Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to design and build my own Duel Fuel & Hi-Lift Jack Rack for the FJ. I want to get some feed back on the design. I have looked at existing racks out there and have not found what I wanted. They make a nice rack similar for a jeep, but not for the FJ. I want to keep the COG down, I didn’t want to mount fuel above the roof line, the closer I can keep the weight around the COG, the better handling I’ll get from the vehicle.

Ok, doing some preliminary calculations on the weight of fuel (Unleaded Gasoline) I found it differs a little on the weight around the 6.2 lbs, so I decided to use a higher number for a SWL (Safe Working Load). Now I know the weight is not going to be “Static” since we are dealing with a liquid, so looking at Dynamic loading, I used a figure of 9.5 lbs for the fuel weight. This gives me a figure of around 95lbs for 10 gallons of fuel. I wanted also a rack that would fit up to a 35” dia. Tire. I also wanted a place to mount a Hi Lift Jack on the rack too. I decided to use the existing attachment points of the rear spare tire carrier. Thus distributing the weight evenly outwards from the attachment points. Here is what I’m working on, I would like to get some feed back on the rough design from everyone, thanks. This is in the development stage right now. I will then move to a prototype.

Thanks

[/img]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any idea how much additional weight can be added to the rear door/spare attachment? Would you need to add additional bracing inside the door to support the weight of gas/jacks?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea how much additional weight can be added to the rear door/spare attachment? Would you need to add additional bracing inside the door to support the weight of gas/jacks?
I'll be coming inside with a (2) metal braces that run the length to each of the bolts, this should reinforce the whole rack system.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
465 Posts
kept thinking this would be the style to do it ;)

but how to mount it up that way
I miss my old FJ40 for that alone :) heheheh

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Subscribing...

I had planned on taking my Hi-Lift off of my rack with the Fourtreks mounts, and going with the bigger Fourtreks rings up front on the ARB to get the weight of the jack off of the roof.

Owner Luke is out of the ARB sized rings now for the tubing part of the bumper.

I like the design back aft for the jerry cans, but I may still carry the jack up front.

Please keep us posted all what drilling is involved in the door.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kept thinking this would be the style to do it ;)
I think so too ;)

Subscribing...

I had planned on taking my Hi-Lift off of my rack with the Fourtreks mounts, and going with the bigger Fourtreks rings up front on the ARB to get the weight of the jack off of the roof.

I like the design back aft for the jerry cans, but I may still carry the jack up front.

I keep everyone updated, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
IMHO this looks like a great idea and an excellent clean design. Plus it might encourage tailgaters to back tha f off. Are you planning to incorporate a hinged arm to latch the fuel can in place, and some latches for the jack, or just bungee them down?

PS: Unrelated OBTW, Sam's is selling the 6.5 GL Plastic Blitz Gas Cans for $5 right now, at least here (dual handle, self ventilating).

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMHO this looks like a great idea and an excellent clean design. Plus it might encourage tailgaters to back tha f off. Are you planning to incorporate a hinged arm to latch the fuel can in place, and some latches for the jack, or just bungee them down?

PS: Unrelated OBTW, Sam's is selling the 6.5 GL Plastic Blitz Gas Cans for $5 right now, at least here (dual handle, self ventilating).
Thanks.....Yes, there will be a system for both fuel and jack, no bungee's. I want the load to stay firm with very little movement. :)

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Ok, I decided to design and build my own Duel Fuel & Hi-Lift Jack Rack for the FJ. I want to get some feed back on the design.
PM sent -- I love the design and think you out-did yourself -- even at the high standard of Mad Mike stuff we've grown to expect! The weight might be an issue but outside of that concern -- WINNER!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Should look/work great... Nice work Mike. I'll be watching how this one turns out. =)

I'll be coming inside with a (2) metal braces that run the length to each of the bolts, this should reinforce the whole rack system.

Will the braces be inside the door for support of the weight in the frame? I understand how the outside will be, i think mounted before the spare tire goes on right?

Can't wait to see how this will turn out... =)

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
PM sent -- I love the design and think you out-did yourself -- even at the high standard of Mad Mike stuff we've grown to expect! The weight might be an issue but outside of that concern -- WINNER!
I am still doing some research & calc's on what the door can support for weight. I think it will be a nice design myself. :cowsmile:

Should look/work great... Nice work Mike. I'll be watching how this one turns out. =)

Will the braces be inside the door for support of the weight in the frame? I understand how the outside will be, i think mounted before the spare tire goes on right?

Can't wait to see how this will turn out... =)
Yes the braces go on before the spare. Thanks :D

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the Hi-Lift on your ARB when you get the rings.

Subscribing...

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Will do.
Are you a subscriber to 4WD Toyota Owner magazine?

I turned on owner David Zartman to Luke's products around Christmas time when he covered the article on me in the May/June issue on the install of my ARB bumper, winch, and OME lift.

In the new July/August issue they put Luke's Hi-Lift mounts on their ARB bumper.
Not on the FJC, but another one of their rigs.
There are pictures there of it.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Yes. Got misplaced but I just took a look at it. Do you think this is a good way to go, not to distracting? It sure woud be easier than lifting up to the roof! I'll give Luke a call. He has helped me a lot in the past.

Thanks!

Will do.
Are you a subscriber to 4WD Toyota Owner magazine?

I turned on owner David Zartman to Luke's products around Christmas time when he covered the article on me in the May/June issue on the install of my ARB bumper, winch, and OME lift.

In the new July/August issue they put Luke's Hi-Lift mounts on their ARB bumper.
Not on the FJC, but another one of their rigs.
There are pictures there of it.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I am scheduled to get a set of new rings as soon as they come in.

The FJ rack can more than handle the weight of the jack, it is just that i think it throws the COG around to much having all that weight on the side.

Might be better at the back of the rack, but I want to try the ARB bumper of this new design that Shadow is making.

Many other rigs carry the jack on their front bumpers, and yes, so easy to get to, not that it is to hard now.
I can do it on my tippy toes, even with the OME lift.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is another pic showing what it will look like from the side too. :D

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 93 Posts