Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That thing is a beast....

It rides incredibly well, and it really doesn't feel that underpowered. The interior wasn't the crappy GM interior I was expecting, actually it was very nice and clean....

I was pretty deadset on getting a FJ cruiser but the H3 is definitely an option as well. If the 4x4 FJ that I want comes out to more than 27k I am DEFINITELY getting the H3. I'd recommend you guys to go test drive it to before you commit.

I'd defintiely give reliability edge to Toyota, but there is just something real satisfying about sitting in that hummer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Time will give you the price but is seems your base Hummer 3 is 30K and comparable setup your hummer would be in the 35K range. I looked and the whole $600 roof "off road" lights were a bit over priced. The whole chromed out wheel option was a bit of a turn off in terms of core off road need. I understand they are going after a different market with a high emphasis on "Blingy dingy thingies" but that’s my concern. If your hummer breaks down on your daily commute to work who cares, but out somewhere where you can only tell the AAA guy you last saw a road sometime about a week ago it’s a different story. It’s too early for H3 reliability reports so you have to look at the reputation and history of the company…. Hmm.

So to compare go with H3 take a gamble on reliability, get less power, and pay more.

Chose Toyota option and get a fair shot a very reliable vehicle, more power, and pay less, especially in the long run.

I'll choose options F and J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
One more thing, the green weenies don't deface Toyota as of yet thanks to Toyota appeasing that crowd with their efficient block of cheese car. Thanks Toyota now give us FJ info or umm we will……umm keep waiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
That thing is a beast....

It rides incredibly well, and it really doesn't feel that underpowered. The interior wasn't the crappy GM interior I was expecting, actually it was very nice and clean....

I was pretty deadset on getting a FJ cruiser but the H3 is definitely an option as well. If the 4x4 FJ that I want comes out to more than 27k I am DEFINITELY getting the H3. I'd recommend you guys to go test drive it to before you commit.

I'd defintiely give reliability edge to Toyota, but there is just something real satisfying about sitting in that hummer.

Why not just buy a Envoy?
Same thing but cheaper.

And not quite as ugly..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Dude are u trippn'. That thing is a piece. I a have friend who has already had to take his in for tranny issues. No thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Reliable ... who needs it. But ohhh the seats, man let me tell you about them seats. Their umm soft, cushy, adjustable. The sitting is just amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
praetorian said:
First post? To tell us how great an H3 is?

_shrug_

Thanks for coming out, kid.

Cheers,
prat

Haha..I expected a harsh reaction, however, I have been lurking these forums for a good while.
I have read every bit of news and was deadset on wanting a FJ. I already OWN a 99 4Runner.
I'm the biggest Toyota fan there is....

As a first post, I wanted to talk about the h3 because I was so surprised at how much I liked it.
I guess the satisfying thing was the interior build quality I was not expecting....

Another thing is, you guys are already bashing me, but I drove one around at least. I haven't made any blanket statements about the FJ except the pricing issue. I gave my opinion on the h3 AFTER I had drove it.

I know all you guys are die hard toyota fans, I just recommended test driving all the options before purchasing...

So, while I know you guys are still gonna be real cold to this thought, I just wanted to relay my experience. I love my 4runner and toyota, and the FJ looks very promising, but my first opinion of the h3 was I liked it very much.

I might like the FJ even more when I test drive it who knows...but I can't make an opinion or bash anyone else's before I actually do that...

Honestly, maybe it just felt nice sitting in a new SUV lol. I've been waiting for this FJ just as long as you guys ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Total,

I, for one, agree with you. Before buying any new auto, I drive everything and anything that is similar. It gives me a good basis for comparison and helps me make the decision. I have already driven the H2 (not a fan) and will drive the H3 before my FJ comes in. I will probably still buy the FJ but my bases will be covered.

For everything aside from the driving expereince I am not a fan of the H3. The crawl ratios are INCREDIBLE but it is overly heavy and/or under powered and comes from a builder with a less then good reputation for quality.

Merry Christmas,
Granger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Total,

Good job on the review. Maybe until we have FJ's to compare with we are at a disadvantage to current vehicles on the market, i.e. defensive. Once the FJ wins a Baja 1000 or something like a Motor Trend SUV of year award we feel like we gotta stick up for this car until it can defend itself. Hmm that sounds weird but anyways thanks for the review and I'll expect a full side by side review H3 vs. FJ in about month or two. :)

On a side note if Toyota tries to sell two basic roof lights for $600 or roof markers for $700 I would question the overall pricing? What do you think about fair pricing on the H3? Fair or Rip off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
i'm involved with toyota, gmc, ford and dodge products on a daily basis. there is a reason that i deliver toyota's at a ratio of about 20:1. any of you thinking about straying, think twice. at first blush, the domestics are much improved to sit in and look at. there have, without a doubt, been some inroads made on quality. and yes, some do get the blood pumping a bit. but, after the newness wears off, which is the vehicle to own for the long haul? there is but one answer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
Haha..I expected a harsh reaction, however, I have been lurking these forums for a good while.

As a first post, I wanted to talk about the h3 because I was so surprised at how much I liked it.

Another thing is, you guys are already bashing me, but I drove one around at least. I haven't made any blanket statements about the FJ except the pricing issue. I gave my opinion on the h3 AFTER I had drove it.
Fair enough.

totaleclipse02 said:
I know all you guys are die hard toyota fans, I just recommended test driving all the options before purchasing...
Perfectly reasonable.

totaleclipse02 said:
So, while I know you guys are still gonna be real cold to this thought, I just wanted to relay my experience. I love my 4runner and toyota, and the FJ looks very promising, but my first opinion of the h3 was I liked it very much.
Surprising, but plausible.

totaleclipse02 said:
I might like the FJ even more when I test drive it who knows...but I can't make an opinion or bash anyone else's before I actually do that...
You must be unfamiliar with how the internet works...

Cheers,
prat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
praetorian said:
Cheers,
prat
My friend,

I honestly cannot wait until I can test drive that six speed....It's so hard to speculate on what it will and will not be without actually seeing and driving around a production version. Of course I'm a toyota man, otherwise I wouldn't be on this site :D

Toyota always exceeds all expectations, I'm really hoping they pull out all the stops, because it will have some pretty good competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
granger said:
Total,

The crawl ratios are INCREDIBLE but it is overly heavy and/or under powered and comes from a builder with a less then good reputation for quality.

Granger
You have to look at a manufacturers past history. After driving and thoroughly inspecting my father-in-laws new 2006 Hummer H3, I do agree that GM has drastically improved things like fit and finish, paint quality, body panel tolerances, seat stitching, etc. But how will it hold up after you finish making your last H3 payment in 2010-11? Judging from past history, it does not look encouraging. That's where I personally have an issue buying the H3. It is still to early in the game to see if the improvements are of Japanese caliber or not. Check out the typical Toyota body panel fit on this prototype FJC. It's outstanding...




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Auto Spies take on the 10 worst cars of 2005:

If you didn't see they Spies choices for the worst cars of 2005, here they are again:

10. Buick Lucerne-Kissing your sister is a 'sizzling' experience compared to this exercise in boredom.
9. Jeep Cherokee- After seeing all those gorgeous groundbreaking concepts at the auto shows teasing us with their design expertise, HOW could they have decided on this, as the final design? The front end could be one of the worst in the business! Bring on the Nitro and BLOW this thing up!
8. Ford Five Hundred- Yuck! Let’s hope it only lasts 500 days on the market!
7. Mitsubishi Galant- The WORST car I’ve ever test driven…more flex than Suzanne Sommer's thigh-master
6. Chevy Impala- Back to the drawing board for the hundredth time! Could it have LESS personality? What an insult to previous proud Impala designs.
5. Cadillac XLR- Or should we call it the Allante II? This thing is deadsville in the marketplace. Looks like a door stop with dual nightlights on it!
4. Acura RL- Feels like the whole car's drive system has been shot with Novocaine. The most over priced car on the mainstream market.
3. Honda Ridgeline- With national leases already at $199 per month, this thing (maybe they should have called it, the Honda THING) is sinking fast! Thank GOD!
2. Hummer H3- The Hummer thing is just SOOOOO over. And we predict there is no comeback in sight. Even Steve Jobs couldn’t figure out how to bring this brand back! Sorry Liz...
1. Jeep Commander- Whatever over paid slacker at DCX green lighted this piece of trash, should be removed from his or her command! The only thing missing is the ‘Body designed by YUGO’ on the side panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
mappelman said:
Auto Spies take on the 10 worst cars of 2005:

If you didn't see they Spies choices for the worst cars of 2005, here they are again:

10. Buick Lucerne-Kissing your sister is a 'sizzling' experience compared to this exercise in boredom.
9. Jeep Cherokee- After seeing all those gorgeous groundbreaking concepts at the auto shows teasing us with their design expertise, HOW could they have decided on this, as the final design? The front end could be one of the worst in the business! Bring on the Nitro and BLOW this thing up!
8. Ford Five Hundred- Yuck! Let’s hope it only lasts 500 days on the market!
7. Mitsubishi Galant- The WORST car I’ve ever test driven…more flex than Suzanne Sommer's thigh-master
6. Chevy Impala- Back to the drawing board for the hundredth time! Could it have LESS personality? What an insult to previous proud Impala designs.
5. Cadillac XLR- Or should we call it the Allante II? This thing is deadsville in the marketplace. Looks like a door stop with dual nightlights on it!
4. Acura RL- Feels like the whole car's drive system has been shot with Novocaine. The most over priced car on the mainstream market.
3. Honda Ridgeline- With national leases already at $199 per month, this thing (maybe they should have called it, the Honda THING) is sinking fast! Thank GOD!
2. Hummer H3- The Hummer thing is just SOOOOO over. And we predict there is no comeback in sight. Even Steve Jobs couldn’t figure out how to bring this brand back! Sorry Liz...
1. Jeep Commander- Whatever over paid slacker at DCX green lighted this piece of trash, should be removed from his or her command! The only thing missing is the ‘Body designed by YUGO’ on the side panel.
I would say that list is a lil biased. The Ridgeline won the Motortrend truck of the year......

After riding in in the h3, I checked Edmunds and apparently Edmunds gave it a pretty favorable review as well...

You gotta be careful with those type of lists. Like I reiterated....you should go and formulate your own opinion instead of blindly reading what journalists have to say. Everyone has their own style and things they look for. As for myself, I like interior quality, but that not might not even be a factor for some of you true off road guys.

If the FJ ends up being awesome, it doesn't mean the h3 can't be good as well. It's so natural for people to have to try to put other things down when it's in direct competition with what they are favored toward...but in this situation we are the winners because there are so many options!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
I would say that list is a lil biased. The Ridgeline won the Motortrend truck of the year......

After riding in in the h3, I checked Edmunds and apparently Edmunds gave it a pretty favorable review as well...

You gotta be careful with those type of lists. Like I reiterated....you should go and formulate your own opinion instead of blindly reading what journalists have to say.

Hmm you state two editor reviews and then say" formulate your own opinion instead of blindly reading what journalists have to say" Gotta love the consistency. But I get what you’re saying some of those editors have been so spoiled and seen some cars we can only dream about, and then everything is benchmarked against it.

Who cares at this point, someone needs to call Toyota and tell them it’s the 26th in half the country.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top