Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
wow that is one hell of a nice design id like one so i can carry some gas when i go to arizona ,florida, and canada

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
wow that is one hell of a nice design id like one so i can carry some gas when i go to arizona ,florida, and canada
Thanks, I'm working on it :D

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Call it the "Shadow Mount"

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Call it the "Shadow Mount"
:lol:

If you are planning on selling these I would be very interested. Less influence on the COG is can be extremely important on the trails. The design looks like a winner. Nice job, can't wait to see the finished product.
I'm just designing for myself right now. If everything works out, and there is some interest in the rack, well...We will have to just wait and see :D

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Great idea Mike.

Simple elegant solution.

Does it eclipse the license plate at all?

Check out this photo.

I saw several people sitting on their spare tires at the Summit, and this guy was certainly not the biggest guy I saw doing this.

The wieght wouldn't seem to be an issue with the door closed.

I would love something like this.

Let me know if you need any help with the design development.

Looking forward to seeing that new lift as well.

Attachments

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Great idea Mike.

Simple elegant solution.

Does it eclipse the license plate at all?

Check out this photo.

I saw several people sitting on their spare tires at the Summit, and this guy was certainly not the biggest guy I saw doing this.

The wieght wouldn't seem to be an issue with the door closed.

I would love something like this.

Let me know if you need any help with the design development.

Looking forward to seeing that new lift as well.
Thanks Vince, I agree; I don’t foresee a real weight problem, I am thinking about maybe adding a quick release support underneath the rack, which will not interfere with the hitch. This way the intire load would be supported when the door is closed so that no undue stress will be applied directly to the door and the hinges. The only thing when using this rack you would not want to allow the door to “swing” openly on it’s own. Which is no big deal to me, I always have my hand on the door when opening, not letting it swing outward by itself. Thanks :)

P.S. The Plate will probably have to be relocated on to the rack. I will deal with that one a little more down the road :D

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Thanks Vince, I agree; I don’t foresee a real weight problem, I am thinking about maybe adding a quick release support underneath the rack, which will not interfere with the hitch. This way the intire load would be supported when the door is closed so that no undue stress will be applied directly to the door and the hinges. The only thing when using this rack you would not want to allow the door to “swing” openly on it’s own. Which is no big deal to me, I always have my hand on the door when opening, not letting it swing outward by itself. Thanks :)

P.S. The Plate will probably have to be relocated on to the rack. I will deal with that one a little more down the road :D
Take a look at this!

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Are there panels on the outsides of where your gas cans will be mounted? The side view in your .dwg seems to portray this, but I don't see them in the rear view. I'd want ample protection from anything knocking into a gas can on the back of my FJ. It'd be one thing if I had a clearer line-of-sight, but since the FJ inherently obscures this field-of-vision, I'd want to make sure anything I might back a can of flammable liquid into won't puncture the container.

Also, have you considered making your gear rack so that any items on it can be secured? ...Just a thought.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ok, I decided to design and build my own Duel Fuel & Hi-Lift Jack Rack for the FJ. I want to get some feed back on the design. I have looked at existing racks out there and have not found what I wanted. They make a nice rack similar for a jeep, but not for the FJ. I want to keep the COG down, I didn’t want to mount fuel above the roof line, the closer I can keep the weight around the COG, the better handling I’ll get from the vehicle.

Ok, doing some preliminary calculations on the weight of fuel (Unleaded Gasoline) I found it differs a little on the weight around the 6.2 lbs, so I decided to use a higher number for a SWL (Safe Working Load). Now I know the weight is not going to be “Static” since we are dealing with a liquid, so looking at Dynamic loading, I used a figure of 9.5 lbs for the fuel weight. This gives me a figure of around 95lbs for 10 gallons of fuel. I wanted also a rack that would fit up to a 35” dia. Tire. I also wanted a place to mount a Hi Lift Jack on the rack too. I decided to use the existing attachment points of the rear spare tire carrier. Thus distributing the weight evenly outwards from the attachment points. Here is what I’m working on, I would like to get some feed back on the rough design from everyone, thanks. This is in the development stage right now. I will then move to a prototype.

Thanks

Drag racers put a mesh like sponge in their tanks to keep fuel from sloshing, something like this I donn't see with Jerry Cans today. It would be cool if someone made this. O and the rack anadized Alum.Red, Blue, Green. Insted of painted steel.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

A metal plate on the bumper step with a roller attached to the bottom of the rack would transfer alot of the weight straight down onto the bumper when the door was closed. The roller would roll off the bumper when the door opens, and back onto the metal plate when closed, no need for a quick disconnect. A little hump or depression milled into the metal plate could help to keep the roller in the correct position when the door is closed. You would just have to figure out how to do it for those that didn't have OEM bumpers.

Sorry, I am no good with computer design tools, and I can't get the CAD program in my head to export to the computer, but believe me, the design in my head would work.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Take a look at this!
Nice Vince. I like that. I'll be getting in contact with you shortly :D

Are there panels on the outsides of where your gas cans will be mounted? The side view in your .dwg seems to portray this, but I don't see them in the rear view. I'd want ample protection from anything knocking into a gas can on the back of my FJ. It'd be one thing if I had a clearer line-of-sight, but since the FJ inherently obscures this field-of-vision, I'd want to make sure anything I might back a can of flammable liquid into won't puncture the container.
Yes the rear also has a panel that holds the fuel can in place, it wraps around the cans.

Also, have you considered making your gear rack so that any items on it can be secured? ...Just a thought.
????. Everything IS secured, the fuel cans will have a 'Secure Locking" system. You can't have fuel cans rattling around on the rear or they would fall off...

Drag racers put a mesh like sponge in their tanks to keep fuel from sloshing, something like this I donn't see with Jerry Cans today. It would be cool if someone made this. O and the rack anadized Alum.Red, Blue, Green. Insted of painted steel.
Thats a good idea, but colors are a little down the road right now, I need to concentrate on function right now, thanks :)

A metal plate on the bumper step with a roller attached to the bottom of the rack would transfer alot of the weight straight down onto the bumper when the door was closed. The roller would roll off the bumper when the door opens, and back onto the metal plate when closed, no need for a quick disconnect. A little hump or depression milled into the metal plate could help to keep the roller in the correct position when the door is closed. You would just have to figure out how to do it for those that didn't have OEM bumpers.

Sorry, I am no good with computer design tools, and I can't get the CAD program in my head to export to the computer, but believe me, the design in my head would work.
I know what your talking about, the only problem with that ype of system, is most that go off-roading that will be needing this type of extra fuel to be carried, will more than likely not have a stock bumper. I am approching this design with after market bumpers in mind. The reason why most go to an aftermarket bumper, is for Approch & Departure Angles, the stock bumper is ok, but not very heavy duty for any serious off-road use. :)

Thanks for the on going input everyone, in the next few days I'll be working on developing a prototype to work with, thanks. Now that I'm back home I have to mail out everyones SCUBA driver stickers :D

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Not to hijack this thread, but....

I am sure that everyone who is watching this thread with baited breath is also watching this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/man-fre/32767-fj-cruiser-auxiliary-fuel-tank.html but maybe there were a few who missed it.

I love that we have so many options for the FJ!

Kudos to shadow warrior for his idea!

Hijacking over...
Thanks...:cowsmile:

So..uh... shadow...

You going to accept paypal or what? :D
With you Joel, let's see...uh...I here Barter is Smarter...A little CNC work :) I a little ways away from it being ready for market just yet buddy :D

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Will there be some sort of rubber cushioning where the jack and cans mount to the rack to reduce noise / chafing?
Chafing is BAD. I heard Shaddow Warrior is just planning on using a lot of Goldbaums Power to prevent that.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Will there be some sort of rubber cushioning where the jack and cans mount to the rack to reduce noise / chafing?
The answer to your question is yes. Guy's cut me some slack here, I still have to make a prototype, then I look into all those little details. :)

Chafing is BAD. I heard Shaddow Warrior is just planning on using a lot of Goldbaums Power to prevent that.
:lol: I don't like chafing.....I just don't:cowsmile:

41 - 60 of 93 Posts