Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an brand new FJ trail model last week and had an issue over the weekend...... I was fording a rather large puddle/lake and stopped (not on purpose of course) and had water come in through the door panels into the interior... Does anyone have any advice for drying out the insulation under the panel? Should I remove all the seats and pull all that wet stuff out? I would assume it would eventually mildew if left in? Thanks for help in advance.

Andy Dumb#$#....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I used a large mud hole to test the floating capabilities of my FJ and it does not qualify as a boat. Following my test I had a few inches of muddy water inside. I did not remove anything and let the heat below the truck dry the insulation. Never have had an issue with smell or mildew and that was over a year ago.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah I tested the yellow submarine twice in the last 3 weeks it does leak when submerged there are 2 decent size rubber plugs under each seat take them out for a while and leave the door seals out.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Pittsburgher here.

I put my rig into this lovely mess two months ago. All I did was clean up the mud that was on the floors and let everything else naturally dry. No smell issues to speak of.

BTW, if you are looking for some good trails, BeaveRun has a Dirt Days event this Saturday. There should be a good number of FJs there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That looks exactly like what I did, second day I owned it I undid the floor panel to try to get some air under. Where is Beaverun? I was out in Pine Twp. on some gas well trails. I live in McCandless...

AA

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i hope all you guys that play submarine have got the breather mods done?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How high is the stock breather on the pumpkin , I know I was deeper than that and how do you check if it took in H20 ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
With stock tires it's 18-19" off the pavement. Since you stopped in water that deep, check the ATF, TC and both diffs.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DEWFPO

I am brand new to this stuff and not a mechanic ... so if I may ask how do I check?

AA

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Hi Grateful Andy, based on what you have said, I would take it to the dealer as soon as you can and have them check the ATF, the Transfer Case and both differentials. Water can destroy the automatic if it has gotten in there and it's a $6K bill to replace (typically not covered by warranty).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
279 Posts
***WARNING***

Before you take it to a dealer, know what you are getting yourself into. If you KNOW that you can trust your dealer to take care of you, go ahead. If you even have a slight thought that they wont, I would find a mechanic that you could trust to check it first. The dealership I went through told me left and right that they would take care of me and the first time I brought it in, they went so far as to say that they were voiding my entire warranty and charging me for the labor because I ABUSED my vehicle. This is outrageous considering I TOLD them what I was buying this truck for and that it would not be a mall crawler.

I dont want to scare you, but I had to go through insurance, replace my transmission, still have systems that are quirky from water, and I am not the only one that Toyota has treated this way. I even went through the arbitration process and showed pictures of me doing exactly what they had in the brochures. They sent out some 80 year old guy who was completely unfamiliar with what the vehicle was for the arbitration and the Toyota Field Service Engineer didnt know the vehicle AT ALL.

Long story short, be careful how you get this taken care of and do the breather mods IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks , I appreciate the advice. Wouldn't I have some initial signals that something was wrong it has been 4 days and it has been running perfect? Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris,
Did you have the breather mod done for the differential? if not any problems?

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Guys,

Go here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...transfer-case-rear-differential-e-locker.html

Also, as easy as it is to remove the door threshold covers. I'd pull them to check the mats! Although the mats are rubberized where they meet the threshold covers is not a sealed union. The fact that some folks haven't had problems with mildew does not mean you won't! The drying out may be based on climate, vehicle operations (driving for long periods of time to heat up the floor, etc.).

My advise is to check the fluid in the diffs, transfer case and transmission. If it's milky change it immediately! Check the floor mats also!

Cheers,

dale

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Welcome Andy. :wave:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Chris,
Did you have the breather mod done for the differential? if not any problems?
Yes I do! I have been out plenty of times with folks that do not and have watched them get stuck none of them ever had a problem but to be safe I would have them checked and do the mods they are very easy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dale,
Thanks , the breather mod looks easy and cheap enough. The mats are wet. Would you suggest pulling the seats and the whole floor panel? I had everything lifted up from the back but after 3 days they are still wet..... Thanks for your help and advice for a newbie.

Andy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks WESAYSO

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Thanks , I appreciate the advice. Wouldn't I have some initial signals that something was wrong it has been 4 days and it has been running perfect? Thanks for the comments.
You can wait on mechanical gear boxes (to some degree) like the transfer case and the differentials. But the automatic transmission is a different story. I would get it checked as soon as you can. The clutches get destroyed by water and when something goes seriously awry in these transmissions they are simply replaced and not taken apart and repaired. At least not yet. Hopefully you are fine and have no water in it.

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts