Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a block of dry ice on my fishing trip to keep the drinks cold and bait frozen and it occurred to me, has anyone attempted or thought about throwing a few block of dry ice in your aFe air box?

Cold air and a little moister = Power :thinkerg:

·
Registered
226 Posts
well ummmm no it would melt so fast with a hot engine that you would never even know it is there. and if you are thinking like drag racers and how they use it on their intakes, it is just to lower the intake mainfold temp between pulls not to really keep it cold for very long

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bought a block of dry ice on my fishing trip to keep the drinks cold and bait frozen and it occurred to me, has anyone attempted or thought about throwing a few block of dry ice in your aFe air box?

Cold air and a little moister = Power :thinkerg:
Well since 'dry ice' is frozen carbon dioxide you would be reducing the percentage of oxygen flowing into the engine and I would expect a power reduction. I don't think that you could pack enough dry ice around the intake plumbing to make a noticeable difference in temp. There just isn't enough surface area to allow for a fast enough heat transfer. That's why radiators and intercoolers have finned tubes which greatly increases (by orders of magnitude) the area for heat transfer as well as making sure that there is not a 'least resistance path' that the air could take without coming into contact with the colder surface.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Interesting, never thought about doing that.:simmadown:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard that you can use dry ice to pull dings out. True?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might want to rethink this one. CO2 doesn't promote combustion, as in CO2 extinguishers. Used a CO2 extinguisher to stop a high revving engine at a bad wreck once, shot into the intake, stopped it right now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can put it on top of your TB to cool the intake down. Putting it in the filter box would make the engine suck in more CO2. Actually putting dry ice on top of the TB might lower the temp too much. Maybe cracking it? Put that idea away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Submerge an intercooler in icewater and, whamo! Instant frozen air intake. The've been doing it for ages with racecars. Doesn't last long, though. Intakes get hot quickly with high revs... Good for 1/4 mile!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dry ice in the intake box wont work. Back in the day, I put a fuel line chiller on all my trucks. This actually did 2 things, it cooled the fuel to prevent vapor lock and by cooling made the fuel more dense. I could tell when I had the fuel cooled, but it would only last about an hour.

I would get a 8 ft coil of copper line and wind it around a small coffee can. Next I would form the excess tubing in a manner that both ends were sticking out of the top of the can. Once I mounted the big can securely, I spliced my fuel line into the copper tubing. I insulated the outside of the big can with expansion foam. I filled it with ice or dry ice whenever needed it

Ahhh, the good old days...lol

Digger

·
Registered
493 Posts
CO2 will make your engine....quit running. Now if you want a cold power adder, try liquid oxygen (think oxy-acetylene torch). Now that will cool your charge down and build big power, unfortuantely, the O2 will use your pistons and cylinder heads for fuel. Nitrous oxide works well in cooling your intake charge, adding oxidizer, and is cheaper than O2 and much more gentle to your engine.....unless you use too much.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Dry ice in the intake box wont work. Back in the day, I put a fuel line chiller on all my trucks. This actually did 2 things, it cooled the fuel to prevent vapor lock and by cooling made the fuel more dense. I could tell when I had the fuel cooled, but it would only last about an hour.

I would get a 8 ft coil of copper line and wind it around a small coffee can. Next I would form the excess tubing in a manner that both ends were sticking out of the top of the can. Once I mounted the big can securely, I spliced my fuel line into the copper tubing. I insulated the outside of the big can with expansion foam. I filled it with ice or dry ice whenever needed it

Ahhh, the good old days...lol

Digger
I have used this as well, read about it in an old Hot Road magazine. Worked very well, one of the simplest thing you can do. I added a drain c0ck to my can to make dumping water out easy.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I heard that you can use dry ice to pull dings out. True?
That and the electronics cleaner turned upside down to get all the Co2 out. First you have to heat the surface though. Also if your not careful you can ruin the paint. Best to just pay the 50 bucks or so to have a paintless dent removal guy do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts