Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What better way to celebrate the Christmas spirit than putting a little bit of RED in my engine bay? Plus, theres a pretty good amount of space there and I didnt want to mount the compressor underneath the FJ in the back-- still got the mount there though...

So without further ado, heres the pics

The parts:

Checking the stock bolt holes

Bam, aluminum spacers

Checking its level (it is)

Double checking level (still is)

And there it sits. Gonna need some paint, wire loom, and I have a spare remote control box to turn this puppy on from the outside.

Combine it with the air distribution blocks that I still havent figured out a perfect mount spot for just yet, and instant air!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the same compresor and mounted it in the same area. It works pretty well but I would recomend a tank. What is the thread pitch on your compresor? Mine is metric!??

I will try to post some pics later. Nice job!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Mine was metric too and had the male port in the wrong spot for me at the time (now it doesnt matter), so I retapped with a 1/4" NPT. If you wanna do the same, make sure to get a bottom tap... the regular kind hits the internal walls before you can get a good thread going.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here's my setup. I also have a 5 gal tank mounted under the back with a fitting as well. I have a pressure switch to maintain the tank pressure. Decent compressor all things considered.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Looks great, very clean install! Not to bust your bubble but I have the same compressor and it works fantastic for the money.....just not well under the hood.:( I mounted mine in the same location last summer and after a day of wheeling I went to air my tires back up and it over heated after one tire. Had to rely on a gas station down the road. Hope you have better luck in that location. I put mine back in the bag and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks great, very clean install! Not to bust your bubble but I have the same compressor and it works fantastic for the money.....just not well under the hood.:( I mounted mine in the same location last summer and after a day of wheeling I went to air my tires back up and it over heated after one tire. Had to rely on a gas station down the road. Hope you have better luck in that location. I put mine back in the bag and haven't had a problem since.
I was thinking about that cause even on the ground, the comp heats up pretty quick. So I rounded up all my spare 3.5" HDD coolers (great how computer parts and car parts are all 12V) and Im figuring out something to keep this puppy from welding itself shut.

And to JDMs... what kind of plumbing are you using to go to the back? I got some high temp nylon, but thinking of switching out to 4' of SS around the compressor/engine bay due to the close proximity of the manifold.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My line is 3/8 rubber standard air hose. You can see it running along the back of the fire wall. Its black. When it blows I'm going to use a nylon style like what framers use.

I am concerned about heat, but I will operate it with the hood open for better cooling. I also have a aluminum plate as the mounting bracket so I hoping that will disapate some of the heat as well. Only time will tell for me!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would like to do this mod. What all do I need for mounting the pump in that spot in the engine bay? Also, how do you run power to it?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to do this mod. What all do I need for mounting the pump in that spot in the engine bay? Also, how do you run power to it?
I used 3/8" x 3/4" al bar stock for the main frame pieces with standard 1/4"-20 thru holes for mounting the compressor. Home depot/lowes 1/4" x 1" would be fine. All the black bolts are metric to mount with the FJ (probably not available at regular stores, but should have at auto stores or specialty bolt shops). If I can, Ill try to round up the approximate heights for the spacers. You can replicate them by drilling 5/16" holes out of al rod, 3/4" or so diamter, or stacking/cutting those AL spacers they sell at home depot/lowes (various sizes, usually around 1/2-1.5").

Heres a few more pics... I routed the wire to the threaded ends on the firewall to the battery.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know I'm resurrecting a thread from way back...but any update OP?

I just bought what looks to be a very similar compressor to yours and am decided how to mount it up under the hood.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,940 Posts

I just bought what looks to be a very similar compressor to yours and am decided how to mount it up under the hood.
@ducky has yet to log in since Feb, but since I am researching the same project I am curious too lol. I am tired of hauling it around in the back.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tis me. Still works in the spot but I havent pulled the compressor bolts out since I installed it and unlike my front lights, I didnt document it up since I just sat in the hardware aisle and guessed the bolt sizes. All you need is about 1-2" spacers (in height) to clear the curve of the wheel wells though.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Ya those bad boys heat up fast, was thinking about fitting mine with a fan.

·
Registered
931 Posts
After almost 5 years of running mine it finally seized from heat. I tore it apart and the piston ended up wearing into the case. I think mine had it worse being that I had to mount it over the exhaust manifolds due to the intake. All in all it was a great compressor. I would just keep it clear of the heat.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,940 Posts
I took a chance and put mine in the bay. I have a lot of room due to the RR snorkel. I got a small ATV winch cover to cover it when not using it...keep mud and water out. We'll see. EVERYTHING under the hood gets pretty darned hot so it will be iffy whether it will last long.

·
Registered
390 Posts
After almost 5 years of running mine it finally seized from heat. I tore it apart and the piston ended up wearing into the case. I think mine had it worse being that I had to mount it over the exhaust manifolds due to the intake. All in all it was a great compressor. I would just keep it clear of the heat.
5 years of use works out to about $8 a year for what I paid. :wink

Thanks for the update!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts

Afternoon Tackleberry,
Just bring my tires up from 20psi make's my VIAIR so hot I need to cool it down before putting it back in the bag. Went out to the store yesterday and when I came back the temp read 111 degrees out side because the temp gauge sensor is located in the engine compartment. With out a way to keep the compressed cool (maybe its own fan?) I think your asking for trouble.
Happy Fathers Day!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Afternoon Tackleberry,
Just bring my tires up from 20psi make's my VIAIR so hot I need to cool it down before putting it back in the bag. Went out to the store yesterday and when I came back the temp read 111 degrees out side because the temp gauge sensor is located in the engine compartment. With out a way to keep the compressed cool (maybe its own fan?) I think your asking for trouble.
Happy Fathers Day!
I know a lot of people that mount them in the left rear of the bay where people mount their dual battery. I just mounted mine in the back. I also added an adjustable popoff set at 40psi so I don't have to hang out over the tire when filling. :rocker:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I bought a pancake style compressor from Harbor Freight on sale for $39.99 and installed a 750W inverter $60.00 in the rear cargo area. Perhaps not as pretty, but gets the job done. Oh, it did not come with any stickers either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts