just take off soon after that.

If you want to meet up though, post up here. I will check it before we head out the door in the morning.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will call you from Eldora about 8:40 to touch base, will not know if 'L' and I can make it till after 8:45am lineup with ski school.
OK, cool.
We're out the door now.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was cool.
There's definitely getting to be a lot of snow in the Western end of the Southern section. We went pretty far, and were going through some moderately deep stuff, but decided to turn around when we got to the usually tough segment.

This time, we were cutting into the top foot where there was anywhere from 1-2.5 feet of snow (rolling through that stuff fairly easily). Occasionally, we probably cut through 3' drifts, but not much was that deep yet for the distance we got through.

Eventually, we were really churning through the deeper stuff (cutting at least the top 1.5' and rolling on top of at least another foot, and we saw a few drifts ahead that were probably three footers, but with a constant 2' depth leading up to them and all the way through the section.

If we would have been on a bashing mission for the day, we could have done it, but even without getting stuck and needing to dig out, it would have taken us at least another hour just to make it to the Peak to Peak by staying on the ST.

Since FJC Boulder called and let us know he wasn't going to be able to hook up on top, we just turned back, played around a bit more on some offshoots, and headed back down to Boulder.

Thanks, ROB. Nice time up there with you and 'T', and nice to meet your gf too. Hope you guys have fun. ;)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...time to start redrawing my plans for the trucks mods list :rofl:
indeed :mecry:

So, are you going to sell off anything you've done already, or just keep it like it is, plus the lights, etc?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to keep everything thats been done....just no more ideas of lift and such
ok, cool
let me know when you want to work on stuff that still needs to be done.....it's not been very welcoming out there to work in the garage for a while, but i'm sure we'll have some better days in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
ok, cool
let me know when you want to work on stuff that still needs to be done.....it's not been very welcoming out there to work in the garage for a while, but i'm sure we'll have some better days in the near future.
When ever's best for you...for now all I have to do is put on outrider link armor and attempt to bangout/ straighten out that piece....how long would that take?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When ever's best for you...for now all I have to do is put on outrider link armor and attempt to bangout/ straighten out that piece....how long would that take?
So, I forget, exactly what is it that you have to put on from Digger (Outrider Offroad)?

If it's the rear shock mount armor, it will take a single wrench and about 1.5 minutes per side. However, if it's the front lower link armor (or back, but not as familiar with the back ones), we will need a ratchet strap (thinking of getting one sometime soon), at least two wrenches, and probably 10 minutes per side (it seemed like longer when Digger did mine, but that may have been because we were doing more conversation than work at certain portions of the event).

As for the thing that needs to be hammered out, I can't recall what that is. What are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
the part i want to hammer out is the part that the lower link slides in because its scratching up and almost like digging out the control arm joint....and how big of a strap do i need to buy

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the part i want to hammer out is the part that the lower link slides in because its scratching up and almost like digging out the control arm joint....
I'll have to see it I guess. Let's meet up some day here in Boulder while I'm here for work.

...and how big of a strap do i need to buy
The one he had was probably 1.5-2" wide (not sure on thickness or rating, etc). Not sure how long, but he used about 6-8' worth of it for how he used it.....basically to keep forward pressure on the rear end while the lower link is out of place.....and to help with getting it all lined back up again when putting it all back together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts